Quantcast

Weight training...How many ladies do it?

mohshee

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
MD by way of Austin, TX
So TBFKAHG and I just started a new weight lifting routine. Our primary love is of course bikes and mountain biking, but weight lifting is a good way to build/develop muscle and stamina and loose weight. For women, it also increases bone density and helps prevent bone problems later on when we get older.

On a personal level, it also allows me to enjoy biking at a new level. The routines we've been doing are really applicable to riding and racing.

I occasionally see ladies in the gym working out, but most of them fear getting "bulky" and do really repeatative sets with 2 or 5 lb weights OR they are victims of some of the useless machines (that I think are taylored specifically for women).

I was just curious how many ladies weight lift, in preparation for biking. Or maybe what kind of alternative excerisizes you do when you aren't riding and how these benefit your cycling.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I already have big guns, so I do very little upper body work. I spend a lot of time on core workouts and exercises to strengthen my hamstrings and calves. There is no quad workout I can do that doesn't bother my knee, so I let cycling build and maintain those muscles.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I do some light lifting to help me in technical sections and DHing. I find that my arms get tired if I don't try to keep them working. I also work on a balance ball for my core workouts and stability. :( Sadly, I haven't been so faithful to my previous workouts, but I hope to return to them soon!

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I always have the best intentions to start a weight workout. I've always been a muscle-bound person, however, so when I lift it's more to build strength. More regularly, however, I do some yoga and then core exericises and back exercises on the stability ball. That seems to directly affect my riding.

TBFKAHG

Monkey
Aug 11, 2005
Build up your glutes, you have no idea how much that helps the DHing aspect of riding...
Hah, if you've every seen Mohshee's glutes then you would know she doesn't need to build those up any :)
But in all seriousness, it's all about balance. If you are focusing on one area and neglecting others you are doing yourself a serious disservice and could actually develop real complications down the line.

mohshee

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
MD by way of Austin, TX
Hah, if you've every seen Mohshee's glutes then you would know she doesn't need to build those up any :)
But in all seriousness, it's all about balance. If you are focusing on one area and neglecting others you are doing yourself a serious disservice and could actually develop real complications down the line.
gee thanks. you telling me I have a phat a$$?

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
i do weights. but more for snowboarding then biking. i find that just biking lots helps me with biking. but if i don't do weights before the winter season, my legs and core muscles are hurt up.

dhchix

Chimp
Mar 26, 2006
NC

:biggrin: I too have been blessed with a power house.

I try to lift weights at least two or three days a week. I have found it to be very helpful in my riding as well as getting me through everyday issues. I have more strength and stamina and I love it. I enjoy the burn I get from pushing those muscles to failure. :banana:

FAST

Chimp
Feb 6, 2003
Louisville, CO
There are so many different methods and ways and reasons to lift weights. Moshee-you're primarily a dher/4crosser-right? You should be lifting differently than an xcer would. The DIET side of things is HUGE!! I could be training someone to get lean and tone-or I could train someone to put on a lot of muscle-having them on a very similar lifting regimen but one with restricted calories. In my experience-diet is at least 70% of your results. I'm a personal trainer and absolutely love it. I'd love to offer any advice! :)

TBFKAHG

Monkey
Aug 11, 2005
There are so many different methods and ways and reasons to lift weights. Moshee-you're primarily a dher/4crosser-right? You should be lifting differently than an xcer would. The DIET side of things is HUGE!! I could be training someone to get lean and tone-or I could train someone to put on a lot of muscle-having them on a very similar lifting regimen but one with restricted calories. In my experience-diet is at least 70% of your results. I'm a personal trainer and absolutely love it. I'd love to offer any advice! :)
We are lifting for general fitness and strength conditioning, not so much to emphasize one particular area of biking. It just an added bonus that it will help with riding in general. And while I will agree with you that proper diet is very crucial to getting proper results I will strongly disagree that restriting calories (depending of course on your definition of restricting calories) will offer any benefits , especialy if you are trying to take advantage of the afterburn effect. When you restrict calories your body reacts by being less efficient in burning calories and can really hamper both weight loss and muscle building goals.

