Quantcast

Walking Dead

Big J

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Chicago
Did anyone else catch the first episode? The ending was great......"Hey dumbass, yea...you in the tank."...:rofl:

J

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I do think it is funny apparently 28 Days Later and the Walking Dead have the same opening premise: a guy in a coma.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I do think it is funny apparently 28 Days Later and the Walking Dead have the same opening premise: a guy in a coma.
That crossed my mind last night while watching the show but I think that it's mearly a jumping off point and isn't necessarily basis for the entire show so I'll let it slide.

I really enjoyed it though, thought it was well directed, well shot and very well acted. It took me a few seconds to realize the wife and son with the other officer was really Rick's wife and son. I think that will be an interesting sub-plot not pertaining to the undead. I finished reading World War Z a few weeks ago and I couldn't help but see a lot of parrellels between the two. Can't wait for next sunday night. :thumb:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
That crossed my mind last night while watching the show but I think that it's mearly a jumping off point and isn't necessarily basis for the entire show so I'll let it slide.

I really enjoyed it though, thought it was well directed, well shot and very well acted. It took me a few seconds to realize the wife and son with the other officer was really Rick's wife and son. I think that will be an interesting sub-plot not pertaining to the undead. I finished reading World War Z a few weeks ago and I couldn't help but see a lot of parrellels between the two. Can't wait for next sunday night. :thumb:
Well, it makes for an interesting dramatic tool to relate to the audience: total shock.

Anyone awake would slowly realize what is happening starting with odd reports, witnessing some weird behavior in your town, to widespread attacks and constant tv news bombardment.

Of course, it makes a much more dramatic effect to shock the viewer with total annihilation, which you can see thru the eyes of a person awaking from coma.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
I was impressed but I don't know if I can forgive the fact that he let his horse get eated. It's nice to see a new series worth keeping up with.

Who goes to the city during a zombie apocalypse? DHURFFF

owentking

Chimp
Mar 28, 2010
Mountains of Rock
I finished reading World War Z a few weeks ago and I couldn't help but see a lot of parrellels between the two.:thumb:
That is an amazing book!!! Find it on audio book. Its really good. I've read and listened to it and i liked the audio book more. Another good one by Max Brooks is "A Zombie Survival Guide".

I missed the first episode cause i had to work. I'll have to find it so I can get caught up before this Sunday.

BMADED

Monkey
Nov 3, 2009
808 State
Thought it was great, cant wait untill next week. Although, it did not make up for the Steelers loss. Which has made me sad for the entire week.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
A great, but often missed flick in the zombie film arena:

Fido.

If you've not seen it, check it out. Very worthwhile.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
saw it, dug it. Was his wife making out with his partner? I came in 30 minutes into it, watched it to the the end, then watched the first 30 minutes.....so I got a bit confused.

I hope he figures out how to use the 50 cal on the tank...but he won't.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
I cant wait to see the rest. The comicbook supposedly was awesome.
Comic book/graphic novel is awesome!!! Definitely worth checking out.

Based on the first episode only, which isn't much to go on, it looks like they are covering one issue per episode. This is good, gives them a chance to go pretty deep with the story. I think they did a great job, it is set to high priority on my Tivo!! :thumb:

IIRC, the story came out before 28 Days Later.

Also, he doesn't end up in the tank at the end of the first issue, a little creativity they added. It would be cool if they extended that creative freedom and opened the next episode w/him cutting down a bunch of Zombies using the Browning M2HB :D:D

Last edited:

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Resident Evil starts the same way, hospitalish. Actually, Res 2 i think.

I felt bad for the horse too.

Easy*

Chimp
Oct 8, 2010
Lowell MA
I just watched it tonight and overall I think it was pretty good. A few inconsistencies like when he wakes up his fingernails are freshly trimmed, during the police chase the 2 cruisers run over the spike strip like they didnt know it was there, and (like almost every series with some kind of police or weapons) none of the cops had a round in the chamber when they approach the suspects car. And like usual I found myself saying "Get that god damn gun out" or "pick up some guns and ammo from that deserted military post" lol.

I always notice things like that, especially when it comes to firearms. But I can overlook it when the rest of the story and acting is up to par. It definitely reminds me of WWZ, particularly when he comes upon the rotted out zombie in the park that despite the fact its shredded up still goes at him.

Cant wait for the next episode!

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Yep, very cool.

Why does the word 'zombie' not get uttered? Do they live in a world where 'zombie' is not a word? Is it copywritten and the writers can't use it? Surely he would have wandered around town thinking "Holy ****, those are zombies!". But no. They call them 'walkers'.

CurbJumper

Turbo Monkey
Aug 31, 2010
Central FL
I love this show (well, I love all things Zomb), and I notice some of the inconsistent details, but it's so good I really don't care!

Yep, very cool.

Why does the word 'zombie' not get uttered? Do they live in a world where 'zombie' is not a word? Is it copywritten and the writers can't use it? Surely he would have wandered around town thinking "Holy ****, those are zombies!". But no. They call them 'walkers'.
I've always wondered this too. Like the world they live in has never heard of zombies...

CurbJumper

Turbo Monkey
Aug 31, 2010
Central FL
I think it's pretty BA, I want to check out this World War Z book y'all talking about.
Apparently Max Brooks has a way with words... and zombies. :D

On the topic of the show, how many of you guys think that two-timing whore was banging the friend on the side before SHTF?

