Quantcast

Weight Loss Supplements

TheBiggmann

Chimp
Jun 21, 2006
So, I've been stuck around the same level of fat for probably 2-3 years now. My body composition has changed, as i started lifting very heavily this year. I put on a ton of muscle, but the fat is still there. I eat healthy, lift weights four days a week and do cardio probably 3 in the winter and 5 in the summer. Have you guys had any luck with any weight loss/fat burning supplements? I just want something to finally get me over that little hump, something to help me burn more fat and still be able to build muscle like I am. Thanks.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
The only supplement that really empacted my body mass was ephedrine (the original ripped fuel).

The plataeu of your body fat% could also be due to your body being accustomed to the exercise. Sure 3-5 days of cardio is nice, but what do you do on those days and how long do you do it? The same type of cardio, eg. running, spinning, swimming? Try changing it up, maybe doing interval training.

Diet can also play a huge point. Have you tried altering your carb/protein ratio?

TheBiggmann

Chimp
Jun 21, 2006
Omega 3's help? Really? I may have to give that a shot. As for ephedrine, is that stuff legal anymore? I don't claim to follow the news a ton, but i've just heard random stuff here and there about it. I haven't changed up my protein/carb ratio, but then again i don't really have a set one either. My workouts vary a lot, some days it's biking, running, stairs, hell even swimming every once in a while.

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC
I wouldn't advise using any fat burning supplements. For the most part most of them are not at all good for you. I would look into doing interval workouts(lifting and cardio). You have the potential to burn more fat doing that than anything. That along with reducing any processed carbohydrate intake you may have.

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
fat burners tend to drop weight fast, them you put it back on just as fast and are back to square 1.

you havent mentioned your diet much, to lose fat you need to take in less calories that you use in daily life/training etc.. i would aim to cut about 200 calories from your daily intake, perform wour weekly routine and weigh yourself again on the same day the following week. if you have lost weight, stay with this diet protocol until weight loss stops, then drop another 200 cals and repeat.

when it comes to weight loss its a case of slowly but surely, a loss of 1lb per week is attainable and can be sustained

SLanD3r

Chimp
Apr 6, 2006
Haha it's seriously cuz of meth? I thought it was like some side effect or something; wow haha.
meth is part of the reason, the other reason is because of the side effects. It was linked to the death of Steve Bechler, a pitcher for the Balitmore Orioles.

IMO it's some nasty stuff.

Tommy Thompson, the Secretary of Health and Human Services, stated that "...These products pose unacceptable health risks, and any consumers who are still using them should stop immediately."

The New England Journal of Medicine in 2000, found a number of cases of sudden cardiac death or severe disability resulting from ephedra use, many of which occurred in young adults using ephedra in the labeled dosages. Subsequently, in response to pressure from the consumer advocacy group Public Citizen, Metabolife was compelled by the Department of Justice in 2002 to turn over reports of over 15,000 ephedra-related adverse events, ranging from insomnia to death, which the company had previously withheld from the FDA. Use of ephedra was considered to have possibly contributed to the death of Minnesota Vikings offensive lineman Korey Stringer from heatstroke in 2001.

(last 2 paragraphs ripped from wikipedia:ephedra)

Weightloss:

LMC had some solid advice. Ephedra has been linked to short term weight loss but not much evidence for long term weight loss.

If you really are that motivated to lose weight all you have to do is consume less than what you use like LMC stated. Calorie counting is a pain but I can lose weight at will because I monitor my calorie intake so closely.

The rule of thumb is that 3500 calorie deficit is equivalent to about a 1 lb. of weight loss.

To lose 1 lb. a week, you have to consume 500 less calories than you use each day (500 x 7 = 3500)

To find out how many calories you use in a day, find out your BMR (basal metabolic rate) which is basically the # of calories your body uses in a day if you did absolutely nothing (i.e. sleep 24 hours). Then add in calories for daily movement as well as exercise.

There are plenty of BMR calculators online. My BMR is 1900 a day, so when I don't exercise I estimate about 2300-2400 w/o exercise, and about 3200-3500 when I do exercise and I eat accordingly.

Regarding omega 3, I don't know of any link to weight loss it has, but it is really good for you though. Many studies suggest it reduces the chance of cancer as well as heart disease, as well as being good for brain health and immune function.

Just as a quick warning, be very selective when you eat out. You would be flabbergasted to find out the calorie content in many of the meals out there.

For example, getting a double whopper with large fries and large soda is already over 2000 calories, and that's one meal. Eat that amount 2 or 3 times a day? thats 4000-6000+ calories.

Drinks are an easy way to consume calories also, many of those fancy coffee drinks with caramel, chocolate or what not are easily 600+ calories each.

Personally I'd stay away from diet drinks too, they typically use aspartame which has been linked to all sorts of health problems, although it is still controversial at this time.

Eating healthy fills you up with less calories, also since eating healthy generally doesn't taste as good you are less likely to overeat. But boy is the beginning transition difficult.

Good doctors will tell you that the best diet is the diet you can keep forever.

Those crash diets never last long (vast majority gain the weight back in the long term), in the end you need to find a diet that you believe you can sustain for the rest of your life. You know yourself the best so you need to find a balance between what is good for you and what is good for your taste buds.

GOOD LUCK!

BikeLuvR904

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
Hmm weight loss supplements eh? How about hard work in the gym and a very very disciplined diet? There are no shortcuts or easy ways out...