Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
egg beater dual Ti pedals
Dt 5.1 rims
Kenda nevegal 2.3/2.5 single plys with 1.2MM tubes
And there is a small chance I will get the 07 XTR cranks
How much do you weigh?
I don't know if you actually ride (or courses where you live are composed of rainbows and butterflies) but single ply tyres with thin tubes wouldn't hold up 1 run on most tracks here. Sounds like you've gone too far with the weight thing IMO - there are places you can safely save heaps of weight on a DH bike; but past a certain point, tyres isn't one of them. Not too sure about the eggbeater ti's either.... should you perhaps be in a different segment of MTB?

A.P

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
boston
I dont agree with the singleply tires unless you ran the at a super high pressure, which I guess is ok with some people. As for the straight egg-beaters, I rode regular time ATAC'S for almost a whole season of downhill including races completey fine. A friend gave me a set of z's and I dont think they are any more usefull with the cage.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
I dont agree with the singleply tires unless you ran the at a super high pressure, which I guess is ok with some people. As for the straight egg-beaters, I rode regular time ATAC'S for almost a whole season of downhill including races completey fine. A friend gave me a set of z's and I dont think they are any more usefull with the cage.
yes, but ti eggbeaters also have a weight limit according to the manufacturer. and this is for riding xc...

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
jsut get it over with and stick a SID on the front. Maybe a set of Marati Ti cranks, nukeproof hubs and something to hold your purse. Whats the point of taking a DH frame and dressing it with stupidly light parts that can't be used for the frames intended purpose? The art in light bikes is making them ridable while paring away everything unnecessary.

Or you could just do like me, and ride it no matter how heavy it is. Albeit, like a complete hack.

Its like talking with somebody that thinks a set of rims from Canadian tire and a picnic table on the hatchback makes thier 89 Civic a racing machine.

MorewoodKid

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
In the woods...
...Whats the point of taking a DH frame and dressing it with stupidly light parts that can't be used for the frames intended purpose? The art in light bikes is making them ridable while paring away everything unnecessary.
Take a look at the spec on the bike, there is nowhere where I have taken a risk to save weight. I have just spent a little time noting what is light and reliable, and put together a package that is both great looking, offers awesome performance and is super light weight.

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
Yea Dropmachine was talking about TheMontashu's bike not Andre's.
Yeah at least Andre uses 2 ply tires! Montashu guy uses 1 ply tires Who in his right mind uses 1 ply tires in DH? They just don't work. Sure they might be ok for a few runs but in the end you just can't bet a race run on them unless it is a very specific course or they just don't quite exist yet (thinking about BCD.s 29er)

Bearmntpicnic

Monkey
Oct 23, 2005
charlottesville
my commuter weighs under 12 pounds. as side note i think that most people should worry about dropping an extra 10 pounds or so rather than worrying about the pound or two on their bike. and Montashu running 1 ply is not a smart idea I would take the gram of weight your saving and put into the second ply.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
my commuter weighs under 12 pounds. as side note i think that most people should worry about dropping an extra 10 pounds or so rather than worrying about the pound or two on their bike. and Montashu running 1 ply is not a smart idea I would take the gram of weight your saving and put into the second ply.
But you see a 12 pound commuter isn't that crazy. A light frame and fork and some light wheels could easily build up into a 12 pound fixie. A 35 pound downhill bike is just plain unsafe, especially the parts he is using. Either this kid is not very fast or he doesn't actually ride the bike. Even a 130 pound rider that is moderately quick would destroy that bike no problem.

RD

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Boston, MA
But you see a 12 pound commuter isn't that crazy. A light frame and fork and some light wheels could easily build up into a 12 pound fixie. A 35 pound downhill bike is just plain unsafe, especially the parts he is using. Either this kid is not very fast or he doesn't actually ride the bike. Even a 130 pound rider that is moderately quick would destroy that bike no problem.

I wouldn't call a 35# Dh bike unsafe. I've 215# and have been having no problems.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
I wouldn't call a 35# Dh bike unsafe. I've 215# and have been having no problems.
I weigh 200 pounds and have problems breaking parts on my bike and am undoubtedly riding stronger parts than someone such as yourself with a 35 pound bike. I am by no means a hack. Honestly anyone who can ride a 35 pound DH bike is either the smoothest rider on the face of the planet or isn't riding rough trails. At this point in time you just cannot build a 35 pound DH bike that is strong enough to last even half a season.

