Quantcast

***Wednesderp GMT***

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Howdy all. Working 9 AM-10 PM instead of 5 PM-10 PM as planned, because someone called in sick and I'm the backup coverage. At least I'm not on service with the elderly person who should retired, so it should be all good!

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
but there are literally mushrooms floating in the air. I was nearly run off the road this morning by an Italian plumber with a red shirt, trying to eat them and grow taller.
Ummm, did you already consume a few??

My old local trail would be infested with these little bastards this time of year. I'd run through so many webs I had to pedal to go downhill. Industrious little fellows would generally have another web back up by the time I looped back on the same trail. Quickly learned that those little spikes hurt if I tried to brush them off and was better off leaving them to their own business if I got one on me.

:wtf::wtf::wtf:

I don't know what that is. But if it ever touched me in any way. I would run through the woods screaming like a bitch until my heart exploded.
This.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Love this recurring theme:
1- Department X requests that my department create a summary schedule for a portfolio, but requests it directly from my direct-reports instead of me, the man(down)ager. Man(down)ager tells Department X that all future requests should be made through me.
2- Future request comes to me, which I pass to direct-report. Direct-report responds to request directly to Department X, without my approval nor awareness (of course, direct-report doesn't use dedicated summary schedule template, either). I scold direct-report, and instruct direct-report to get my approval in the future.
3- Man(down)ager discovers 1 & 2 are still happening.
4- Disdain for everyone.

Is it that hard to figure out how a chain of command works? Probably. Which would explain why my hard work got me promoted to the middle.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Love this recurring theme:
1- Department X requests that my department create a summary schedule for a portfolio, but requests it directly from my direct-reports instead of me, the man(down)ager. Man(down)ager tells Department X that all future requests should be made through me.
2- Future request comes to me, which I pass to direct-report. Direct-report responds to request directly to Department X, without my approval nor awareness (of course, direct-report doesn't use dedicated summary schedule template, either). I scold direct-report, and instruct direct-report to get my approval in the future.
3- Man(down)ager discovers 1 & 2 are still happening.
4- Disdain for everyone.

Is it that hard to figure out how a chain of command works? Probably. Which would explain why my hard work got me promoted to the middle.
schedule a meeting with them. explain to them how your colostomy bag works.

skibunny24

Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
But mine is the bestest.
It’s really a toss up between you and my kiddo, but since he isn’t an official monkey, it must be you

They are tiny and harmless. There have been a few instances where they would catch a ride in my helmet and would find a little web woven in a vent.
Still nope. I have valid reasons. I’ve had big spiders crawl all over my body in bed, me repeating “it’s all in your head” then up my arm to my hand in front of my face “see? Open your eyes and there will be nothing there” but it was a giant forking spider on my hand and a ring of bites on my thigh.... I’ve taken off my shirt to find one on my ribs (again big, and this time my son as a witness—laughing histarically) and then there was the time I was working for an organic produce warehouse and put my hand in a tarantula that had survived the trip from Ecuador in the boxes of bananas (they have to be kept warm), and finally, most recently after working in the wood pile, I went to wash my hands after using the ladies room, look up in a mirror and see one crawl out from my F#<KING HAIR onto my face. I don’t do spiders. I appreciate all the bugs they eat and don’t kill the ones in my house. Unless they are found on my person, in which case, Hulk smash.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
It’s really a toss up between you and my kiddo, but since he isn’t an official monkey, it must be you

Still nope. I have valid reasons. I’ve had big spiders crawl all over my body in bed, me repeating “it’s all in your head” then up my arm to my hand in front of my face “see? Open your eyes and there will be nothing there” but it was a giant forking spider on my hand and a ring of bites on my thigh.... I’ve taken off my shirt to find one on my ribs (again big, and this time my son as a witness—laughing histarically) and then there was the time I was working for an organic produce warehouse and put my hand in a tarantula that had survived the trip from Ecuador in the boxes of bananas (they have to be kept warm), and finally, most recently after working in the wood pile, I went to wash my hands after using the ladies room, look up in a mirror and see one crawl out from my F#<KING HAIR onto my face. I don’t do spiders. I appreciate all the bugs they eat and don’t kill the ones in my house. Unless they are found on my person, in which case, Hulk smash.
'

Well spiders seem to really like you.

I used to be a little freaked out by them but got over it after waking up with a tent full of them. Damn things were all over me, inside the sleeping bag. I was too hungover to give a shit and went back to sleep. Perfect immersion therapy.

skibunny24

Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
'

Well spiders seem to really like you.

I used to be a little freaked out by them but got over it after waking up with a tent full of them. Damn things were all over me, inside the sleeping bag. I was too hungover to give a shit and went back to sleep. Perfect immersion therapy.
I salute your resolve! May I have such a hangover some day and get over it... it’s not even a voluntary fear anymore—it’s all instant fight or flight. Really gets in the way when carrying wood up the stairs....

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
It's 6 degrees and pissing rain. Got to the trail head about an hour early. This is going to be a fun ride. Good thing I have stouts to keep me warm on the inside.

As for all this spider talk....

