Quantcast

***Wednesderp GMT***

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Big fight with the wife last night. Apparently I left some carrots out on the counter after tucking both children in while she was out having drinks with friends.

Think I might bike commute to work on Friday. Debating buying bike parts off amazon v jenson so that I might get them by the weekend and be ready to ride if I get the opportunity.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Went for a proper demo ride on a new-fangled long travel 29” wheeled mountain bicycle last night. The last time I felt this instantly comfortable on a bike on the first ride with minimal dicking around was when I demo’ed the bike I just sold. Add to that I knocked a solid chunk of seconds off my fastest dorklogged time down Apex at an 85% perceived level of effort... hoo dang. I might have to not buy one on account of I might kill myself. Fast bike is fast.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Had an argument with my wife last night at bedtime. slept like shit. it's her birthday tomorrow and I'm supposed to take the day off the be with her. Now I'm not really keen on it. it's supposed to be a nice day. the mountain bike riding sure would be nice...

busy as shit at work too, and I'm cross-eyed from fatigue. thanks O'Bama.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Went for a proper demo ride on a new-fangled long travel 29” wheeled mountain bicycle last night. The last time I felt this instantly comfortable on a bike on the first ride with minimal dicking around was when I demo’ed the bike I just sold. Add to that I knocked a solid chunk of seconds off my fastest dorklogged time down Apex at an 85% perceived level of effort... hoo dang. I might have to not buy one on account of I might kill myself. Fast bike is fast.
What didja try?

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Mornin!

Spent last night at the bike shop. Ever since she rode my Yeti in Moab (first time riding a real bike that fit her), the wife has it in her mind that she wants to become a mountain biker. So we are bike shopping; of course she is comparing everything she rides to the Yeti and so far nothing has stacked up. I see expensive bike #2 in our future.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Mornin!

Spent last night at the bike shop. Ever since she rode my Yeti in Moab (first time riding a real bike that fit her), the wife has it in her mind that she wants to become a mountain biker. So we are bike shopping; of course she is comparing everything she rides to the Yeti and so far nothing has stacked up. I see expensive bike #2 in our future.
If you think she'd like an older Yeti, and a small ... @Full Trucker 's gf may have her bike for sale since she too is in demo new shiny things mode.
Might save you a few $$ if it fits her and while she gets to know what she really likes/doesn't.

RoboDonkey713

Monkey
Feb 24, 2011
Maine
Didn't get mush sleep last night and am mega tired today. Not a fan of having a bunch of things to get done and being half asleep.

This new breed of wagon wheels feel like you are not going that fast, but when you check your numbers you become surprised at your speed. I am digging them.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
You know traffic is bad when Maps tells you to get off the highway go back an exit and take city streets.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
This new breed of wagon wheels feel like you are not going that fast, but when you check your numbers you become surprised at your speed. I am digging them.
This. Rode the 29er Evil and it was my 2 fastest runs down one of our local trails. Didn't feel fast, slow even. Turned out to be consistently almost 10% faster. Wasn't as poppy or as fun though. Wasn't worth it to me because I'm not racing. Numbers don't matter.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
If you think she'd like an older Yeti, and a small ... @Full Trucker 's gf may have her bike for sale since she too is in demo new shiny things mode.
Might save you a few $$ if it fits her and while she gets to know what she really likes/doesn't.
Hrrrm, small is her size. That might work, thanks for the heads up!

@Full Trucker ...details plz.

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Fucking vendor dinners. :Alcoholic:

Big fight with the wife last night. Apparently I left some carrots out on the counter after tucking both children in while she was out having drinks with friends.
Def something about leaving a non-spotless kitchen on their night out that gets some ladies into a froth. Usually I've left the kitchen a *complete* disaster-zone when my wife gets worked up like this, though.

The smart move here, son, is to NOT get a bike like this. :fie:

Had an argument with my wife last night at bedtime. slept like shit. it's her birthday tomorrow and I'm supposed to take the day off the be with her. Now I'm not really keen on it. it's supposed to be a nice day. the mountain bike riding sure would be nice...
:popcorn:

You know traffic is bad when Maps tells you to get off the highway go back an exit and take city streets.
This is why we can't have nice things.

Also - work from home FTMFW.

This. Rode the 29er Evil and it was my 2 fastest runs down one of our local trails. Didn't feel fast, slow even. Turned out to be consistently almost 10% faster. Wasn't as poppy or as fun though. Wasn't worth it to me because I'm not racing. Numbers don't matter.
This times eleventy-billion. Fuck the numbers. Trust the braaaaaaaaaaap. :thumb:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

Trying to get management to understand how stuff works is making me crazy. I am automating the manual testing of a decision engine. I am building a framework that lets you feed it data and process results. I an not writing scripts to replace test cases, my framework will support infinate test cases. If you can dream up the data, it will hand you a result. It's not rocket science, yet the concept is too abstract to grasp apparently.

/killlist

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Morning Monkeys.

Trying to get management to understand how stuff works is making me crazy. I am automating the manual testing of a decision engine. I am building a framework that lets you feed it data and process results. I an not writing scripts to replace test cases, my framework will support infinate test cases. If you can dream up the data, it will hand you a result. It's not rocket science, yet the concept is too abstract to grasp apparently.

