Quantcast

Vino lovers, is he in or out?

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Cyclingnews said:
Astana Würth bound for Strasbourg, but no team presentation
The Astana-Würth team is steadfastly continuing with its plans to ride the Tour de France, regardless of the ASO, the CAS, Operacion Puerto or anything else. The teams cars and buses set out yesterday, while the riders spent the night in Madrid before arriving in Strasbourg Wednesday in time for the scheduled medical tests, Spanish Eurosport reported.

One question, however, is which riders will be participating. According to the news story, the nine riders are Alexander Vinokourov, Andrey Kashechkin, Alberto Contador, Luis Leon Sanchez, Carlos Barredo, Isidro Nozal, Joseba Beloki, Allan Davis and Sergio Paulinho. It had previously been announced that Jörg Jaksche and Assan Bazayev would ride, instead of Barredo and Paulinho.

The team may be counting on outside help in its bid to participate. According to the International Herald Tribune, Kazakh rider Kashechkin, told L'Equipe that the president of Kazakhstan would be protesting the proposed exclusion to French President Jacques Chirac.

"This is going to become an affair of state," Kashechkin warned, citing no sources, and added. "There are some important French investments in our country," according to the IHT.
The ASO says they aren't in. The team says they are. The CAS isn't going to rule until Friday. The circus of the Tour is really going to be a circus this year.

There will be twice a day raids by French police. Journalists will be living in dumpsters used by the teams. The random drug tests will target anyone even mentioned by the press as being dirty.

Its not going to be about the ride this year.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I know, the timing of this thing is horrible. They probably waited to release all this stuff so their would be extra hype around the tour..publicity and such. I for one hope Vino rides the Tour.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
I've gotten so sick of this guilty until proven innocent mentality. The ones who are doing all of this claim they love the sport but all they love is the publicity they generate and could careless what they do to the sport or the folks they implicate on a whim.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
On the other hand, guys like David Millar never failed one test, but they caught him with EPO apparently and he is out.

My friends who raced in Europe have a very dim view about the drug use in the peleton. Maybe police raids is the only thing that will clean up the sport....

mogulskr

Monkey
Aug 28, 2002
NH
The Toninator said:
that would be cool but i dont think it's fair that Azevado isnt riding for CG. he was tops a couple years back.
Watching OLN on sunday it looked like Disco was going with 4 and choosing the leader after the first mountain stages. They were

Azevado
Hincapie
Savadelli
Popovich