Quantcast

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
I just quit my job to wander the country and see friends. (see this thread from the lounge: Original Thread

I'll be posting pics I take along the way. The first installment is from the short jog to my parent's house in Syracuse. I managed to stuff almost all of my worldly belongings in and on my trusty economobile.
I'll only be staying here a couple of days to get things sorted out, then it's back on the road.

chqm8

Chimp
Mar 25, 2008
westport, mass
I envy you.

I wish that I had done this when I was younger and single/no kids/no mortgage etc.

Have a great trip and take lots of pics!!

w00dy

Jun 18, 2004
Some shots of my poor little overloaded car as it traveled from Danbury to Syracuse.

Repacked and ready to roll.

Reposted from my thread in the lounge; the new planned route.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
White dots are stops? If you have time when you drive through KC I might be able to meet you for a ride. Looks like you are stopping in Columbia, correct?

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Warrensburg, MO about an hour east of KC and 1.75hr from Columbia. DNA and I have exchanged PMs about your arrival. I'll try to meet up with you guys if I can. Be kinda cool as I haven't made it out to ride any Columbia trails (assuming you wanna ride in Columbia). I will say that KC has one of the best urban trail systems in the midwest (or anywhere for that matter) at Landahl Park.

w00dy

Jun 18, 2004
Got to Buffalo last weekend. The weather was so nice (80 degrees!) that a couple friends and I decided to hit up the beach at Port Dalhousie just over the border in Ontario. I was not so nice. Actually it was downright cold. They did have a shroom snackbar though, as well as the worlds ugliest vineyards. Not a total loss.

Mashed myself up riding BMX at Buff State yesterday, but managed to get a couple good shots out of it.

...and a bit of video

w00dy

Jun 18, 2004
Here's the fruit of a little ride around the city armed with my camera.
Town Hall

The hubba ledges. So many grinds have been invented right here.

This church is actually the headquarters for Righteous Babe Records and a concert venue.

And a parting shot as I left town.

w00dy

Jun 18, 2004
Rode Ray's MTB Park in Cleveland with JustMtnB44 yesterday. Old camera combined with low lighting conditions made for some pretty blurry images, but here goes anyway.

K

kpedal84

I rode the doberman up at skytop the other day.... F'ing sweet little bike. I'll put up some pics....manuals like a SOB...also theres a whole bunch of fun bridges and drops up there ....some ones been digging too. jumps are a little tight for 26" but doberman is pretty solid in there.

w00dy

Jun 18, 2004
So glad you like it, Kjurt.....I'm more afraid of rockstar. It consistently gives me the shakes.

Forgotten comment about Ray's: For a place sponsored by Moen, the condition of the bathroom is a surprise. That bathroom is where aids came from.

w00dy

Jun 18, 2004
Allright, it's been a while and a few miles since my last update. Time for some more photos.
There's some pretty interesting architecture going on in downtown Pittsburgh:

Couldn't resist.

In case you can't tell what's going on, there's 2 guys on one ladder on the side of a really tall bridge installing a bracket. Holy crap job, Batman. I hope they're getting hazard pay.

My Brooklyn Bars started to crack on me, so Brungeman helped me replace them. I don't think it hurt the look of the bike at all.

On my last day in the burgh I went on a little skatepark mission and visited 3 of the public parks in the area. Makes me a bit jealous, to say the least.
A couple of money shots from the South Park Skatepark:

Much thanks to Justin and Dave (JustMtnB44 and Brungeman) for all your hospitality. It was really good to see you both. Brungeman, please post those dirt jump photos when you get the chance. I'd like to see how those came out.

SquadraCorse

Monkey
Jul 25, 2007
Ridgefield CT
So glad you like it, Kjurt.....I'm more afraid of rockstar. It consistently gives me the shakes.

Forgotten comment about Ray's: For a place sponsored by Moen, the condition of the bathroom is a surprise. That bathroom is where aids came from.
"So there I was, wide awake at 4am in this chicks bed all hopped up on rockstar with a huge boner..."

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Nice Pics of the Burgh!

well I just resized these and did a little touch up on a few.

just a couple of shots from our small dj set.
wOOdy

wOOdy rockin the 20

showing me how to ride my own bike! (you'll see why in a few pics :biggrin: )

wOOdy making some adjustments to the first kicker...

wOOdy killin it on the little line with a big bike!

wOOdy behind the lens catching me in EPIC FAIL MODE :biggrin:

I had a great time, it was great to see you and be a whistle stop on your journey! I hope you enjoyed your stay in the Burgh! :thumb:

good luck and keep up the reports...

w00dy

Jun 18, 2004
Civic still rolls happily as evar. The rear bumper started to come off (rusted out mounting bolt at the edge of the wheel well), but luckily my shorts had some extra string coming out of them cinching up the leg holes. I sacrificed that useless feature and was able to tie everything in place.

w00dy

Jun 18, 2004
Here's a Louisville Installment:

Staying with my friend Bubba from School (yeah, a skinny white guy that goes by Bubba, not what you'd expect).
He's got a pretty kicking little machine shop in his basement.

This is his homebrew CNC workspace. He's going to turn the green mill and possibly the lathe into automated units.

And one of the man himself. In Bubba's defense, he's not as bald as the picture makes him look.

He's been doing a lot of work with Magnesium. It's not the most durable thing in the world, but damn is it light. Pictured is a Magnesium sprocket he gave me.

w00dy

Jun 18, 2004
Louisville has a rad outdoor cement park. It's huge, really well made, totally free, and no helmets required (Darwin-friendly).

The rider isn't all that visible in this one. It's the same guy as the previous pictures in the pipe, so you can get an idea as to the size of it.

w00dy

Jun 18, 2004
...and finally some money shots of Looeyville.
This bridge has a bike lane on it. Just thought that was pretty cool.

The rest of these were shot from the Indiana side of the Ohio River.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Is that a Craftsman clock?

:rofl: bwahahaha!!!

that is about the only thing in that shop that is from sears! nice shop!

how long are you in Loooou ville for?

was there some sort of big storm that delivered all of that driftwood to that damn?

K

kpedal84

I worked at a machine shop two summers in a row. They were an automotive shop ... lots of boring and honing....even some custom babbit bearing making for antiques.......It was fun......Is that a harbor freight milling machine ? ...... whats the Bubba email ...... I know G-code for CNC too ....had to take a class .... Man I wish I had a shop like that....would make bike parts all day

SquadraCorse

Monkey
Jul 25, 2007
Ridgefield CT
He's been doing a lot of work with Magnesium. It's not the most durable thing in the world, but damn is it light. Pictured is a Magnesium sprocket he gave me.
Most of the race car wheels I've used were made out of magnesium...it's pretty decent stuff. Sprocket looks nice.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Bubba has a pretty sweet shop going on there. What does he use it for mostly, just making bike parts?

I like the results of the chainring, how long did it last exactly?

Cool pictures of the Burgh and Louisville, keep 'em coming on your trip!

w00dy

Jun 18, 2004
The chainring lasted about 2 minutes. One good crank would have done it if I were trying to finish it off. Mostly he seems to be making parts to make the machines automated. He hasn't been on his bike much in the past year.