Quantcast

Weight Weenies...

MorewoodKid

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
In the woods...
How's the sizing for the 07 Shova LT? If recall, last year's small Shova LT is really small and the large is kinda like most mediums in the market.
'07 Spec pasted below. Angles obviously depend on fork A/C height. The Shova LT I posted in this thread is a Small frame, and with the current setup has a 65.8 deg head angle.

'07 Shova LT Small:

• Head Tube Angle: 67 deg
  • BB Height: +30mm
  • Chainstay: 438mm
  • Top Tube: 570mm
  • Seat Tube Angle: 72 deg
  • Seat Tube Length: 420mm
  • Rear Travel: 7.2"

'07 Shova LT Large:

• Head Tube Angle: 67 deg
  • BB Height: +30mm
  • Chainstay: 438mm
  • Top Tube: 600mm
  • Seat Tube Angle: 71 deg
  • Seat Tube Length: 460mm
  • Rear Travel: 7.2"

PoserNewbie

Monkey
Feb 14, 2003
Lower Mainland, BC
Hmmm.........actually it does (of course, seat angle make a difference). At least the actual TT measurement allows me to compare to other bikes with similar angle to get a sense of cockpit length.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
I am with you. I am sure he is a great guy but it comes down to your definition of DH. Downieville is raced py people on 6" bikes for god sake. We are not talking about the same thing here! A DH bike should be able to handle trail like Mt Snow NCS, Schweitzer NCS, No joke and others a full speed. I think that is why people jump on him. His bike is NOT downhill worthy by most people standard even though I am sure it is fine for Downieville.

BTW I am as much a weight wiennie as anyone: I have duraace parts, ti spring, ti bolts throughout my bike, triple butted spokes and such, still I don’t not consider his bike downwhill worthy. Now if most of my riding was extended downhills ala Downieville his rig would be prime!!
There are no resorts neer by, so I have downieville and the local trails, but I did build the bike for north star

MorewoodKid

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
In the woods...
Hmmm.........actually it does (of course, seat angle make a difference). At least the actual TT measurement allows me to compare to other bikes with similar angle to get a sense of cockpit length.
There is a little more involved: slope/ angle of top tube. Length of seat tube, angle of seat tube etc. On the '07 Shova LT and Izimu the top tube does not weld onto the head tube, but rather joins onto the down tube, making this even more difficult. Most frame geo's state the extended top tube lenght because of this as it gives you a far more realistic figure.

PoserNewbie

Monkey
Feb 14, 2003
Lower Mainland, BC
I know how most frames state their geometry. Does not mean I have to like the way the industry does things. FYI, some companies actually publish their actual TT length (ie. specialized, turner bikes, transition bike to name a few). I hate ETT measurement it is also dependant on how long you extend the seatpost.

Of course, you could just do me a favor and measure the actual TT without having to argue.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I know how most frames state their geometry. Does not mean I have to like the way the industry does things. FYI, some companies actually publish their actual TT length (ie. specialized, turner bikes, transition bike to name a few). I hate ETT measurement it is also dependant on how long you extend the seatpost.

Of course, you could just do me a favor and measure the actual TT without having to argue.
Take the wheelbase minus the chainstays and use the front center. Once you factor in HA (which is usually similar from frame to frame) you've got a real measure of how long the bike will ride in the front.

MorewoodKid

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
In the woods...

I will post comparisons for you in a bit... just on the job :biggrin:

Do you want the measurement from C of head tube to C of seat clamp (top of seat tube) or to C of seat tube (at seat tube/ top tube junction)

Just had a look @ the Speci site and they don't state where it is to the just say "TT is measured horizontally from center of HT to center of ST" Which would be the extended length.

Sorry, I am sic need to help a brother out here... :imstupid:

PoserNewbie

Monkey
Feb 14, 2003
Lower Mainland, BC
I will post comparisons for you in a bit... just on the job :biggrin:

Do you want the measurement from C of head tube to C of seat clamp (top of seat tube) or to C of seat tube (at seat tube/ top tube junction)

Just had a look @ the Speci site and they don't state where it is to the just say "TT is measured horizontally from center of HT to center of ST" Which would be the extended length.

Sorry, I am sic need to help a brother out here... :imstupid:
C of HT to C of seat clamp would be just fine.

Thanks.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
... it is also dependant on how long you extend the seatpost...
I will agree with you that current roadie type measurements mean little for DH frames, But this is wrong. Efffective TT is the horizontal measurement from center of headtube to center of an imaginary extention of the seat tube. Has nothing to do with seat height.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
:ban: your house must really stink with all of the bull**** in it.
3000 miles is a bit much, but TheMontashu did 50+ runs in Downieville this year, probably 30 of them on those super light weight wheels.

That's over 400 miles on those wheels of his. Not too shabby. And Downieville is notorious for eating bike parts...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I am with you. I am sure he is a great guy but it comes down to your definition of DH. Downieville is raced py people on 6" bikes for god sake. We are not talking about the same thing here! A DH bike should be able to handle trail like Mt Snow NCS, Schweitzer NCS, No joke and others a full speed. I think that is why people jump on him. His bike is NOT downhill worthy by most people standard even though I am sure it is fine for Downieville.
Well, this is a funny one. This isn't Northstar, so you are not doing 10 foot hucks into a rock garden or 25 foot step downs.

On the other hand, in Downieville you are continually hitting rock ledges at 30+mph.

Would I recommend a 500 gram rim for repeated DH runs? No way. TheMontashu also got a pair of Outlaws (which held up for less than 2 months). And those 5.1d/Sapim's are still holding up after 1 season.

Oct 8, 2005
Mexico
But like the marketing they probably like that they dent instead of flatting,they get a new wheel everytime one comes back dented,at least for racing.
Bike products unfortunatelly are becoming much more race orientated,designed to get you down with nice lightness and efficiency but not designed to last. Good if you can afford it and are at the top and need that little bit extra but not good for the poor suckers that copy and idalise what the pros are running,you wouldn't expect a F1 car engine to last for long if you put it in your pick up.then there's the whole "but they're sponsered"argument ,but that's been flogged enough.Todays bikes and parts are still a step up from years gone by but they can go bigger/faster now so it's all relative.
You can acheive light and strong,but the balance is learnt by experience or listening to others experience(hard to trust),5.1s have bad reviews,I've not run them but I'd trust the reviews of some believable people on here to just stick with Mavic.
Sorry for the derailed rant.
from dirtmag
DSC00407.jpg