Quantcast

warning : we're heading to a recession

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
A fair amount of stocks are down, good time to buy for the long haul.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Isn't it primarily the financial stocks that have seen the decline? I suspect they'll see even more downside before they turn around.

The market averages are actually up quite nicely since this mortgage nonsense broke.

My stocks went up quite a bit. A large portion of them are in a corporation with a huge financial division, just a financial division that didn't **** up.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
My stocks went up quite a bit. A large portion of them are in a corporation with a huge financial division, just a financial division that didn't **** up.
Let's face it - most non-retarded lenders didn't get too much into that mess.

Sub prime borrowers. It means lending to people who can't afford the loan. Is it really a shock to people that it came to this? :brow:

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Let's face it - most non-retarded lenders didn't get too much into that mess.

Sub prime borrowers. It means lending to people who can't afford the loan. Is it really a shock to people that it came to this? :brow:
They were wrapped into bundles with low risk loans and so it brought the security (I think thats the word) to an A rating. The theory was that the low risk would offset the high risk and they had a formula for it all (an untested one). There was an article that explained why it was having an impact on the stock market, it has nothing to do with bank stock going down....it has everything to do with hedge funds.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
They were wrapped into bundles with low risk loans and so it brought the security (I think thats the word) to an A rating. The theory was that the low risk would offset the high risk and they had a formula for it all (an untested one). There was an article that explained why it was having an impact on the stock market, it has nothing to do with bank stock going down....it has everything to do with hedge funds.
Find me that article - because it appears to be mistaken. :D

Jun 29, 2007
Alabama
Our economy's trouble in lower class bull****. Small businesses are thriving, the middle class is making money like never before, product sales are through the roof despite high prices, and and quality of living is going up across the board. Anyone that thinks our debt and spending have anything to do with the shape of the economy is clueless. Small business runs this country. Not to mention any smart investor could make more money now than anytime in the last 50 years.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Our economy's trouble in lower class bull****. Small businesses are thriving, the middle class is making money like never before, product sales are through the roof despite high prices, and and quality of living is going up across the board. Anyone that thinks our debt and spending have anything to do with the shape of the economy is clueless. Small business runs this country. Not to mention any smart investor could make more money now than anytime in the last 50 years.
Small businesses may employ much of the country but to say they run it is ridiculous. If people have that kind of access to government funds they almost by definition cease to run small businesses.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
What in the motherfvck are you talking about? The middle class is in the ****tiest position it's been in since before the term "middle class" was coined.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
What in the motherfvck are you talking about? The middle class is in the ****tiest position it's been in since before the term "middle class" was coined.
a debt to income ratio of 126% isn't good?? I'm confused :huh:

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
But they got more stuff! And they need more stuff! And they want more stuff!

GIVE ME MORE STUFF!!

:D

I don't know if it's really for more stuff now. When you have kids you have daycare or loose your job, that's 800-1000/month right there. vaccinations, co-pays, growing clothing, gas higher, milk higher,dollar sinking- conservatives make all the basics more so the middle class has to work harder and the old money controlling the basics reap the dividends. working families are like sheep to be fleece, but many don't know to get their money out of a country going to war and inflating their debt.

Thank God congress voted to increase the debt ceiling last week, that will really add value to the dollar in combination to the fed making more money for bad bank loans, which by the way has never been done before.

One thereory is to create a perceived crisis so global players can sell us citizens on the Amero, but that's a pretty crazy rumor in my opinion.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
I don't know if it's really for more stuff now. When you have kids you have daycare or loose your job, that's 800-1000/month right there. vaccinations, co-pays, growing clothing, gas higher, milk higher,dollar sinking- conservatives make all the basics more so the middle class has to work harder and the old money controlling the basics reap the dividends.
Bull$hit. Everybody is still keeping up with the Joneses. Two new cars, a boat, a couple jet skis, mobile phones for every f**king person in the house, a big plasma TV, iPods for ever family member, a 3500 sq foot house with a bedroom for every f**king person in the house...

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Bull$hit. Everybody is still keeping up with the Joneses. Two new cars, a boat, a couple jet skis, mobile phones for every f**king person in the house, a big plasma TV, iPods for ever family member, a 3500 sq foot house with a bedroom for every f**king person in the house...
I've seen it both ways. I have some friends that finance to the gills to get all the big toys, but I have other friends who struggle paycheck to paycheck with two kids. Some of the problems are self-inflicted with over spending on luxury items, but the big problems is the lack of wage increases. With inflation going up up (wasn't it around 4 points last year?) and wages not, we all in effect make less money each year.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
I've seen it both ways. I have some friends that finance to the gills to get all the big toys, but I have other friends who struggle paycheck to paycheck with two kids. Some of the problems are self-inflicted with over spending on luxury items, but the big problems is the lack of wage increases. With inflation going up up (wasn't it around 4 points last year?) and wages not, we all in effect make less money each year.
No - I've highlighted the problem.

Inflation was about 3% last year. Which is fairly average when looking over the last 25 years.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Not compared to the federal gubberments ratio of 800%.....
Is that really what it is??? I knew the national debt was large, but I didn't know it was that big :disgust1: What in the hell is wrong with Washington? :banghead:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
good thing my broker uses a cordless phone so that i can still conduct business as he hurls himself 34 stories (seconds do count)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
So far things are that bad. Only about 1.5% down for the day and my three biggest investments are actually up, only a smidge but up.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
normally i wouldn't care that much, but i'm trying to pay off a car i just bought late last year by selling some stock. i think i'll sit on the payments for a few months instead.

oh look! a squirrel!

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
I think this is the correction that we needed. But I can't understand the Fed dropping rates again. Seems irresponsible to encourage consumers to spend more and go further in debt while further weakening the dollar globally. But, I'm no economist..I'm only a weak minded consumer who likes to pay his bills and make sure there is $$ in the bank to cover checks written.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
But I can't understand the Fed dropping rates again. Seems irresponsible to encourage consumers to spend more and go further in debt while further weakening the dollar globally.
not sure if i agree to the implied causality, but maybe something more subtle may be at hand? again, i'm projecting, so i see it as: rate goes down. stock price goes up (or is at least buoyed). i sell stock. i pay off debt.

my take on the typical american is (s)he does not equate accruing cc debt as equal to spending. seems to me if one is inclined to saddle up more debt, a little thing like a recession won't slow them down much. just take a peek in the lounge for some prime examples from our fiscally-impaired community.