Quantcast

Wearin' Yellow Gets You DQ'd

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
HS runners DQ'd for ‘LiveStrong' wrist bands
"LiveStrong" doesn't add up to "run fast," at least for one high school official in Virginia.

More than two dozen high school track athletes were disqualified from an Oct. 6 event in Virginia Beach, Va., after an administrator ruled Lance Armstrong's popular "LiveStrong" wristbands amounted to jewelry, banned under district rules.

Some 26 athletes were wearing the yellow plastic bans and were subsequently disqualified from the track event, according to a report in the The Virginia Pilot newspaper.

"It's the stupidest rule I've ever heard," said Lanny Doan, one of the high school coaches. "We're talking about a rubber band. It's not going to harm anyone."

Some 12 million of the wrist bands have been sold nationwide to raise money for the Lance Armstrong Foundation. The wrist bands have become a cultural phenomenon, with big-time sports stars and even presidential candidates sporting the plastic bands.

The wrist bands, however, fell afoul with school officials in Virginia who have banned all except religious or medical jewelry from high school track events. The Virginia Pilot reported high officials notified coaches by e-mailed prior to Wednesday's with reminders that the rule would be enforced.

Several athletes won their heats but were later disqualified after wearing the wrist bands. One of the school's girl's squad lost out on the team competition because of the ruling.

"Basically, we lost because of a cancer-support bracelet," Ocean Lakes coach Mike Nestor told the newspaper. "This is a friendly sport. I'd rather be told kids had to take them off before they run than told ‘gotcha' afterward."

J

JRB

Somebody is gonna get their ass handed to them in court. You can wear a cross, but not a gummy bracelet. WTF???

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
stosh said:
My HS school made the paper today too.

And you thought only the south did Civil War re-enactments!!!

http://www.recordonline.com/
Check out the Kid's costume article.
Nice, I say

Kid gets expelled, then the parents turn around and sue the school for promoting the activity that got the kid expelled and win.

J

JRB

Stupid of the kid really. That is a federal law that weapons of any kind not be allowed on school campuses. Makes sense to me. The laziness that pisses me off about today's youth finally caught up to at least one of the little punks.

Who cares if the gun was a replica??? The bayonet likely was pointy huh???

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
N8 said:
Bummer for the kid... getting busted like that not to mention having to be on the losing side of the Battle of Chancellorsville every year too...
Hey, whats one battle.

J

JRB

N8 said:
Are you saying that the sharpest thing you are allowed to have is a rubber ball?

:p

I'm saying he had a weapon. Period. He broke the rules. It's not like God is against him. Well, maybe, he is pretty dumb, but he simply broke the rules. Oh, I was just doing a reenactment of Columbine. I didn't mean to hurt anyone. People need to be responsible for their actions.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
"The fact that you've got "replica" written down the side of your guns. And, the fact that I've got "Desert Eagle .50" written on the side of mine, should precipitate your balls into shrinking, along with your presence. Now ... f*ck off."

Fact is, he had a Replica and not a weapon.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Oh I guess it doesn't anymore.... wonder if the gun kid will get the same consideration.

School district backpedals on LiveStrong wristbands
By The Associated Press
This report filed October 13, 2004
Stung by criticism of its action, a high school district has reversed a decision to disqualify cross country runners for wearing Lance Armstrong LiveStrong wristbands.

The decision was reversed because "adequate prior notice had not been given to the participants," Bruce Biehl, Kellam High School's principal and chairman of Beach District cross country, said in a statement released Tuesday.

More than 20 runners were declared ineligible in a meet last Wednesday for wearing the popular LiveStrong bands, sold for $1 apiece. Proceeds go to the Lance Armstrong Foundation, which provides practical information to cancer survivors.

Runners will be allowed to continue wearing the wristbands for the rest of the district cross country season, he said. Biehl added that clarification will be sought on wearing the bands during regional and state competitions.

A flood of e-mails protesting the decision followed a story Saturday in The Virginian-Pilot of Norfolk detailing the Beach District's action.

The decision to disqualify the runners, Biehl said, was in keeping with a recently drafted National Federation of State High School Associations ruling classifying the band as jewelry. But Biehl acknowledged that runners and coaches weren't given much notice. The Virginia High School League circulated the new policy to schools on Oct. 4, two days before the meet.

Many of the runners in last Wednesday's meet said they were unaware that the bands were classified as jewelry and would have taken them off had they known they risked disqualification.

"Our kids certainly weren't wearing them to be defiant," said Mike Nestor, coach at Ocean Lakes High. "We're kind of in awe of everything that's happened."

But Nestor said the controversy has served as a learning tool for his athletes.

"Sometimes you wear that band but forget what it's really for," Nestor said. "I've received e-mails from all over the country from cancer survivors voicing their support. Through their stories, we've learned what an inspiration that band really is."

J

JRB

DRB said:
Oh I guess it doesn't anymore.... wonder if the gun kid will get the same consideration.
I would hope not. He had weapons in his car. :nope:

Zeke

Chimp
May 18, 2003
Big D fo shizzle!
I would hope not. He had weapons in his car.
The "weapon" was a replica that didn't fire bullets. I guess if he used it as a club it could be a weapon so I guess they should go ahead and arrest all the students with tire irons in their cars too.

J

JRB

Zeke said:
The "weapon" was a replica that didn't fire bullets. I guess if he used it as a club it could be a weapon so I guess they should go ahead and arrest all the students with tire irons in their cars too.

Uhm - bayonet = weapon. Cloud it if you will, but you are wrong.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Knuckleslammer said:
It's just a reminder of the number one problem in this country. TOO MANY PEOPLE INVOLVED IN OTHER PEOPLES BUSINESS.

knuckle
Absofreakinglutely! If people would shut their traps long enough to get their noses out of OTHER peoples business this would be a much better world, country, state, etc. Dang I hate people! (But I love gatherings. Isn't it ironic?) Knuckle, your statement makes so much sense I am gonna use it as my sig for a while.

Chibo

Chimp
Jul 2, 2004
Scottsdale, Arizona
loco-gringo said:
Stupid of the kid really. That is a federal law that weapons of any kind not be allowed on school campuses. Makes sense to me. The laziness that pisses me off about today's youth finally caught up to at least one of the little punks.

Who cares if the gun was a replica??? The bayonet likely was pointy huh???
Today's youth? I'm sorry that you never did anything stupid when you were a kid, let alone be lazy. :rolleyes:

J

JRB

Chibo said:
Today's youth? I'm sorry that you never did anything stupid when you were a kid, let alone be lazy. :rolleyes:

Did I offend another 12 year old??? Kids here are phucking rude and it sucks. They should all have their clueless, mannerless asses kicked.

Chibo

Chimp
Jul 2, 2004
Scottsdale, Arizona
loco-gringo said:
Did I offend another 12 year old??? Kids here are phucking rude and it sucks. They should all have their clueless, mannerless asses kicked.
Add six years to your figure there, thank you. I love how parents forget what they were like when they were teenagers.

J

JRB

Chibo said:
Add six years to your figure there, thank you. I love how parents forget what they were like when they were teenagers.

Nope - didn't forget. I don't have kids. I am 33 and I had manners. Yeah I did stupid schit, but never was rude. I knew I was a kid. A lot of kids think they are the phucking president. I say, "you ain't in no motorcade bitch!" Get over it. Don't take it to heart if I'm not talking about you. The point was, the kid broke the law. He was stupid. :mumble:

Jesus

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
Louisville, KY
"In Pine Bush, the high school had recruited students to become involved in the Civil War re-enactors club."

If they were recruiting at the High School and they obviously knew they were, it's a school activity.