Quantcast

Vegan and being active....

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
So I have recently gone vegan for a health related issue. It's working GREAT for what I wanted it to do and I've been very good about sticking to it, this is from a person who used to eat a LOT of meat and almost no vegetables.

Problem is that lately (about 4 months into it), I don't have as much energy as I used to; and I never had a ton of energy to start with (I’ve always run out of steam before my friends).

I sleep more and do not feel refreshed when I wake up.

I'm so tired lately that when I get home I don't feel like doing anything!

I am bonking on relatively short and easy rides, some of which can be traced to my lack of time on the saddle lately - but that's only been a few weeks, not enough to make me suck as bad as I did this weekend.

I've just started searching for and found a few good books with recipes for vegans; however the books are not specifically geared towards active people (although I just realized I should search for ‘athlete’ and ‘vegan’). So I figured I’d see what some fellow monkeys do.

Anyone have any good suggested reading/sites that can help me out? After this weekend I realized that I really need to start taking this new diet a little more seriously!

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
I have no experience (or desire to experience) with living on a vegan diet. But I've had nutrition shoved down my throat all my life (for family health issues).

I can almost garontee your diet is what is causing your early fatigue and lack of energy.

If you insist on staying vegan, you aught to look into a serious array of vitamins and amino acids that your body isn't getting. A nutritionists advice would be well worth the expense.

Other than that, going vegan is a personal choice and I respect that. I encourage you to take a good look at your reasons, and weigh that against your health. There are other ways of combating the issues that drive many people to veganism (is that a word?). I feel that eating organic or locally grown as much as possible is much more effective (and healthier) than simply avoiding eggs.

Much of the vegan or "organic" items you purchase in a store were trucked in from out of state. I don't consider that "organic". But that's just me.

Good luck.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Yeah - The amino acids have been suggested by a few friends, one who is vegetarian and has 10x the power and energy that I ever had. I am looking to find something to help me learn more about what I need to do - advice and help is great, but if I want to sustain it I need to LEARN about it.

A nutritionist is probably the smart move...

Going vegan wasn't a personal choice - it was suggested by a doctor to help get ride of a nuisance medical issue that I've had for almost 30 years. It has done more in 4 months than 30 years (at a thousand + dollars per year) of medical science and prescription drugs has done.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Yeah - The amino acids have been suggested by a few friends, one who is vegetarian and has 10x the power and energy that I ever had. I am looking to find something to help me learn more about what I need to do - advice and help is great, but if I want to sustain it I need to LEARN about it.

A nutritionist is probably the smart move...

Going vegan wasn't a personal choice - it was suggested by a doctor to help get ride of a nuisance medical issue that I've had for almost 30 years. It has done more in 4 months than 30 years (at a thousand + dollars per year) of medical science and prescription drugs has done.

I dont really have anything of substance to add, but Im curious, when you say you've gone "vegan" is it the full deal? No leather shoes, wallet, etc? Or just in terms of diet?

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
I dont really have anything of substance to add, but Im curious, when you say you've gone "vegan" is it the full deal? No leather shoes, wallet, etc? Or just in terms of diet?
Diet only.

For me it's not about the animal... it's about my health and how my body reacts to things.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Try PMing BMXman. He doesn't seem to be around much anymore but he's vegan and racing at the top levels of the sport I believe. He can probably point you in the right direction.

dhchix

Chimp
Mar 26, 2006
NC
So I have recently gone vegan for a health related issue. It's working GREAT for what I wanted it to do and I've been very good about sticking to it, this is from a person who used to eat a LOT of meat and almost no vegetables.

Problem is that lately (about 4 months into it), I don't have as much energy as I used to; and I never had a ton of energy to start with (I’ve always run out of steam before my friends).

I sleep more and do not feel refreshed when I wake up.

I'm so tired lately that when I get home I don't feel like doing anything!

I am bonking on relatively short and easy rides, some of which can be traced to my lack of time on the saddle lately - but that's only been a few weeks, not enough to make me suck as bad as I did this weekend.
I'm not vegan but a while back I was feeling the same things your are going through....tired, didn't want to do anything, slept a lot..etc. I started taking a vitamin B complex and it has really helped me. I still have my days but not as often. I also drink Amino Vital before my workouts or riding. Good stuff. You can get it at GNC. Good luck!

TBFKAHG

Monkey
Aug 11, 2005
There was an article a couple of months back in Dirt Rag or Bike about a vegan endurance racer who does a lot of 24 hour races and such and he outlined his diet. Unfortunately I don't have the magazine with me right now but it might be worth looking for.
Plenty of vitamins in veggies and stuff so it's things like iron, protein, and other things that you probably need to get through suppliments.
Protein shakes are a cheap way to get the protein that your body needs and protein contains amino acids so you kill 2 birds with one stone.
Are you actually "vegan" or just vegetarian? If vegan you'll want to stick with soy protein over whey since whey protein is made from milk.
Here's my protein shake recipe:
8 oz. chocolate milk (soy or rice version for the vegans of course)
15-25 grams of protein (soy or whey)
1 ripe banana
spoonfull of peanut butter.

Tastes great and has plenty of protein.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
There was an article a couple of months back in Dirt Rag or Bike about a vegan endurance racer who does a lot of 24 hour races and such and he outlined his diet. Unfortunately I don't have the magazine with me right now but it might be worth looking for.
Plenty of vitamins in veggies and stuff so it's things like iron, protein, and other things that you probably need to get through suppliments.
Protein shakes are a cheap way to get the protein that your body needs and protein contains amino acids so you kill 2 birds with one stone.
Are you actually "vegan" or just vegetarian? If vegan you'll want to stick with soy protein over whey since whey protein is made from milk.
Here's my protein shake recipe:
8 oz. chocolate milk (soy or rice version for the vegans of course)
15-25 grams of protein (soy or whey)
1 ripe banana
spoonfull of peanut butter.

Tastes great and has plenty of protein.
D'oh - I remember that article... the guy is insane, he does more miles in a month than half the people here do in a year (self included).

My diet is Vegan - no animal protiens.

I'll give that shake a shot - thanks!

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I was vegan for six months a couple years ago.

I got really skinny and really fast...I ate a lot of TVP and protein shakes, never had any energy complaints.

I'm contemplating going lacto-ovo veggie. Being fast again would be nice, but this time I'm not living on mommy and daddy's bill to buy me expensive soy products from the faux-hippie organic store...

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Try PMing BMXman. He doesn't seem to be around much anymore but he's vegan and racing at the top levels of the sport I believe. He can probably point you in the right direction.

thanks Echo....I haved missed the monkey and should be back on regularly pretty soon I just need to get my immagration status worked out and get my leg/anke taken care off.

Boomer I got your PM but I do have a few questions.

How often do you eat per day?
What's your ratio of carbs to protein?
Do you take any supplements?
Have you made any other lifestyle changes?....D

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
I scanned it for ya, you can get it here.

I'm ovo-lacto, though I don't drink milk (I do eat LOTS of cheese). Because you are fairly new veganism, your lack of energy problems are probably due to your body adjusting to the new diet and possibly your diet changing as you modify and tweak it.

Do some research on the internet, pick up a vegan recipe book, and you'll be feeling great in no time.