The stanard response of "eat less and exercise more" when someone asks the best way to lose weight is not really sound advice. While exercising more is almost always correct in the equation there are many cases where the person needs to increase their calorie intake to get the best results, not restrict them.

And don't even get me started on the fact that most people lift weights wrong. Well, wrong is not really the best word for it but lets say they aren't doing things the best way.

mohshee

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
MD by way of Austin, TX
yeah -- I am primarily a DH/4x racer now, but I ride a lot of xc (I just don't really like racing xc lately). So I have been focusing on kind of global fitness and health, like TBFKAHG mentions. I really feel that things like deadlifting and squats will totally enhance my ability to race DH. I feel like my arms and back and legs are getting stronger -- good for those long DH runs at top speed through technical stuff. And I really would like to be a strong DH racer -- even maybe to the point of having a serious DH racing future. A lot of the weight lifting is helping my grip -- my hands and arms get so cramped and tired when racing DH sometimes.

I am becoming an advocate for free-weight lifting :)

tea party

Chimp
Sep 20, 2006
Colorado
Yesterday-I wrote in but I was logged in under my husbands name-by accident-"Fast". I by no means want to argue the restricted calorie issue-I know science and I have experience training myself and other clients. DEPENDING ON WHAT YOUR GOAL IS-determines how you need to eat to reach that goal. Your body has three primary means of using energy-and you need to give your body the correct fuel to get certain results. EVERYBODY is different and responds differently. What a person needs to eat is very case sensitive. I'm a rider/racer too and I LOVE to help others. That's why I am in the proffession that I am (both in MTBing and being a personal trainer). Please don't take me to be pushy-I only wrote in because I am a female and can relate about the topic and also thought I could offer some advice. :)

mohshee

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
MD by way of Austin, TX
I think it is awesome that you, tea party, are a personal trainer that actually is a female AND is a rider/racer. I always wonder about "personal trainers" -- there seems to be a lot of slacker ones at the gym I've been going to. It makes you wonder if they have any credentials. They seem to just stick people on machines and don't necessarily look that fit themselves. I think it should be a requirement that personal trainers are also athletes themselves.

tea party

Chimp
Sep 20, 2006
Colorado
I couldn't agree more!!! People should definately "interview" their trainer before deciding on one! It's a huge dis-service to clients when their trainer is off in lala land and not even paying attention-or even living a healthy lifestyle themselves. Choose your trainer wisely!! :)

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
I hate working out in a gym but when I have in the past, it's definitely helped me with climbing, biking, skiing. Muscles make everything easier. My current method of weight training is hauling my big bike around everywhere...well, I'm right forearm is getting a workout...:brow:

Now what I'd like to know is how to get in shape for a ride-a-thon up at Whistler in two weeks. I haven't been doing much XC at all, maybe one ten-mile trainer ride a week and lots of practice at the Flow Park, but nothing resembling doing DH. Maybe lots of drugs will be the answer to sustain those two days of heavy riding. I can recuperate during the week after that!

TBFKAHG

Monkey
Aug 11, 2005
I hate working out in a gym but when I have in the past, it's definitely helped me with climbing, biking, skiing. Muscles make everything easier. My current method of weight training is hauling my big bike around everywhere...well, I'm right forearm is getting a workout...:brow:
Fortunately I really enjoy lifting weights so its pretty easy to stay motivated about it. Mohshee seems to be taking a real liking to it as well.

SuperKat

Monkey
Jul 3, 2005
New York
I lift about four times a week. I'm addicted to that almost as much as riding. It really helps out with injury recovery time too. Very good for MTB and snowboarding.

nanhar

Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Riverside, CA
I have lifted weights for years but never had a mountain bike specific routine. I recently hired a Strength Training Coach who specializes in just that. You can check it out at http://www.mtbstrengthtrainingsystem.com/. I have really noticed a big difference in stamina and performance. I race both DH and Super D and do alot of trail riding as well.

