Quantcast

weight lifting reps, how many???

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Here's the deal, I have read many places that to build lean muscle three sets of approx. 10 reps is more or less ideal. Well since I am looking to build lean muscle (not bulk up) my question is this. When I do three sets of 10, on my first set I am golden at ten, on my second set I can pull ten pretty easy, and on the third I can usually pull at least 8 or 9 if not 10 reps. For the sake of experimenting I have done as many reps as possible on my 1st set (13-16) and as many as possible on my 2nd set (8-10) and same 3rd set (6-9). Which method will get better results? Or what should I do different? Most of the exercises I do involve my body weight (bar-dips, pull-ups, chin-ups, push-ups, etc) so changing the weight is not really feasible.

Sep 17, 2003
there are as many options for resistance training as there are muscles in your body.

i would hook up with a personal trainer (one who has obviously trained in growing lean muscle mass), and get some books on the subject.
one book i had as a young lad was arnold schwartzenegger's(sp?) encyclopedia of body building.....also check out www.anabolicreview.com

your is a loaded question, go out and get some knowledge.