Quantcast

.:|Wednesday GMT|:.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
Morning.

The little guy didn't sleep that well last night so the wifey and I are fairly tired this morning. Ugh... I need moar coffee.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and happy b-day Pesqueebster!

Last edited:

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Rode local track with das kid last night....he stopped after an hour of laps, pretty much the full time...I should have as well, too. Le pooped.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
You goin? Thought it was just Sammich at this point. It is still a possibility. Trying to determine if I can get a sunny Saturday off from fam & get back for 4pm party, or go for the rainy all day Sunday deal.

I also have to work on the dh bike, ehhh.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
for car camping? I got one of these a few years back an they're bombproof...
i was considering that, but for how much they cost i can get something the same price i can use for backpacking & kayak camping too.

I'm considering something like this:

http://www.rei.com/product/830343/msr-windpro-ii-backpacking-stove

because it runs on propape and i can refill my 16oz cans. but for backpacking i'm not too crazy about the notion of having to carry propane tanks or other canisters.

i've also considering the biolite stove, but that thing is kinda big, and as cool as the charger functionality is, it's something that wouldn't get frequently used methinks. althought i know one guy that has one and swears he'll never use anything else again.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
You goin? Thought it was just Sammich at this point. It is still a possibility. Trying to determine if I can get a sunny Saturday off from fam & get back for 4pm party, or go for the rainy all day Sunday deal.

I also have to work on the dh bike, ehhh.
right now its me and andy. anyone else is welcome to join, although i know most people are going to creek for the GRT.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
OK, I will let youse guyse know! I would prefer Saturday 10-2. Luckily, I rode the DH bike so little last season that I think that it therefore needs little work!

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I have a WhisperLite that's probably 20 years old. It will burn pretty much any flammable liquid with the correct nozzle and weighs only slightly more than that one. It's taken a serious beating and still works very well. The new ones are built almost exactly the same. I highly recommend one if you don't want to go the canister route.

i like the universality of this one:

http://www.rei.com/product/830342/msr-whisperlite-universal-backpacking-stove

but still requires carrying a fuel source.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i like the universality of this one:

http://www.rei.com/product/830342/msr-whisperlite-universal-backpacking-stove

but still requires carrying a fuel source.
edit: at this point i'm between something like the universal whisperlite and the biolite one... i like the biolite one for the fact that i won't have to carry fuel, and you can apparently get that thing to work in pretty much any conditions... super cold (my buddy that swears by it got it to work at like 20 below) and even works with wet wood/sticks (although it apparently produces a good amount of smoke)

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Can't go wrong with the whisperlite. The last few seasons I've been using the Primus ETA for dinner meals and a Jetboil for coffee/breakfasts. (Car camping) On backpacks I pack the ETA and a coffee mug. I like them but hate canister fuel.

I've been checking out the biolite and it looks pretty badass! I don't know how much I'd use the charger but it is there if I did need it I suppose. (maybe it could charge my mtb night light?)

I've also been looking at the Kelly Kettles.

Cheers

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Can't go wrong with the whisperlite. The last few seasons I've been using the Primus ETA for dinner meals and a Jetboil for coffee/breakfasts. (Car camping) On backpacks I pack the ETA and a coffee mug. I like them but hate canister fuel.

I've been checking out the biolite and it looks pretty badass! I don't know how much I'd use the charger but it is there if I did need it I suppose. (maybe it could charge my mtb night light?)

I've also been looking at the Kelly Kettles.

Cheers

I don't think i could really go wrong with either... although I may not like the total size of the biolite, i do realize that by the time i include a fuel canister of whatever kind with the whisperlite, size would be about the same. at which point i'd still prefer the biolite because i wouldn't really have the concern about running out of fuel.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Howdy all. Sleepy this morning, odd dreams of failure and frustration.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I have a WhisperLite that's probably 20 years old. It will burn pretty much any flammable liquid with the correct nozzle and weighs only slightly more than that one. It's taken a serious beating and still works very well. The new ones are built almost exactly the same. I highly recommend one if you don't want to go the canister route.
I have a Whisperlite as well... and it's over 20 years old. It's not the multi-fuel version, but it's bombproof apparently.

If I were buying a stove now, though - I'd probably go for the Dragonfly from MSR - it has a way better "simmer" control. Simmering with the Whisperlite involves a lot of practice combined with some Voodoo.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I have a Whisperlite as well... and it's over 20 years old. It's not the multi-fuel version, but it's bombproof apparently.

If I were buying a stove now, though - I'd probably go for the Dragonfly from MSR - it has a way better "simmer" control. Simmering with the Whisperlite involves a lot of practice combined with some Voodoo.
I have a dragonfly, and used to have the Whisperlite (I passed it on to my brother so I could "upgrade"). The thing to keep in mind about the dragonfly is its LOUD. Like jet-engine-taking-off-loud. I kinda miss the Whisperlite for that. Also, somehow, the Whisperlite doesn't seem to get as gunked up as the dragonfly and the jets are easier to clean.

I still vote for a two-burner table top stove for car camping expeditions... how else are you going to brew your coffee and cook your bacon at the same time?!?!?!

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
Actually looking at a stove too for climbing trips. Convenience. I have the Whisperlite intl for more than 10yrs now, awesome burner. Not much control as Simmerlites but it burns any flammable liquid. Pump it...