Keep in mind that cycling in and of itself does not develop the muscles you use for cycling. :brow:

weimie

Monkey
May 11, 2006
Boulder, CO
We weight train in the winter only. I can't stand being in the gym during the summertime. It's amazing how good lifting weights can make you feel, I feel so strong and healty after a good workout.

And, um....without getting to personal....it does wonders to male labedo :brows:

nanhar

Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Riverside, CA
Oh, I forgot to mention, my strength training program includes the following:

1. Weight Training 2 to 3 times per week
  2. Stretching 3 to 5 times per week
  3. Mobility exercises 3 to 5 times per week
    :happydance:

NJ Jess

Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
mtbnj.com
I love this thread. I used to wt lift a lot. Went to college on a Track scholarship for discus and Javelin. Now I'm working nearly a 2 hour drive from my home, therefore I have a 14 hour work day. I have very little time to ride, not to mention, work out.

What top 3 to 6 exercises? Currently I do: push ups, the plank, good mornings, donkey kicks, and up right rows with dumbbells. I do all that in 10 -20 minutes. got anything better? Thanks:twitch:

Honeyd

Chimp
Sep 7, 2006
I worked out on a regular basis before I started biking. Within the last 6mos I've slacked off a little and can definately tell the difference in my biking. Mostly its just stamina but I think its important to work out not just for biking but for your overall health too. I will go to the gym 3-4 x a week: 1) back/bi's/abs, 2) chest/tri's/abs, 3) shoulders/abs 4) legs. Will do 15mins of riding stationary bike for warmup and 40mins of whatever kind of cardio after the weights. I'll do about 3-4 sets of 15, last set will go to failure - if you arent tired after 3-4 sets then your lifting to easy of weight. Also, if you can find a good trainer that helps enormously. I worked with one for two years and I found to be extremely helpful.

TBFKAHG

Monkey
Aug 11, 2005
Currently I do: push ups, the plank, good mornings, donkey kicks, and up right rows with dumbbells. I do all that in 10 -20 minutes. got anything better? Thanks:twitch:
How are you doing the rows? both dumbells at once, leaning on a bench, standing?
I've started using a new technique for my dumbell rows and it really helps prevent any cheating (which is easy to do when doing the old lean on a bench method by dipping the weight low really low and then swinging your body and using momentum to help lift).

It's a one arm dubell row and I'll try and describe it.
For the purpose of the example assume working the right side.
Stand feet shoulder width apart and bend at the waist maintan a natural arch on the back. Place you left hand on the small of your back palm facing up, fingers pointing across your body to the right. Lift with the right hand. Do your reps and switch.
What I really like about this technique is that with the hand on the lower back you can feel if your form starts to slip.

If you do have a bench you could throw in some Step Ups or Bulgarian Split squats for some good leg exercises.

The other big question is how long have you been doing this particular workout? As your body adapts to a workout it will become less effective so you want to mix it up.

TBFKAHG

Monkey
Aug 11, 2005
I worked out on a regular basis before I started biking. Within the last 6mos I've slacked off a little and can definately tell the difference in my biking. Mostly its just stamina but I think its important to work out not just for biking but for your overall health too. I will go to the gym 3-4 x a week: 1) back/bi's/abs, 2) chest/tri's/abs, 3) shoulders/abs 4) legs. Will do 15mins of riding stationary bike for warmup and 40mins of whatever kind of cardio after the weights. I'll do about 3-4 sets of 15, last set will go to failure - if you arent tired after 3-4 sets then your lifting to easy of weight. Also, if you can find a good trainer that helps enormously. I worked with one for two years and I found to be extremely helpful.
If it was a Trainer that put you on that kind of split/program then I would say you didn't have a very good trainer. I've wasted plenty of time myself on isolation exercises but there is a lot of good info out there these days and let's just say that unless you are a Body Builder then Isolation exercises aren't really all they are cracked up to be. You will get much better "practical" results doing total body workouts focusing on exercises that use muscles in combination the way they were intended to be used.

