Quantcast

Warren Sapp on Al Davis

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
hits the nail right on the head

I will volunteer my ambulance to drive Al to the Nursing Home:cheers:

How dysfunctional are the Oakland Raiders? So dysfunctional that Warren Sapp warns anybody who asks him about signing there to stay far away.

Al Davis knows football -- it's just '60s and '70s football. That's what it is. He's thinking that Cliff Branch is outside and [Jim] Plunkett is dropping back and you can throw it 80 yards down the field -- deep ball, deep ball, deep ball.
-- Warren Sapp

"Nobody tells you how bad it is," the former defensive tackle said on Showtime's "Inside the NFL." " ... any person that calls me on the telephone, [I tell them] do not go anywhere near Oakland."

Sapp, who retired after the 2007 season -- his fourth with the Raiders -- said that Lane Kiffin, fired this week by owner Al Davis, never got a fair chance in Oakland.

"He came in there with a change of mentality. The whole system," Sapp said on "Inside the NFL." "He changed how the locker room looked because it was going to take that kind of overhaul for Oakland to become the proud franchise we all knew it was."

Sapp said Oakland won't change for the better until Davis doesn't own the team anymore.

"[Davis] is the common equation," Sapp said on "Inside the NFL." "You take him out, put him at home watching film or whatever he is doing -- you have a functioning football organization. But once he comes over the top, he goes and starts moving it around.

"Al Davis knows football -- it's just '60s and '70s football. That's what it is. He's thinking that Cliff Branch is outside and [Jim] Plunkett is dropping back and you can throw it 80 yards down the field -- deep ball, deep ball, deep ball."

Sapp even said that Davis would call in plays when Sapp was playing for the Raiders.

"I remember the first two weeks I was there, we played a preseason game. Somebody came up one time and said, 'We're going deep right here, dog.' I said, how do you know? He said, 'The phone just rang.'

"All the preparation that goes into a week of work is there, the practicing that you have to put in order to do these things, sometimes [Al Davis] messed with that part of it and that's what kills you," Sapp said on "Inside the NFL."

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
At least someone who doesn't care what Al Davis thinks has said something.

Mike Shanahan is too political to speak his mind.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Could be worse. You could be a Rams fan. :hmm: Great choice for the Rams new head coach....promote the d-cooridinator when their defense is absolutely abysmal.
I think the Raiders have the worst back office, which means they will have the worst players and the worst coaching staff.

I looked up the GM for the Rams, Jay Zygmunt. An accountant and lawyer who was the salary cap expert? Not exactly a football man.

But you can fire that guy. Only God can fire Al Davis.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Haslett: The only head coach in the NFL to stifle Drew Brees' offensive production...Ever.

Great choice to put forth on a struggling offense....at least the Hawks won't be last this year. Har....
No way Haslett is the head coach next year. No way.

I'll just be happy if the Rams don't go winless this season. I'm still on board though! Times like these are when your team needs your support the most. Anyone can support a team when its winning.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i was in attendance at the final preseason game in Seattle. Oakland attempted a 65 yd field goal. i didn't get it until now.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Haslett: The only head coach in the NFL to stifle Drew Brees' offensive production...Ever.

Great choice to put forth on a struggling offense....at least the Hawks won't be last this year. Har....
I dont think Haslett ever coached drew Brees. Sean Payton came on in NO Brees' first year if I recall.

Haslett did, however, maintain a respectable team with Aaron Brooks as QB and a marginally talented defense. I think he's solid fundamentals coach, but not sure he's going be a perennial contender type.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I dont think Haslett ever coached drew Brees. Sean Payton came on in NO Brees' first year if I recall.

Haslett did, however, maintain a respectable team with Aaron Brooks as QB and a marginally talented defense. I think he's solid fundamentals coach, but not sure he's going be a perennial contender type.
Their defense right now is historically bad. I don't know how you take the guy in charge of that and make him the head coach. Their closest game this year was a 17 point loss. They aren't even competitive.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Their defense right now is historically bad. I don't know how you take the guy in charge of that and make him the head coach. Their closest game this year was a 17 point loss. They aren't even competitive.
Other than their overrated rookie DE (who wouldnt even have been taken in round 1 if it weren't for him's daddy's name), I cant even name a defensive player for the rams. Tells me all i need to know. Buddy Ryan couldn't win with a bunch of no-name losers.
Haslett is solid IMO.

Edit: Or at least his history suggests he's solid.

Last edited:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF

I don't think Haslett did a bad job. He was coaching the Saints thru Katrina.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Other than their overrated rookie DE (who wouldnt even have been taken in round 1 if it weren't for him's daddy's name), I cant even name a defensive player for the rams. Tells me all i need to know. Buddy Ryan couldn't win with a bunch of no-name losers.
Haslett is solid IMO.

Edit: Or at least his history suggests he's solid.
I dunno.

It's just hard to optimistic these days. Go Red Sox.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
The Rams were in the game through 3 quarters. It's a damn shame they didn't have the ________ to keep it close through 4.

They also appear to have an easy stretch near the end.
Wk 13 - Miami
Wk 14 - Arizona
Wk 15 - Seattle
Wk 16 - SF
Wk 17 - Atlanta

I see them winning 3 games this year.

Wil Witherspoon is the MLB. He's a beast.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
The Rams were in the game through 3 quarters. It's a damn shame they didn't have the ________ to keep it close through 4.

They also appear to have an easy stretch near the end.
Wk 13 - Miami
Wk 14 - Arizona
Wk 15 - Seattle
Wk 16 - SF
Wk 17 - Atlanta

I see them winning 3 games this year.

Wil Witherspoon is the MLB. He's a beast.
Unless the new head coach gets the team up and running, I don't see the Seattle game being that easy for them especially not after Week 3's performance....

Pisa Tinoisamoa or something...the only reason I remember that name is cause I relate it to Lofa Tatupu....