Quantcast

vodka watermelon?

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
I'm havin a party this weekend and a friend suggested I make a vodka watermelon. Have any of you guys ever done this. I've read on some sites that it turns to slush and u drink it out of the melon, and others say it stays whole and you cut it up and eat it. I'd like it to stay whole and eat it. Also do you pour a whole fith in there or what.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I've done this a few times with my buddies. Drill a hole, and slowly pour a fifth into the watermelon.

It works best if you are patient. If you cut the hole and tip the watermelon upside-down for an hour, let some of the water drain, pour some vodka in, roll the watermelon around a bit and let it sit for a while, pour some more in, etc.

You can also cut the melon in half and pour it in like that.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I have always heard stories about doing it but have never seen it done. I just thought it was an Urban Legend.

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
binary visions said:
I've done this a few times with my buddies. Drill a hole, and slowly pour a fifth into the watermelon.

It works best if you are patient. If you cut the hole and tip the watermelon upside-down for an hour, let some of the water drain, pour some vodka in, roll the watermelon around a bit and let it sit for a while, pour some more in, etc.

You can also cut the melon in half and pour it in like that.
did u let it sit over night or anything...and did it stay whole or turn to slush...because one site said that you have to freeze it for it to stay whole

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
cannondalejunky said:
did u let it sit over night or anything...and did it stay whole or turn to slush...because one site said that you have to freeze it for it to stay whole
We let it sit overnight in a 'fridge.

yah bore a hole carfefully b\c you will need to plug the hole with the piece of melon cork. I don't drill but i use a long narrow knife.
So try to drain the melon a little bit.
Add some vodka(please not the cheap stuff) a little at a time and recork and roll that melon around, repeat,repeat until the vodka is all in the melon.
Put in the fridge overnight but try to roll the melon every few hours before and after it goes in the fridge.
You have down a good job when people say. " hey, are you sure this thing had vodka in it?":love:

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
LOOnatic said:
yah bore a hole carfefully b\c you will need to plug the hole with the piece of melon cork. I don't drill but i use a long narrow knife.
So try to drain the melon a little bit.
Add some vodka(please not the cheap stuff) a little at a time and recork and roll that melon around, repeat,repeat until the vodka is all in the melon.
Put in the fridge overnight but try to roll the melon every few hours before and after it goes in the fridge.
You have down a good job when people say. " hey, are you sure this thing had vodka in it?":love:

so if i do that it'll stay whole right and wont turn to slush

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Oh, yeah, that's really important: use good vodka for this. Otherwise the whole thing is gonna taste nasty, and do you really want to ruin a perfectly good watermelon when you could have just eaten it along side the nasty vodka?

cannondalejunky said:
so if i do that it'll stay whole right and wont turn to slush

Room temp and alcohol is what turns the watermelon meat into slush city.
use good booze and your fridge to offset this.
Oh, i chill the vodka before i put it into the melon.
Have fun brah:evil:

EDIT: try to use a really ripe melon so that the sweet covers to booze taste. Believe you me, doing this wrong or using cheap vodka will make this fail miserably.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
LOOnatic said:
Don't get me going on your "band camp" escapades N8:rofl:

Lemme guess that you were making Vodka watermelons and jammimg to the doobie brothers.....:dancing:

Uhh..no... Queen and Molly Hatchet.

Thank GOD my enjoyment of that crap music was short lived!!! It wasn't soon after that I was listening to The Cure, The Police, Talking Heads, ect.... :)