A Body builder would laugh at my current program due to its lack of arm specific exercises but the reality of the situation is that their programs are developed right along with Anabolic steroids and aren't that useful for overall strength and fitness purposes.

Honeyd

Chimp
Sep 7, 2006
Everybodys different and will have their own routine that works for them...i was just giving a brief overview of each of my workouts during the week. Doing it that way does allow me to totally focus on the muscle that im working out as opposed to working my whole body in one big lame workout. It also keeps me very lean. My trainer happened to be a very good friend of mine and great at what he did. I know for a fact he did not, and would never, steer me wrong.

TBFKAHG

Monkey
Aug 11, 2005
Everybodys different and will have their own routine that works for them...i was just giving a brief overview of each of my workouts during the week. Doing it that way does allow me to totally focus on the muscle that im working out as opposed to working my whole body in one big lame workout. It also keeps me very lean. My trainer happened to be a very good friend of mine and great at what he did. I know for a fact he did not, and would never, steer me wrong.
Wow, so Alwyn Cosgrove, one of the top names in the fitness industry, designs lame workouts? Guess we should inform the press :)

And I'm sure your friend would never steer you wrong. For years now isolation exercises have been the mainstay because that's what has been adopted by the body builders and has been touted in all the magazines but now that real studies on strength training are beginning to take place it is rapidly becoming apparent that for overall fitness/conditioning those types of workouts aren't really all they are cracked up to be and in some cases can actually be detrimental.
I wish I had allt his info 17 years ago when I first started lifting weights. So much time wasted doing curls (in all their infinite varations) , tricep presses, and such.

Hell, just 3 or 4 months ago those would have been staples of any program I developed but with everything I've learned lately, multi-joint/functional exercises just make more sense and my body seems to be very appreciative of the switch in methodologies.

tea party

Chimp
Sep 20, 2006
Colorado
You seem to harp on most people who post anything on here about their routine-or any knowlege they have regarding fitness. Where's the love? We're all just chatting-you seem to come across quite abrasively-and like you know above and beyond anyone else on this forum. Bummer! Love!!!

TBFKAHG

Monkey
Aug 11, 2005
You seem to harp on most people who post anything on here about their routine-or any knowlege they have regarding fitness. Where's the love? We're all just chatting-you seem to come across quite abrasively-and like you know above and beyond anyone else on this forum. Bummer! Love!!!
Hmm this is interesting. I actually posted up a follow up apologizing if I was coming off too harsh and included some ideas for some interval training to be discussed but apparently that post didn't go through.
So again,sorry if I came off as a bit harsh.
But I must say that I have seen countless personal trainers walk their clients from machine to machine and just tell the client "dothat next" which just soils the image of personal trainers. With the rise of big "health club" chains over the years it seems that some of them will jus take anyone off the street. And yes I know, that not evey personal trainer fits into that category but there are definitely far too man that do these days.

And some of my stuff was perhaps taken a bit too literally but my wording didn't help. The bottom line is that doing any type of weight lifting is definitely better than doing none at all.

I will admit that with all the new information I have read I do feel pretty strongly that for most people a well balanced program that focuses on exercises that use multi-joint movent from a standing position will prove more beneficial for general fitness and strength conditioning purposes than the standard routine that places a lot of the emphasis on isolation exercises of support muscles(which is exactly the same type of routine I spent years doing myself).

Oh, and I forgot to mention. I was laid off last week and am a bit bitter about that so that could definitely be influencing the tone of my posts.

TBFKAHG

Monkey
Aug 11, 2005
How are you doing the rows? both dumbells at once, leaning on a bench, standing?
I've started using a new technique for my dumbell rows and it really helps prevent any cheating (which is easy to do when doing the old lean on a bench method by dipping the weight low really low and then swinging your body and using momentum to help lift).

