Quantcast

Video help needed

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
So recently I started to get into video, I've been shooting on an XL-2, capturig on a DV deck, and editing in Final Cut, no problems there. But I decided to try and digitize and store all my old video footage so I don't have to wory about my super 8 camcorder dying and not being able to veiw the footage.

So what I need is a device that I can plugh the red/white/yellow cables into and capture the footage from. I need this to work on my G5 tower, and idealy on my MacPro (near future). I have found a few options but they are $800-$1200, I would like to find something under $100, any suggestions?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Hunh? $800-1000?!

The Plextor PX-TV402U is very well regarded and is well under $200. It's an external USB unit, has a hardware MPEG encoder and all the features you could want.

If you don't mind putting the burden on your CPU to the all the MPEG encoding, you can easily drop down to the under $100 range...

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
A few of those usb2 and FW tv ins will give you this functionality. As BV said tho, the CPU will need to do all of the encoding. With a high end machine it is no issue. With a g4 powerbook or something you will want to blow your brains out (not sure if you are on mac or pc).

Just be careful it will spit out a format you like. My dad has some dazzle thing that uses a proprietary format, so he is pretty much screwed.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
O.K. I'll hit up Fry's tomarrow see what they have to offer. That widget that B.V. mentioned seems like the right idea, but isn't Mac compatable.

Transcend, I have a quad core G5 so that end should be covered.