Quantcast

Weight Training and a couple questions.

CrAckErKorEan

Ridemonkey's own half breed
Nov 29, 2001
Winder GA (Its in the sticks)
I am going to start weight training soon and need a few questions answered.

1. Whats the differnece between the Olympic and stanard wegihts other than size. Is one better than the other?

2. All I have right now is a set of dumbells with 4x 5lb plates and 4x 2.5 lb plates. What should one do to start working out? I would like to do complete body workout.

3. What else should I put at the top of my buy list so that I can get a good wegiht training workout but not break the bank. ( I dont have the room for a cage. A bench maybe but thats it)

Thanks for all the help:monkey:

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
I honestly don't know anymore.
1. Olympic weights have a bigger hole for going into the bigger sized Olympic bars. These are easier to use than the smaller size ones. You won't be able to get enough weight on a bar with the small weights without buying a ton of them.

2 and 3. You can get a total body workout with just a set of dumbells. Fitness magazines always have articles about doing just that. Pick one up at a newstand and rip the article out of it. Thats usually all people can afford or have room for if they don't bother with a gym. I'd reccomend you get a olympic weight set (I think they will usually sell a set of 300lbs, not sure) w/ a full size and EZ curl bar. You'll want a bench with an incline. Where to buy these? WANT ADS. Rediculously cheaper than buying new and they'll usually be in great condition still. A power rack would be good to buy too, but if you don't have the room you can make do with just a bench.

Getting a membership to a YMCA or something similar is something I'd reccomend as well. Its great to work out at home, but sometimes you just need more equipment.