/killlist
where are you on the @SkaredShtles scale of google chrome?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Mornin!

My recommendation, if you want this to work, get her what she wants that you can afford. Make sure it fits with good suspension, tyres and a dropper.

*Forgot to mention decent shoes and flats, knee and elbow pads and remind her she will fall as she's learning.

It's expensive having to buy two of most things then when it comes to bike stuff, but I never have to argue about going riding or force the issue about a riding vacation when it's also my wife wanting to those things too.

Morning Monkeys.

/killlist
But why aren't the test cases ready, those are clearly more important because management can read and not understand those?

Last edited:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Mornin!

Get one on craigslist and save the ad. That will save you some time for when you go to sell it in 6 months.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
B cruise up to the Indian Peaks last night after a nice sesh on the deck.
BBQ tonight after some fishing.
is it friday yet?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
In a bold mood, I moved my desk from a rather busy and cramped corridor cubicle in between my two peers to a nice window cubicle in a (still) quiet section of the office. Then my outlook decided to FTS. IT guy told me to restart PC and install Windows updates which has been happening for the past hour+ and isn't finished, yet. The view from Hancock tower is nice.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Ya know, you really should start including what bikes you're demoing. :think:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Morning Monkeys.

/killlist

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
What didja try?
Five-five.

I agree with you, for sure. However, on the last lap yesterday I KNEW I was hauling the mail and going way faster... it was just taking 80-85% the effort to do it. Unreal.

I agree that faster isn't the only criteria when choosing a bike. This bike was also straight up FUN to ride. It fit me well, climbing was at least as tolerable as my last bike if not more so. The front wheel comes up easy when I want it to, stays put and drives into corners solidly when I want that as well. Plenty "playful" and had some snap to it, could pop it over roots/rocks pretty easily, and didn't feel as much like a straight-line sled as the 6. NTTAWW being a straight-line sled, I could also move that bike around pretty well... this one was just less effort. So yeah, fast AND fun to ride. Surprisingly so.

Hrrrm, small is her size. That might work, thanks for the heads up!

@Full Trucker ...details plz.
Older (1st gen '06-'07ish) Yeti 575 that's been well taken care of and has nice-in-their-day parts spec. No dropper, 3x9, small wheels. But also, XT level shifting and braking, nice Mavic wheelset, Easton carbon bar, higher-end (yet dated to the bike) Fox suspension. I would not recommend this bike for your wife, not because it's not a nice bike or would be a good one for a beginner... it is. But she's already had a taste of how a bike with modern geometry fits and rides, and the 575 might be a disappointment for her. You're welcome to have her check it out, for sure. But I agree with what @6thElement says on this one.

The smart move here, son, is to NOT get a bike like this. :fie:
No one but no one has ever accused me of being smart.

This times eleventy-billion. Fuck the numbers. Trust the braaaaaaaaaaap. :thumb:
In braap we trust. You know that one little just-off-trail sender thingy on the gut, not too far down from the bottom of Enchanted? It's just off to the left and hips into a breezy right-hander? Yeah well... hit that thing WFO going mach chicken and sent it into the corner with a nice little turn bar and don't ya know a fairly loud and completely unplanned/unexpected 'BRAAAAAAP' escaped my lips. So yeah... bike passes the braap test.

My recommendation, if you want this to work, get her what she wants that you can afford. Make sure it fits with good suspension, tyres and a dropper.

*Forgot to mention decent shoes and flats, knee and elbow pads and remind her she will fall as she's learning.
All this, and have her take a clinic. My gal took a Vida clinic a couple weekends ago and got a lot out of it. Huge.

Ya know, you really should start including what bikes you're demoing. :think:
Why would I do that? All ya'll know what I'm demo'ing, right? That said, I *might* go ride a GG, though it is highly unlikely that I will actually buy one.

Last edited:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Spent the evening bleeding brakes and getting our air bnb place cleaned up.

In the last 3 weeks I’ve managed to learn about (and try out):

Building a fence.
Maintaining my pedals, fork and dropper.

None have exploded yet.

Alas, it seems as though some dirty theives decided to rob our work site of a bunch of spools of cable, and even cut some installed out.

Our automated security system had a blind spot, apparently. I expect this will delay our commissioning.

Crap.

At least we have another superintendent starting today. 4th on the project of less than 2 years

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Have you tried the 5? I liked it better than the 5.5

How tall are you and what size did you ride?
Rode a 5 LR this past weekend in size Large, and I liked it but didn't like it as much as the 5.5, which I rode in an XL. Will be riding an XL 5 LR probably next week, on a trail that I know well, to get a better comparison between the two. When I rode the 5 over the weekend, it was on ~18 miles of trail I had never seen before, so that might affect my perception. There is a thing on the 5 that I didn't like regardless of what trail I was on... the handlebars were too high, even with no spacers under the stem. I think reducing travel from 160mm to 150mm on the 36 would (help) resolve this.

I'm 6'1" and change, probably close enough to call it 6'2". Weighing in close to 2 bills, butt-ass naked. Terms and conditions may apply, YMMV.