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
bballe336, you are talking out of your ass, you could build a 35 pound dh rig without breaking ****
sam hill is riding on a 36 pound bike with no stupid parts,
peaty rode 223's that were prolly even less.

35# is the new 40# for dh bikes.

A.P

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
boston
I think you could build a 35-36lb downhill bike that would last for a season.

boxxer wc
regular isis bb
middleburn arms
sdg i-fly carbon
fox dhx, ti-spring
e13 lg1
7075 guide ring
I9's wheelset on ex721's
tubeless 2.3/2.2 tires
formula oro puro brake set
e13 ali stem
ea50 regular bars
dura-ace cassette
hollowpin chain
xo shifter, derailleur
american classic lite headset

this would be around 35 lbs and you could still go lighter with a dhx-air, ti sprindle bb, carbon bars and other stuff, im just trying to show that you dont even need the "sketchy" stuff to go that light. I dont think there is any part I listed that is not acceptable for downhill use, all are considerered regular although expensive parts.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
I think you could build a 35-36lb downhill bike that would last for a season.

boxxer wc
regular isis bb
middleburn arms
sdg i-fly carbon
fox dhx, ti-spring
e13 lg1
7075 guide ring
I9's wheelset on ex721's
tubeless 2.3/2.2 tires
formula oro puro brake set
e13 ali stem
ea50 regular bars
dura-ace cassette
hollowpin chain
xo shifter, derailleur
american classic lite headset

this would be around 35 lbs and you could still go lighter with a dhx-air, ti sprindle bb, carbon bars and other stuff, im just trying to show that you dont even need the "sketchy" stuff to go that light. I dont think there is any part I listed that is not acceptable for downhill use, all are considerered regular although expensive parts.
ISIS bottom brackets don't last me more than 4-5 days of downhill before I kill the bearings. I would bend the middleburn arms, snap the rails on an ifly carbon and easily kill 4-5 hollow pin chains in one season. I have already severly bent my ea50 bars as well. And a DHX air isn't rideable for any real DH. And there is no reasonable wheelset that you could build that would last a whole season. My wheelset lasted me a whole season only because the wheels are boat anchors.

I guess that if you are a real feather and incredibly smooth you could get away with a bike that light, but for a rider that actually rides the bike hard and is of normal stature you can't get a bike that light and make it last.

julian_dh- That is probably the WORST argument for light bikes I have ever heard. The reason pros bikes are that light is because every single part on those bikes is replaced very frequently. Please don't tell me you think Sam Hill rode an entire season on one set of DT 5.1d's.

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
bballe336,

I dont mean to call you out but if you say your not a hack and would easily break those things listed then I hate to break it to you. But your a hack. :)

Im 270lbs and hardly every brake anything. And this is from riding Bromont, racing every other weekend, Dirt jumping etc...

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
My bike weighs roughly 42-43 pounds, but I build it up on a budget and I am proud of it! :biggrin:

*New wheels being built up as we speak!

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
originally posted by dg video
I dont mean to call you out but if you say your not a hack and would easily break those things listed then I hate to break it to you. But your a hack.
bballe i am sorry man but i am gonna have to agree with dg on this one. for one i have been running the same isis bb in my sgs for 2 straight seasons and have had no problems what so ever with the bearings or the spindals. i personally dont have any experiance with any of the other mentioned parts, but i have numerous friends that run carbon i beam saddles and they have lasted longer than there frames have. i know numerous people that run hollowpin chains. yeh your prolly gonna break chains, but that is part of our sport so your gonna have to live with it no matter what chain you get. ohh and for the dhx air i do believe that some pros have acctually ridden them on dh courses. now granted they werent world courses or diablo, but they have been ran on dh bikes and seem to work quite well. although i dont have any experiance on them so i cant give an accurate review of how it would work im just going off what i have seen.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
ISIS bottom brackets don't last me more than 4-5 days of downhill before I kill the bearings. I would bend the middleburn arms, snap the rails on an ifly carbon and easily kill 4-5 hollow pin chains in one season. I have already severly bent my ea50 bars as well. And a DHX air isn't rideable for any real DH. And there is no reasonable wheelset that you could build that would last a whole season. My wheelset lasted me a whole season only because the wheels are boat anchors.