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I rode 20 easy miles on the tri bike after work. What it is with cars honking at me when all I am doing is pedaling on the shoulder on back roads minding my own damn business? Fucking fucks.

skibunny24

Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
I keep getting calls for jobs in NY or LA, or today, a call from TX for a job north of me. I respectfully declined, as I wouldn't be able to make it to and from work/daycare without being late to both every day (with a $3/minute late fee at daycare). The person wrote back, "you live in Renton, the job is in Redmond, that's a 38 minute drive." (Which still doesn't work with an 8-5 position, as daycare hours are 7:30-5:30)

but nonetheless I replied with a "oh, you must not be from around here... the Seattle area has some of the worst traffic in the country. It takes 30 minutes to get to the free way from my house during commuting hours. That drive would take over an hour, minimum." Seattle traffic is the main obstacle to me finding a job right now.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
smokey as hell here in Livermore, riding the indoor trainer as outside it is like the LA smog of the 1960s with less than a mile of visibility from all the fire smoke. winds are kicking up and if you look at the attached map most of the bay area is now under a Red Flag Warning with RH values in the single digits

[/img]

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
making first brussels sprouts of the season. sauteed lightly in seasoned garlic butter in a covered pan for 20 mins. :drool: stoked.
my dad tried to pay me to eat brussel sprouts as a kid..... .50 cents a brussel sprout...

not today satan...not today.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Building a synth sound from a preset and got a bunch of noise that I wanted to get rid of. Oh, there's a knob called "noise" which seems to control that. Very sneaky.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
We be fucked

Red Flag Warning
URGENT - FIRE WEATHER MESSAGE...UPDATED
National Weather Service San Francisco CA
406 PM PDT Wed Oct 11 2017

...RED FLAG WARNING THROUGH THURSDAY AFTERNOON FOR ELEVATIONS
ABOVE 1000 FEET IN THE SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA AS WELL AS
ELEVATIONS ABOVE 1000 FEET ACROSS MONTEREY COUNTY AND SAN BENITO
COUNTY...

.Increasing northerly winds and drying conditions are forecast to
return to the region Wednesday evening and persist through
Thursday afternoon in wake of a weak, dry frontal passage.
Strongest winds will occur between late Wednesday evening and mid
morning on Thursday. Low humidity and gusty northerly winds will
combine with dry fuels to produce critical fire weather
conditions, especially in higher elevations of the North Bay
Mountains, East Bay Hills, Santa Cruz Mountains, the Santa Lucia
Mountains, and the mountains of San Benito County and Interior
Monterey County.

CAZ511-512-517-518-120715-
/O.CON.KMTR.FW.W.0007.171012T0600Z-171013T0000Z/
East Bay Hills and the Diablo Range-Santa Cruz Mountains-
Santa Lucia Mountains and Los Padres National Forest-
Mountains Of San Benito County And Interior Monterey County
Including Pinnacles National Park-
406 PM PDT Wed Oct 11 2017

...RED FLAG WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 11 PM THIS EVENING TO
5 PM PDT THURSDAY FOR OFFSHORE WINDS AND LOW HUMIDITY FOR FIRE
WEATHER ZONES 517 AND 518...

* AFFECTED AREA...Fire weather zoneS 517 AND 518.

* WIND...North to northeast winds of 15 to 25 mph with gusts to
45 mph, especially at elevations above 1500 ft.

* HUMIDITY...Minimum daytime values between 10-20 percent with
night time recovery values between 25-35 percent, especially
in elevations above 1500 ft.

* HIGHEST THREAT...The Santa Lucia Range above the Big Sur
Coast as well as higher ridges and peaks elsewhere across
Monterey and San Benito Counties.

* IMPACTS...Any fires that develop will likely spread rapidly.
Outdoor burning is not recommended.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Red Flag Warning means that critical fire weather conditions
are either occurring now...or will shortly. A combination of
strong winds...low relative humidity...and warm temperatures can
contribute to extreme fire behavior.

&&

$$

Wind Advisory
URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service San Francisco Bay Area
137 PM PDT Wed Oct 11 2017

...Gusty northerly winds to return later today into Thursday...

Winds will switch back from the north later today and increase
overnight into Thursday morning. Although winds will not be as
strong as the wind event this past Sunday night into Monday
morning, wind gust could be strong enough to topple trees and
powerlines. A red flag warning is also in effect for high fire
danger. Winds will diminish late in the day Thursday.

CAZ511-120400-
/O.CON.KMTR.WI.Y.0019.171012T0600Z-171013T0000Z/
East Bay Hills and the Diablo Range-
Including the city of Blackhawk
137 PM PDT Wed Oct 11 2017

...WIND ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 11 PM THIS EVENING TO
5 PM PDT THURSDAY...

A Wind Advisory remains in effect from 11 PM this evening to 5 PM
PDT Thursday.

Valley locations.

* Winds: Northerly winds increasing to 20 to 30 mph with local
gusts over 50 mph by midnight.

* Timing: Late this evening through Thursday afternoon.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Wind Advisory means that winds of 35 mph are expected. Winds
this strong can topple trees and powerlines.

&&

$$

U.S. Dept. of Commerce
NOAA National Weather Service
1325 East West Highway
Silver Spring, MD 20910