Quantcast

Wednesday Schmendsday

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Hello! Me and my hairy nose survived another commute yesterday. Got a bit spooky on the road but I love the bike path. Takes about the same amount of time as the car depending on departure time, so that’s cool.

We’re headed to San Fran in a couple of days. Any suggestions? Doing MB aquarium, Alcatraz, the redwoods, and Santa Cruz BBw.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Surprised yesterday's GMT didn't have any eclipse photos in it.

We took part in the Great New England Migration. 2.5 hours to get there, 9 hours to get home. But still awesome to witness.
My potato camera wouldn't do it justice, so I just looked with my own cameras built into the dome piece. :busted:

But you got some very nice shots! :thumb:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Hello! Me and my hairy nose survived another commute yesterday. Got a bit spooky on the road but I love the bike path. Takes about the same amount of time as the car depending on departure time, so that’s cool.

We’re headed to San Fran in a couple of days. Any suggestions? Doing MB aquarium, Alcatraz, the redwoods, and Santa Cruz BBw.
Fisherman's wharf/sea lions, Ghirardelli's.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Nice shots, BV

/me sacrificed some sleep for more money by signing moonlighting cases at 12:10 last night and 5:57 and 6:01 this morning

but as it reduces my workload today on this understaffed day I figured why not, as this way I get paid for my heroics at least

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord

japanese gardens in golden gate park by the de young.

'mornin all. drippy one here today and tomorrow.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Good morning and all that bullshit lmao. I slept in, then ran 4 miles on the rail trail. Looks like the Boston Marathon Monday will be a touch warmer than I like it, but that should be offset by a steady 15 mph tailwind. The course is point to point, west to east. Once in a while the race gets lucky and gets a westerly tailwind.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
biked into the office for the first time since the elbow surgery. feels good. it's such a nice bike ride too, it's really too bad we'll be moving offices over the summer.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
My work here is done. Now no one breathe on the excel file.
Code:
=IFERROR(IF(U3="Yes", G3 * 0.5, G3) * IF(U3="Yes", IF(H3="Low", 0.5, IF(H3="Moderate", 1, 1.5)), IF(H3="Low", 1, IF(H3="Moderate", 2, 3))) * IF(I3="Yes", 0.5, 1) * IF(J3="Yes", 0.5, 1) * IF(Q3=0, "", Q3), "")

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Good morning and all that bullshit lmao. I slept in, then ran 4 miles on the rail trail. Looks like the Boston Marathon Monday will be a touch warmer than I like it, but that should be offset by a steady 15 mph tailwind. The course is point to point, west to east. Once in a while the race gets lucky and gets a westerly tailwind.
good luck babs

pigboy

in a galaxy far, far away

if you mean Big Basin, then you're on the right track so far as Santa Cruz County is concerned. I strongly recommend the croissants at the Whale Bakery Cafe in Davenport. And the beach there is very nice. Don't fall off the cliffs into the ocean as there is a very low survival rate for that screwup.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Why they moving? Off the river?
the reason they gave us is that this building is leased, and they are trying to consolidate us into fewer buildings since we are in the office fewer days... That part makes sense, but what's infuriating is that instead of consolidating us into buildings serviced by rapid transit (Ottawa just spent what... $2 billion on a new light rail system?!), they are pushing us out to areas with no transit service... fucking drives me nuts. idiots.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
the reason they gave us is that this building is leased, and they are trying to consolidate us into fewer buildings since we are in the office fewer days... That part makes sense, but what's infuriating is that instead of consolidating us into buildings serviced by rapid transit (Ottawa just spent what... $2 billion on a new light rail system?!), they are pushing us out to areas with no transit service... fucking drives me nuts. idiots.
I'm guessing the bigwig govmint peoples signing off on this don't even work there. Do they even live in the city?

That sucks.

Are you being moved to some industrial park type boring place? I'm guessing no bike paths or trails to get out there..

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I'm guessing the bigwig govmint peoples signing off on this don't even work there. Do they even live in the city?

That sucks.

Are you being moved to some industrial park type boring place? I'm guessing no bike paths or trails to get out there..
well... it's partly down to the decentralized nature of government administration. these sorts of decisions are made not by the Department (in my case Environment and Climate Change), but by Public Services and Procurement (responsible for public works and real property). The thing is they have different priorities than us. Also, "Scope 3" emissions aren't captured by the recently announced Greening Government Strategy, and PSPC doesn't even care about trying to aline themselves with its objectives. They'll do the bare minimum (follow the rules), but not a step more. It's really frustrating when even your colleagues won't make an effort to get on board with what we're trying to do. But I guess that's the nature of any big organization... What we wind up with is energy efficient buildings that staff need to drive to get to...

I'll be moving from X to Y:
1712758507108.png

it's not really super far out of the way, but there is no rapid transit going there (nor is there parking. I kid you not). There is only a milk-run bus route. In the summer, it'll take me 17 minutes or so by bike (yellow line), compared to the 12 minutes now (orange line). Currently my bike route is pretty stellar, it's all bike path, along the river, with amazing views of Parliament. It's pretty amazing by any standard. The new location will be a hassle in winter as there are no paths, and no cleared bike routes (that I know of). I'll have to go through residential streets (blue route), but it should be doable, hopefully in less than 30 minutes.

By bus, it would take me 45 minutes to get there. And I live downtown. Google says walking would take 1h10. People who come from farther afield are looking at almost 1h15 minutes by bus. Each way. The kicker is that Ontario residents can't even use their bus passes to get home because the Ottawa and Gatineau transit authorities don't accept each other's passes. it's ludicrous.

I actually used to work at that building back in 2005. I eventually quit two years later because the commute was too much of a pain in the ass. I was assaulted twice (red *s) by road ragers. Tbh, that's what's giving the most anxiety about this move... I'm worried I'll be gambling with my life again just to get to work. I'm an old man now, with kids, about 10 years from retirement. I don't need that stress. I'm really hoping cycle infrastructure has improved in the ensuing years..

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
A friend of mine wants a few apple bins for a raised bed garden. I told him that if I go get them and drop them at his house, he owes me free coffee for a month. If he goes with me and helps load them, I'll help him for free.

Looks like he wants to go with me. He's smarter than he looks.