Quantcast

Weight Training

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I have never gotten into the weight lifting stuff, I was forced to lift a little when I played volleyball. Now that it is the mountain biking offseason I am considering incorporating it into my training. Does anyone else lift? I don't want anymore muscles so I plan on doing light weight with long reps. Sound right? By all means I don't want to end up looking like that guy/gal/thing Toninator posted a few days ago.

Thanks for your input.
________
Rambler tarpon history

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I think doing some weight work in the off-season is a good idea to build some extra strength and power.
Heavy weights with low reps builds size and strength. Light weights with high reps tones and increases muscle endurance, and strength to a degree.
The other option if you don't want to lift weights is to start climbing hills in the big ring. This will also build strength and power.
;)

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO
Originally posted by Captain Cogset
I think doing some weight work in the off-season is a good idea to build some extra strength and power.
Heavy weights with low reps builds size and strength. Light weights with high reps tones and increases muscle endurance, and strength to a degree.
The other option if you don't want to lift weights is to start climbing hills in the big ring. This will also build strength and power.
;)
Yep Yep ditto to all o dat!

Weight training is a great way to stay in shape all year round. If you put on muscle easily and dont want to gain anymore than definitely light weights and higher reps.. Indoor spinning which I know you do is also great. Any balance work on the Fit ball I HIGHLY recommend. PM me and i can share some great fit ball excerises. Building core strength on the fit ball will help you in every area of activity in your life.

lJust my .02 cents:)

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Originally posted by JOJO

... ball excerises. Building core strength on the ball will help you in every area of activity in your life.

lJust my .02 cents:)
Wow i had no ideal there was a whole excerise descipline on "Ball Fitness" thanks for sharing. Where do i sigh up? Do i need a partner?

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by Heidi
I have never gotten into the weight lifting stuff, I was forced to lift a little when I played volleyball. Now that it is the mountain biking offseason I am considering incorporating it into my training. Does anyone else lift? I don't want anymore muscles so I plan on doing light weight with long reps. Sound right? By all means I don't want to end up looking like that guy/gal/thing Toninator posted a few days ago.

Thanks for your input.

Yep, lighter weights more reps. It will definitly keep you tone also adding upper and lower body strength, without getting big.:thumb:

iresmoke1

Monkey Flirt
Aug 1, 2001
Philadelphia
I lift free weights after my work out.
I find push ups help a lot as well. I have to keep up w/ those or I get sore all the time.

You go GIRL!

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO
So Heidi we are gonna have to start trading training secrets here. Now that you have learned about the "Resist A Ball"..... I am gonna need some 24 hr race preparation help.......... hmmm lets see I have about 3 1/2 months to prepare.. and I need to do alooooootttt of work...I am slow slow slow... Any advice on increasing pace and general preparation for February:confused: :D

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
So Heidi we are gonna have to start trading training secrets here. Now that you have learned about the "Resist A Ball"..... I am gonna need some 24 hr race preparation help.......... hmmm lets see I have about 3 1/2 months to prepare.. and I need to do alooooootttt of work...I am slow slow slow... Any advice on increasing pace and general preparation for February:confused: :D
There is a book that is perfect for this, I'll dig it out and study tonight. It's called, "The Mountain Biker's Training Bible" by Joe Friel. It gets real detailed and all, kinda dry in places. Since you guys are agreeing to do it just for fun, don't sweat about the speed thing too much though. Your spin classes will actually be the best preparation you get. You know, sprints, hills, intervals. I have no idea what kind of speed you have but since this will be your first race, I imagine your lap times will be somewhere around 90 minutes on that course. I'll PM you tomorrow or the next day.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown

Oh no, you aren't invited anymore!:D Go do your little fajitas ride.
thank you, fajitas is more fun cuz we go over to mexico and drink tequila for a couple of days before the race. Hay maybe i can meet ht overt there:rolleyes:

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by The Toninator

thank you, fajitas is more fun cuz we go over to mexico and drink tequila for a couple of days before the race. Hay maybe i can meet ht overt there:rolleyes:
Oh yah, I'm sure he'd be happy to show you some great places to eat and drink.

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO

There is a book that is perfect for this, I'll dig it out and study tonight. It's called, "The Mountain Biker's Training Bible" by Joe Friel. It gets real detailed and all, kinda dry in places. Since you guys are agreeing to do it just for fun, don't sweat about the speed thing too much though. Your spin classes will actually be the best preparation you get. You know, sprints, hills, intervals. I have no idea what kind of speed you have but since this will be your first race, I imagine your lap times will be somewhere around 90 minutes on that course. I'll PM you tomorrow or the next day.
Cool! I look forward to hearing from ya... and Ton after the 24 race we can still go drink Tequila..I PROMISE:D

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon

Cool! I look forward to hearing from ya... and Ton after the 24 race we can still go drink Tequila..I PROMISE:D
No, no tequilla, tequilla bad. Bad monkey!

DEMON

Chimp
Sep 20, 2001
maple ridge b.c.
weight lifting has been apart of my life for close to 18 years , i started mountainbiking in 93 and prior to that i was bodybuilding , the first few years of riding were hell , my legs where trained for size and strenght , and would pump-up so fast i had lots of power and no endurance , today older and wiser i still lift weights but i do it differently , i circuit train and superset , these have lots of benifits when it comes to riding , your heartrate is elevated , you build muscle strength and endurace , plus you tone your bod as well , weight training also helps prevent injuries related to riding and crashing , stretching is also very important for injury prevention . combine all the above and it will help make you a better rider .

Nov 28, 2001
Heidi, Joel Friels book has a GREAT weight training plan for the off season. YOU WILL IMPROVE!, and you will not get huge muscles. If anything your muscular defenition will look better=more shapely :)
The workout routine I have always done is very similar to what Joel Friel recommends, and I highly recommend it :)

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by FrazzledBanana
Heidi, Joel Friels book has a GREAT weight training plan for the off season. YOU WILL IMPROVE!, and you will not get huge muscles. If anything your muscular defenition will look better=more shapely :)
The workout routine I have always done is very similar to what Joel Friel recommends, and I highly recommend it :)
Yes, that's the book I'm using, it is great!:)