Quantcast

We love to help newbies :)

R

RideMonkey

I always love to see new people get into the sport. Mountain biking is tough! It can be a daunting task to get started. Feel free to post any questions you might have here.

I have a feeling we will see a lot of clipless pedal threads ;)

RM

R

RideMonkey

Originally posted by MtnBikerChick
I don't know if I'm a beginner or not....

what are the qualifications?
You're a beginner if any of the following apply to you:

1. You have never ridden a one-handed wheelie while drinking a beer with the other hand.

2. You have not broken AT LEAST 5 frames in the last 5 years.

3. You have never ridden 200 miles in a 24 hour period.

4. You do not have a dog with a mountain biking name (ie "chainring").

5. Your car is worth more than your bike.

Hope that helps.

RM

KrusteeButt

I can't believe its not butter!
Jul 3, 2001
why the hell do YOU care?!
Ok, well here's a starter...and no, it's NOT to do with clipless!

I noticed that a lot of people (Snickryder for example) don't have the dustboots on their forks. Is there any particular reason? I was under the impression that people want those...go to some review boards and I see a lot of people say a "weakness" of some forks is that they don't come with the boots.

On the other hand, my fork's manual says to lift the boot to clean and relube the stanchion after every ride, and it's a real pain in the booty (sorry, had to say it :rolleyes: ) to get that stupid thing back into place.

R

RideMonkey

Dustboots are ugly. They weigh a few grams more than no boots.

Whether you need them or not is a subject of a lot of debate. Heres my take:

If you have Marzocchis, you don't need them. The Zokes seals and wipers do a great job. With any other fork I would stick to the manufacturers suggestions ragarding the boots.

Originally posted by KrusteeButt
Ok, well here's a starter...and no, it's NOT to do with clipless!

I noticed that a lot of people (Snickryder for example) don't have the dustboots on their forks. Is there any particular reason? I was under the impression that people want those...go to some review boards and I see a lot of people say a "weakness" of some forks is that they don't come with the boots.

On the other hand, my fork's manual says to lift the boot to clean and relube the stanchion after every ride, and it's a real pain in the booty (sorry, had to say it :rolleyes: ) to get that stupid thing back into place.
Rule of thumb; If chor fork came wit 'em keep 'em, if it didn't, get some.

caes44

Chimp
Aug 21, 2001
canada
Hi guys, i need some opinions on buying a new mountain bike. Im in vancouver canada so we dont have as many differnet types of bikes as the states have. Anyways. I want to spend around 400 bucks or less canadian. I bought a raliehg full suspension bike for 400 bucks but it is really heavy and its got problems shifting so i returned it. I really need some help guys. I cant seem to find a good bike. My options are a norco full suspension bike which is pretty heavy . or some trek front suspension bikes or some raleigh or norco front suspension bikes. the norco front suspension bike is way lighter than the norco full suspenision. I just need the bike for casual riding i dont really go out on trails much.. what do u guys recommend?

thanks.............

teflon

Chimp
Jul 8, 2001
Brisbane,Australia
Originally posted by caes44
Hi guys, i need some opinions on buying a new mountain bike. Im in vancouver canada so we dont have as many differnet types of bikes as the states have. Anyways. I want to spend around 400 bucks or less canadian. I bought a raliehg full suspension bike for 400 bucks but it is really heavy and its got problems shifting so i returned it. I really need some help guys. I cant seem to find a good bike. My options are a norco full suspension bike which is pretty heavy . or some trek front suspension bikes or some raleigh or norco front suspension bikes. the norco front suspension bike is way lighter than the norco full suspenision. I just need the bike for casual riding i dont really go out on trails much.. what do u guys recommend?

thanks.............
Go for a good cromoly hardtail...Strong,Comfortable,Reliable,Cheap and Everlasting!:)

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Don't ever by a Raleigh in Canada. It is not the same company as Raleigh US or UK. They make ****, in Canada and it disturbs me because we Canadians can do better than that. Raleigh Canada is the Huffy/Murray up here. Devinci and Norco make much better products not to mention Kona and Rocky Mountain. But i think RM were bought by a Qubec company that makes the Raleigh brand. shudder. It wil be hard to get much durability in a $400 bike in Canada. Go to a good Bike Shop and get their advice and check back here if you don't trust 'em. There are some consignment shops too like FLIP or Sports Junkies. FLIP is the only one to sell just bike stuff though and the boys are quite knowledgable.

Way to go SK6!!!

I just got my Gary Fisher Joshua F4 this year and love it. My oldest son raced on a Joshua for 3 years and it held up great. I really like that I can lock out my rear shock on the climbs with a flip of the lever. I don't like that I then have to get of my bike 50% of the time to get the shock working again. Got to take it back in to the shop today and get another overhaul. Hoping they can help me out with this problem.

KrusteeButt

I can't believe its not butter!
Jul 3, 2001
why the hell do YOU care?!
Originally posted by caes44
thanks for the reply ............by the way..........whats a hardtail?
Well, you'll hear a few different terms here: hardtail, softail, and dually (these are the three most common).

A hardtail just means the frame has a rigid rear end...no shock.

A softail I just saw for the first time on Snickryder's bike, a Litespeed. It's not a shock like on a full suspension...on a full susp. bike the rear end is technically a separate piece that has a pivot point. On a softail, it's not a separate piece, it's still all one frame...but there's a small shock on the rear that gives just a little abosorption and the rear triangle just has a little flex to it. That's the best way to explain it I guess...I didn't really get it until I saw one though.

Dually is simply referring to a full suspension bike...front shock and rear shock, hence "dual" suspension.

Did that clear it up at all?