Stand feet shoulder width apart and bend at the waist maintan a natural arch on the back. Place you left hand on the small of your back palm facing up, fingers pointing across your body to the right. Lift with the right hand. Do your reps and switch.
What I really like about this technique is that with the hand on the lower back you can feel if your form starts to slip.

If you do have a bench you could throw in some Step Ups or Bulgarian Split squats for some good leg exercises.

The other big question is how long have you been doing this particular workout? As your body adapts to a workout it will become less effective so you want to mix it up.
Yikes, apparently I accidentaly edited my old post istead of creating a new on. Not sure how I did that. If you were interested in the stuff I had on Complexes I can repost the example workout.

TBFKAHG

Monkey
Aug 11, 2005
Will do 15mins of riding stationary bike for warmup and 40mins of whatever kind of cardio after the weights.
Attepting to repost some of the suff that apparently didn't go through earlier.

In your cardio, this might be a good one to try.
Do 3-4 rounds (or as many as you can) of intervals with 1 minute at max intensity followed by 2 minutes of moderate.

Here's the basic layout
5 minutes warmup
X rounds 3 minutes each
5 minutes cooldown

The round consists of 1 minute at max intensity (10 on a scale of 10) followed by 2 minutes moderate (6-7/10).

I thought I was in pretty good cardio shape so figured I would skip ahead and start off with either 4 or 5 rounds. I got 10 seconds into round 1 and realized there was no way I was doing more than 3 yet, it totally kicked my ass. It definitely teaches the body how to deal with serious lactic acid build up and if the numbers on the machine are to be believed in 19 minutes (10 of that being the low intensity warm up and cool down) I burn 200-240 calories.

The only other rule to it is never do the same cardio machine 2 workouts in a row. I want to mix the row machine into the mix but the ones at the gym are adjusted via the flywheel so you can't change the intensity without stopping and getting off :(

Honeyd

Chimp
Sep 7, 2006
I appreciate the advice. I definately have learned one big lesson...try to never be vague in posts.

Sounds like your talking about some kind of circuit training?? If you want to post your example workout I'd be happy to try it for a week and let you know what I think of it.

I admit, I'm not up on the latest and greatest because I'd rather be riding my bike. I get in the gym & out as fast as I can. I also won't be posting my entire workout here because it would probably be ginormous and I don't want to bore (and the fact that at this time of the night I have a very short attention span :bonk: ) I work on free weights, weight machines, excersize balls, speed training things...I do it all. I just wanted to say...being stronger will only make you better rider than you already are....it sure as hell won't hurt you!

TBFKAHG

Monkey
Aug 11, 2005
I appreciate the advice. I definately have learned one big lesson...try to never be vague in posts.

Sounds like your talking about some kind of circuit training?? If you want to post your example workout I'd be happy to try it for a week and let you know what I think of it.

I admit, I'm not up on the latest and greatest because I'd rather be riding my bike. I get in the gym & out as fast as I can. I also won't be posting my entire workout here because it would probably be ginormous and I don't want to bore (and the fact that at this time of the night I have a very short attention span :bonk: ) I work on free weights, weight machines, excersize balls, speed training things...I do it all. I just wanted to say...being stronger will only make you better rider than you already are....it sure as hell won't hurt you!
Our current cycle, which we'll finish up next week is a Fat loss cycle and consisted of 4 workouts a week for 3 weeks.

The 2 workouts in the cycle are as follows:

Workout A
Superset 1: Squats/Cable Seated Row
Superset 2: Supine Hip Extension/Dumbel Push Press
Superset 3: Swiss Ball crunch/Walking Roational Lunge

Wokout B:
Superset 1: Deadlift/Incline Dumbell Press
Superset 2: Bulgarian Split Squat/Mixed Grip Lat Pull down
Superset 3: Swiss Ball lateral Roll/Romanian Deadlift

3 sets of everything. You do each workout 2 times using reps of 15 and 75 seconds then move to 12 reps with 60 second rest and finih up with 10 reps and 45 second rests. So each week you are upping the intensity some while lowering the volume.

