Quantcast

Vista alternatives

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
so it appears that Nero is not supported by Vista, and i've run into a few other apps that i've got that are not Vista-friendly too (tuneup utilities, etc).

BV and others, any suggestions for alternatives?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i found a version of Nero Lite which was advertised to work w/ Vista, but i've not tried it yet.

i snagged a copy of some TuneUp thing via a torrent site and it seemed to work pretty well.

another thing which kinda sucked is that i'd installed my copy of PS on my old (dead) PC and then my laptop. i had to deactivate my laptop copy so i could load it on my new PC (obviously i couldn't deactivate it from a machine i can't get to boot). it'd be nice to have two versions of CS running.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Nero is bloatware now, ugh. I like CD Burner XP.

TuneUp Utilities has a Vista version out, I've used it.

We need the "etc." if you want other recommendations ;)

Why would you want two versions of CS..? edit: Oh, you mean one on your laptop, one on your desktop? Just call Adobe and explain that you couldn't deactivate the old one due to an unbootable PC.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Nero 8 Ultra Edition is on sale at Best Buy for $70 right now or $63.99 download from Nero direct.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
free + works = works for me.

in other news, some piece of software i installed didn't play nice w/ Vista, as i was getting periodic 'windows exception error' popups as iTunes was loading cover art.

i didn't do a re-boot after each install of software, and i probably should have, eh?

end result = i needed to do a clean install today. :(

damnit, i hate computers.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
oh, and having the screen go black during software installs sucks...let the status bars stay on there, otherwise i'm paranoid that nothing's working correctly. is this a Vista thing?

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
I've never had my screen go black, but have always had the program window "gray out" and say not responding. Waiting usually solved the issue since in was more than a memory thing.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
maybe it's the screensaver.

probably is.

hey - i tried to install FLAC frontend and it said there was a file missing. is this not Vista-ready?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Free Lossless Audio Codec.

Just compresses an audio file losslessly, so you can rip your music collection off CDs with no loss in fidelity.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
but to get a true lossless rip via EAC, all the nerds come out w/ the specific rules (cue sheet, secure mode, etc.).

:nerd:
And yet a majority of "audiophiles" can't tell the difference in a blind test between lossy VBR format at a decent rate and FLAC:monkeydance: