Quantcast

Vote To Change Venue Of Tahoe GRT Race

NAYR

Monkey
Jul 13, 2009
Truckee
I will be really disappointed if Northstar runs Gypsy for the Pro GRT. The race belongs on on Dogbone or Karpiel.

Tayrob

Monkey
Jan 3, 2008
I really hope it gets changed.
Gypsy isn't the right trail for a GRT for all the reasons they give,plus that fact that it'd be a 2min/sub 2min. course for pros.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Whatever. Gypsys a fun trail and 50x better/rougher/more technical//physically demanding then some of the lame ass trails like the plattekill race. (Holy cow that trail looks lame from that sicklines video btw). But yes karpiel would be better. Run it through std. Id drive up there just to watch the xarnage. Modern race courses are pathetic compared to the old school stuff like that vail WC course.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Whatever. Gypsys a fun trail and 50x better/rougher/more technical//physically demanding then some of the lame ass trails like the plattekill race. (Holy cow that trail looks lame from that sicklines video btw). But yes karpiel would be better. Run it through std. Id drive up there just to watch the xarnage. Modern race courses are pathetic compared to the old school stuff like that vail WC course.
Wow! The vid looks smooth because the rider is one smooth dude! No Platty experience, no talkee! :rofl:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
agreed the video looks lame, but what was shown is NOT the course in its entirety. Some of the larger technical features were still under being worked on when that video was shot, and were not ridden/shown.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I've only ridden at Platty once in my life and that is the most assanine post I've ever read about it. And that's hard to say considering how assinine the Platty guys are (jk Ulmer Sr.) . :rofl:

Plattekill is one of the rockiest places you'll ever ride. Heck, if you find dirt and prove to me it's not pummeled rock, I'd be stunned. The course we rode was freshly cut, ran straight down the mountain for the first half and smooth as could be. 2 runs in and you're rock surfing, holding on for dear life and big plates of shale are flipping down the hill next to you with one stuck under your rear wheel rock surfing and a third just hit your back wheel at a 45 degree angle popping you sky high.

Seriously out of the arse post.:thumb:

theBigHeezy

Chimp
Oct 23, 2006
Salt Lake $hitty, UT
also in regard to platty, every pre-race photo/video coverage looks lame. and every race i have been to there has been sick as hell. agreed, if you havent ridden there, dont knock it. it is effing sick there.

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
While I agree that Gypsy isn't the best course for the proGRT, it's not that bad and would be a 100x better than the best fontucky course and it's definitely longer than 2mins, as evidenced by my crash about 2/3's of the way down. :rofl:

I also vote for karpiel or dog bone over Gypsy though, looking forward to this race. Is this race even going to go off with all the snow Tahoe currently has?

Last edited:

olddogbmxer

Monkey
Aug 9, 2007
Plattekill lame ass trails - are you kidding me? Alot of trails look lame in vids
and those of the Plattekill GRT course are only part of the course. Anyone that has ridden there can vouch that there is no such thing as a lame ass race course there.Only thing lame is that stupid post!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
let's put the whole "this mountain vs that mountain" debate to rest. As someone who has ACTUALLY RIDDEN both N* and Platty, they are both great mountains in their own right. I honestly can't say that one is better than the other (well, maybe in terms of amenities, but that's a different discussion). They each have terrain that is challenging and demanding in their own ways.

One thing I can definitely say is that Platty is WAY steeper than any video makes it look. A good number of the difficult/technical sections/drops/features there are very difficult to shoot/film because of this steepness - it's just hard to get to them by foot carrying photo/video equipment.

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
How did this turn into a plattekill thread?
Nothing more needs to be added.

is the proposed trail really that bad? enough to start a FB group and start a whinefest?
Yes and no. Gypsy is actually a pretty fun trail, its got some nice sections and some nice turns, but also has some FR stuff built in. Its also not challenging at all - there is a pretty good amount of speed to it, but its always speed that you're pedaling to attain, not a "I'm going too fast"

I don't think there is a single section of that trail that I've ever felt like I was going too fast and needed to hit the brakes just to ride the trail. Given some of the terrain N* has to offer, it would make more sense to hold the race on a different trail. Make em ride down the waterfall section on dogbone, that will make for good racing. N* is probably worried about injuries and liability or something.

If it comes down to it, gypsy will absolutely sort the best riders from the lesser, but so does sea otter in a normal year, and so did canberra. Its a fun trail, but there are better trails to be had at the same mountain.

I know I certainly won't be watching if its held on gypsy though, cause I'm sure as sh1t not hiking up to watch them do a crappy straight away in to a small (but extremely well built and fun) floater jump, but I'll watch if it finishes in the daytona berms.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I've only ridden at Platty once in my life and that is the most assanine post I've ever read about it. And that's hard to say considering how assinine the Platty guys are (jk Ulmer Sr.) . :rofl:

Plattekill is one of the rockiest places you'll ever ride. Heck, if you find dirt and prove to me it's not pummeled rock, I'd be stunned. The course we rode was freshly cut, ran straight down the mountain for the first half and smooth as could be. 2 runs in and you're rock surfing, holding on for dear life and big plates of shale are flipping down the hill next to you with one stuck under your rear wheel rock surfing and a third just hit your back wheel at a 45 degree angle popping you sky high.

Seriously out of the arse post.:thumb:
Northstar is flatter than a modern runway model.

Plattekill is NOT that rocky...at all. Super fun, maybe. Ultra challenging super steep wet gnar that is the roughest thing I'll ever ride, nuh uh.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
There's been so much footage shown of that place it's not like we're missing any major details of what the terrain is like. I love the relentless boasting from locals who try to convince everyone else just how "gnar" the place is, when it looks nothing more than average.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
The simple difference is this - Plattekill is shale filled and it moves WITH you. That's what makes the rocks challenging. Combine this with the short but uber steep mtn. and you have an always changing course!

Jester

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
Beverly, MA
It's not that bad of a trail. One thing you guys aren't considering is there might be snow on the Vista side. Remember last year it didn't open right away. This winter was way bigger than last year.

http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=8762368&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=00ADEF&fullscreen=1
That course looks fun. I don't see why any body would take the time to put together a facebook group to have the course changed. That is just silly.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
That course looks fun. I don't see why any body would take the time to put together a facebook group to have the course changed. That is just silly.
Because Karpiel is 100 times better and Dog Bone is also.

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
Yeah, Gypsy is fun but is not what I would consider a race course. Karpiel and Dog Bone would be better.

Or, maybe N* could step it up this year and build a new race course. ? It would be great to see a signature race course with a similar committment that they put into Livewire. Of course, that wouldn't happen before this race but maybe it will help them hold off Squaw next year.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
We used to call N* "flatstar" when we were skiing/racing, but it's anything but flat for mountain biking. It doesn't take much elevation change to make for some pretty fast and fun riding. I have a hard time seeing how people could complain much, although it's probably best that they do switch the courses around a bit. It might mean they favor one type of riding a little more, but that would be the point, variety.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
There's been so much footage shown of that place it's not like we're missing any major details of what the terrain is like. I love the relentless boasting from locals who try to convince everyone else just how "gnar" the place is, when it looks nothing more than average.
psssst, your ignorance is showing! you really don't have a clue, so just stop.