Quantcast

Weight Max For Rear Suspension AM / Enduro?

valentin_84

Chimp
Sep 26, 2007
Surprise, Arizona
So, right now I'm on a hard tail 1x10 that gets it all done. Simple, easy, solid. BUT! For my birthday, my wife's getting me my first full suspension bike.:D

Now, I've read a couple places that full suspension All Mountain / Enduro bikes will bottom out with a rider weighing 200 pounds or more... I'm at 230 and don't really want to get a coil because I'll be doing a lot of climbing, so, obviously, a dilemma...:think: I have to admit, I'm clueless when it comes to suspension. I lock my fork when I climb and ride flat, and fully open it when I head down. So, any advice or shared experience would help greatly!!!

I'm leaning towards a Specialized Enduro 29er or a Stumpjumper FSR.

In case it helps, I live in Arizona and will do all my riding in - Prescott / Flagstaff / Sedona / Phoenix areas.

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
230lbs isn't really out of the reasonable range. Santa Cruz for example has tuning guides that go much higher than that. It kind of depends on the shock though. The older Fox RP3s were pretty bad with heavier riders.

I have helped a rider who was around 210 use the Specialized auto sag and it worked fine at that level. If you are purchasing through shop they should set the bike up for your weight for a test ride. If not, find another shop.

valentin_84

Chimp
Sep 26, 2007
Surprise, Arizona
Well that's good to hear!

Well speaking of weight, does going to a 29er at my weight make sense? I'm on a 26 now and I hear the rims can take more of a beating than the 29's...