I'll probably do an extra week on that program while Shay is in Pasadena for work. Then she comes home and its off to Hawaii for some R&R. When I get back I'll probably do a cycle of complexes while she stays in Hawaii for work.

When she returns she'll have been off the weights for a full month so we'll do another Fat loss program (different one of course) so as not to shock her body with something too intense then move into a Strength building or Hypertrophy (fancy word for muscle building) program.

NJ Jess

Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
mtbnj.com

Thanks for the information. I have been doing this routine since January. I do the rows simply standing up. I will try your hand on the back style and see how it works for me. Can someone please tell me what Bulgarian split squats, Romanian Deadlifts, and Swiss Ball lateral rolls are? Gee, I didn't know we were so internatioal! Thanks, jess

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I admit, I'm not up on the latest and greatest because I'd rather be riding my bike.
:biggrin:

I think it's great to trade information and help each other, but it's also important to see that we all have different goals and expectations. For me, the biggest change in my fitness and well-being has been diet-wise. I've shifted to eating more protein (before I definitely wasn't getting enough and eating too many carbs instead, many of which were simple carbs). That helped my season a lot. I will lift on occasion, but it's definitely not a priority right now. Even if I can do once a week and keep riding, I'll retain the muscle I have.

nanhar

Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Riverside, CA
Bulgarian split squats:

Elevating the rear leg challenges the balance of the athlete greater than if the rear leg were on the ground. This will require hip and leg stabilization by the rotators of the hip. Lastly, this exercise will increase the range of motion of the hip flexor of the rear leg. People do not usually consider strength-training exercises to improve flexibility, but they do. Increased depth of the squat will improve the flexibility of the opposite leg.

Below are pictures of the Bulgarian Split Squats being performed.

nanhar

Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Riverside, CA
Romanian Deadlifts: Training the Other Half of Your Leg
http://www.protraineronline.com/past/june9/romaniandeadlifts.cfm

So what makes the RDL so great? Two words – intensity and functionality. First, the RDL allows a much higher intensity level (basically more weight can be used) than a leg curl does. Considering that hamstrings are made up of primarily fast twitch muscle fibers which are best trained with higher intensity levels, the RDL is one of the most effective hamstring exercises you can do.

Second, the RDL is also far more functional than leg curls. Sorry folks, but leg curls are not a functional exercise. Although it may seem like knee flexion is a big part of your every day activities like running and walking, a look at the true biomechanics of these activities shows that it is, in fact, hip extension that plays the major role in these activities.

nanhar

Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Riverside, CA
Posture - Supine Lateral Ball Roll
http://www.chekinstitute.com/articles.cfm?select=64

Although it looks hard, the “Supine Lateral Ball Roll” is only challenging in proportion to how far the client deviates laterally on the ball. This excellent exercise necessitates integration of the upper and lower extremities via the trunk, serves to improve stability and balance and has a functional carryover to gait and any pushing or pulling activity that requires integration of the anterior and posterior muscle systems of the body. Activation of the extensor muscles from shoulder to contralateral hip aids in strengthening the muscles across the apex of the thoracic curvature, improving posture. With just a short period of coaching, the client becomes much more confident on the Swiss Ball.

mohshee

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
MD by way of Austin, TX
Bulgarian split squats:

Elevating the rear leg challenges the balance of the athlete greater than if the rear leg were on the ground. This will require hip and leg stabilization by the rotators of the hip. Lastly, this exercise will increase the range of motion of the hip flexor of the rear leg. People do not usually consider strength-training exercises to improve flexibility, but they do. Increased depth of the squat will improve the flexibility of the opposite leg.

Below are pictures of the Bulgarian Split Squats being performed.

Let me just say---these KILL me! (but in a good way). Sooo tougher then they appear....