Big J

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Chicago
Well that’s a wrap for Season 1 and now I understand how a Walker’s brain functions……:dead:

The first season was a good ride so the next should be even better. Post up if you win that walk on role.

J

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
thought it was pretty good. I'll be interested to see where they go from here. I love how everybody's all "no hope" yet they could always just go back to the old folks' home...strength in numbers, all that.

but whatevs....needs some drama so that my fiance will continue watching it with me...all the zombie killin turned her off.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I think it's pretty BA, I want to check out this World War Z book y'all talking about.
It's a fantastic read, at a certain point in the book I realized that the whole Zombie apocalypse is more a catalyst for much bigger issues that are independent from zombies. It brings up issues of race, gov't, economics, consumerism, social classes, cultural differences etc. and the common thread is that zombies are used to tackle them. It's a much more intelligent read than you would think from a superficial synopsis.

The Walking Dead is taking a similar approach, which is why I think the show has been so well received. Looking forward to the next season.

Krzr3000

Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
I hate to admit how hooked i am on this show. But its frustrating how nothing happens in each episode. Perhaps drama and character development but nothing has changed in their situation...and i would think they would have raided some small town car dealership already.

What got whispered at the end...blonde is infected or his wife is pregnant?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Some interesting news got posted on slashfilm some time ago. The director sacked all the writers and he is going to write himself. He wrote the first 1 episodes which imho had something happen in them.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Will the zombies ever run out of fuel or are they nuclear powered zombies?

They can't reproduce or farm or even scavenge effectively so it's just a waiting game right?

PS. I'd bet money that the secret is.... you're wife's prego! I'd bet even more that he's not the dad, ooooooooo gonna get on zombie Jerry Springer!

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Will the zombies ever run out of fuel or are they nuclear powered zombies?

They can't reproduce or farm or even scavenge effectively so it's just a waiting game right?

PS. I'd bet money that the secret is.... you're wife's prego! I'd bet even more that he's not the dad, ooooooooo gonna get on zombie Jerry Springer!
And the baby is actualy that one armed redneck. We will get a rebirth scene gozu style ;)

Though to be on topic with the zombie thing - they basicly eat themselves and as they need less working bodyparts they have a bit fuel left ;) Though I agree but that ruins the premice of apocalypse. Its hard to call it that when you can just wait for a few months and come back with no troubles.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
If you all read the books............well, you still wouldn't know what he whispered in the end. It isn't in there :D While the show has gone way off track from the book it is very entertaining. Some cheesy effects but most are pretty well done. Definitely one of my favorite shows right now. Bummed next season isn't till October :(

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
Seriously? I thought the acting was cringe worthy and most of the cinematography/sound design was a direct rip-off of 28 days/weeks but nothing like as well done.

I must admit I had to keep watching. Mainly for the trainwreck aspect though:)

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
If you all read the books............well, you still wouldn't know what he whispered in the end. It isn't in there :D While the show has gone way off track from the book it is very entertaining. Some cheesy effects but most are pretty well done. Definitely one of my favorite shows right now. Bummed next season isn't till October :(
I read about 30 issues, I have no idea what he could have whispered.

I think the story from the comic is adequate, but frankly, between the guy who wrote the Green Mile and Shawshank, versus a comic book writer whose name is not Frank Miller, I am counting on the big time Hollywood guy.

badphish

Monkey
Feb 28, 2008
word is also that the whisper was about Lori being pregnant
http://www.thedeadbolt.com/news/109375/the_walking_dead_finale_whisper_news.php

I've been thinking, instead of driving around in a topless jeep and the other non zombie proof vehicles, I think I would go to the closest autobody shop and start welding up a Mad Max type vehicle, then just start running down the zombies in the streets of Atlanta. Surely they can siphon enough fuel to keep the vehicle going for a long time.

Also, I'd hit up the gun shops, police stations and/or military bases for weapons and ammo.

Speaking of weapons, I think it's funny that Rick forgot about the grenade he walked around with in his pocket. Also funny that no one asked if that was a grenade in his pocket or was he just happy to be reunited with his family.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
I've been thinking, instead of driving around in a topless jeep and the other non zombie proof vehicles, I think I would go to the closest autobody shop and start welding up a Mad Max type vehicle, then just start running down the zombies in the streets of Atlanta. Surely they can siphon enough fuel to keep the vehicle going for a long time.
Personally I always wonder how the hell the army dudes in tanks and APCs get taken out. Just keep the hatch closed for crap sake.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Saw this show for the first time Sunday (saw all of Season 1 and the start of Season 2 thx to DVR).

Wow... what a great Sunday evening filler to take the place of "Breaking Bad." Glad there are 13 episodes this season.

Interesting story, hella suspense and action.

I like.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i also caught up on all the episodes saturday and sunday. ( i had to watch 4-6 then 1-3 though)
the show has been somewhat interesting but i cant stand the two cops and their horrible acting.
i do love zombies as much as the next person, so a tv show about walkers is cool.

Last edited:

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
Wow what a great episode last night . I didn't see that coming with pretty much killing off one of the main characters in the first episode .I wish it was Laurie instead of Herschel but her time will come hopefully soon. This should be a good season !