Quantcast

weds gfmt....

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
After flogging my truck down the Baja peninsula and back chasing after the race car, I have a growing list of enhancements I want to make. But first, riding some bikes and having Thanksgiving in Moab is in order. And maybe a shower.
What else? And how'd it all work?

I just picked up some King coilovers with remote reservoirs and compression clickers. I'd love to do some triple bypasses at all 4 corners but unless the money tree blossoms I don't see that happening.

heavyd

Monkey
Dec 1, 2016
Not where I wanna be
the hunt for proper winter riding pants is on. i think this might be the year i finally drop the change for a pair of endura pants.
I just ordered one of their jackets. I got some Pearl Izumi leg pull over thingies I wear with my regular shorts. Believe it or not unless it's below 30 they're too warm lol.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I just ordered one of their jackets. I got some Pearl Izumi leg pull over thingies I wear with my regular shorts. Believe it or not unless it's below 30 they're too warm lol.
yea, i'm looking for something for when its below freezing. when its above freezing i just wear a pair of long bib tights under my shorts.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
once it gets below about 45-50 i switch to long tights under my shorts, depending on the wind
Pearl Izumi AmFib tights for sub freezing.

I wear the non-padded ones over my normal bibs. Baggies over the top.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Pearl Izumi AmFib tights for sub freezing.

I wear the non-padded ones over my normal bibs. Baggies over the top.
i've got some el cheapo nashbar ones which have been acceptable.

i need a proper pair of outer layer pants. i'm looking at the MT500 waterproof and the singletrack II trousers from endura. seems as if the main difference is the MT500 ones are waterproof whereas the the singletracks are merely water resistant.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Biggest thing I've noticed with the Endura stuff is some of it breathes a lot better than others.
i've got some windbreaker style pants from castelli and they don't breathe worth crap. it's like wearing a trash bag, but they are waterproof and i got them SUPER cheap. just not durable enough for trail riding, i only really use them when its super cold or riding road.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i guess what i'm trying to determine is whether or not i really need them to be waterproof (and if its worth an extra $75). if i'm riding in the rain i won't be mountain biking, just road so i'll use the castellis. snow sure, but then i'm not entirely sure fully waterproof is necessary.

there's a local shop that carries endura, i've messaged them via FB to see what they have in stock to check out.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
the hunt for proper winter riding pants is on. i think this might be the year i finally drop the change for a pair of endura pants.
I wear these: http://www.eddiebauer.com/product/mens-guide-pro-alpine-pants/38832228?showProducts=&color=100&sizetype=&size=

Can usually get at least 40% off around the holidays, they are warm, water resistant, breathe well, and are slim enough not to get in the way. They are my go to pants for aerobic winter activities. No underlayer necessary for 20+ degrees, tights underneath can bring them down to 0ish degrees.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
i've got some el cheapo nashbar ones which have been acceptable.

i need a proper pair of outer layer pants. i'm looking at the MT500 waterproof and the singletrack II trousers from endura. seems as if the main difference is the MT500 ones are waterproof whereas the the singletracks are merely water resistant.
we do this thread every year. we should look it up.

fwiw, I wear fleecy bib pants (Roubaix thermal fleece) with shorts over top down to about 23°. I'll wear soft shell pants instead of the shorts when it's colder than that, but only if it's not wet. When pants get wet, they just get sloppy and annoying. If it's below freezing and wet*, they just become chunks of ice, especially around the ankles.

I only ever use hardshell pants for commuting when it's wet. I hate riding in hardshell pants. That said, I just picked these up about a month ago and have to admit they're pretty dang good (for commuting). They are flexible, light, tapered, waterproof, and not excessively expensive. I'm tempted to wear them riding next time conditions are messy. (which is probably tomorrow).

*as in, it's cold enough to freeze, but if puddles are deep enough and haven't frozen solid yet.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
we do this thread every year. we should look it up.

fwiw, I wear fleecy bib pants (Roubaix thermal fleece) with shorts over top down to about 23°. I'll wear soft shell pants instead of the shorts when it's colder than that, but only if it's not wet. When pants get wet, they just get sloppy and annoying. If it's below freezing and wet*, they just become chunks of ice, especially around the ankles.

I only ever use hardshell pants for commuting when it's wet. I hate riding in hardshell pants. That said, I just picked these up about a month ago and have to admit they're pretty dang good (for commuting). They are flexible, light, tapered, waterproof, and not excessively expensive. I'm tempted to wear them riding next time conditions are messy. (which is probably tomorrow).

*as in, it's cold enough to freeze, but if puddles are deep enough and haven't frozen solid yet.
There is a brand new and shiny thread that isn't getting much attention as it is actually in a bike related forum

http://ridemonkey.bikemag.com/threads/psa-for-cold-weather-riding.279412/#post-4241488

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I wear these: http://www.eddiebauer.com/product/mens-guide-pro-alpine-pants/38832228?showProducts=&color=100&sizetype=&size=

Can usually get at least 40% off around the holidays, they are warm, water resistant, breathe well, and are slim enough not to get in the way. They are my go to pants for aerobic winter activities. No underlayer necessary for 20+ degrees, tights underneath can bring them down to 0ish degrees.
I need something more articulated for riding.

And those are almost as much as the more expensive endura options

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Let me guess - Citrix and non-flash storage arrays?
Not 100% sure. I de believe there was Shitrix involved. They rolled out new WYSE terminals this week. IT claims the performance issue is network-specific issues, unrelated to the new terminals and related new desktop environment.

Also amused by the conversation where I asked if all my bookmarks and shortcuts will get lost in the new environment, the IT guys say no, then I need to rebuild my library of shortcuts.