I guess that if you are a real feather and incredibly smooth you could get away with a bike that light, but for a rider that actually rides the bike hard and is of normal stature you can't get a bike that light and make it last.

julian_dh- That is probably the WORST argument for light bikes I have ever heard. The reason pros bikes are that light is because every single part on those bikes is replaced very frequently. Please don't tell me you think Sam Hill rode an entire season on one set of DT 5.1d's.

How did you bend those bars? Do you crash frequently. I don't see how those could bend and rails could snap w/o a bad crash (you don't do sit-down landers, do you? :D)

Bearmntpicnic

Monkey
Oct 23, 2005
charlottesville
270 pounds on a light bike thats a bit of an oxymoron. my bike 45+ but I like to stay and shape and save weight that way. its all personal though whatever make you faster.

MorewoodKid

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
In the woods...
Well we will see how things go next season. I don't think that I am taking any risks with the spec I am running. Sure rims will go through the year, and possibly the odd BB will get bent, but that is nothing out of the ordinary. Regardless of what you run, if you are racing at a pro/ semi pro level on the toughest courses out there you are going to break stuff. As far as the finished weight of our '07 team bikes, I would expect them to be a little heavier than the Shova LT showm in this post, the Izimu frame is about 100g heavier, and we will not run 2.35" on every course. Like I said right in the beginning, this was a bit of a project for me to see how light I could build a DH bike without compromising on strength or durability.

With the few parking lot rides I have done on the Shova LT (my wrist is broke so that is about all I can manage) I can say one thing for sure, and that is that the handling and acceleration of the bike is noticeably improved. With most of the weight being shed off the unsprung and rotational parts, you notice a huge difference in the manoeuvrability of the bike, and the acceleration. I obviously knew this would be true, but did not realise to what extent, it is truly unbelievable!

I think the lesson learnt here, for me anyway, is that with a good grounding, a bit of time and research a project like this is not only possible, but fairly easy, and the outcome is well worth the effort and expense. I will do the costing this week, but I do not think it cost too much; sure it is a pricy bike, there is no doubting that, but it is not ridiculously expensive as one would think, and with no "special, pro only" parts this is something anyone could do. There is not a single part on this bike that you can not buy from the regular sources, the frame is completely stock (and according to other manufacturers frame weight claims, not that light...) as is everything else that makes up the bike.

I will most likely race DH on this bike once I get it back from the Mags, and expect to compete in as many races in '07 as I get a chance to, including the NORBA Super D series. Though I may make a few changes and tweaks to the bike through the year (we will be testing some new odds and ends) I do not expect anything too drastic. I will definitely keep my findings and results posted, so check the forum's for updates, and check out Decline sometime in the not too distant future for the review.

See ya at the races!

:monkeydance:

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
bballe336,

I dont mean to call you out but if you say your not a hack and would easily break those things listed then I hate to break it to you. But your a hack. :)

Im 270lbs and hardly every brake anything. And this is from riding Bromont, racing every other weekend, Dirt jumping etc...
ISIS BB's are weak. Either way you look at it the bearings are tiny and they break easily. I have a low BB and like to pedal, **** breaks. Also I don't sit down while I ride but if you do hit a landing hard and get slammed those seats will break. And when you smack pedals into the ground your cranks get bent, middleburns aren't any stronger than anything else. Basically ISIS is useless for downhill and anyone still running it needs to look into upgrading to an external setup.

trumbullrider

Monkey
Dec 12, 2005
CT
ISIS BB's are weak. Either way you look at it the bearings are tiny and they break easily. I have a low BB and like to pedal, **** breaks. Also I don't sit down while I ride but if you do hit a landing hard and get slammed those seats will break. And when you smack pedals into the ground your cranks get bent, middleburns aren't any stronger than anything else. Basically ISIS is useless for downhill and anyone still running it needs to look into upgrading to an external setup.
I have ridden 35+ days on real DH at a ski resort, all on the same isis bb, never had a problem.

trumbullrider

Monkey
Dec 12, 2005
CT
270 pounds on a light bike thats a bit of an oxymoron. my bike 45+ but I like to stay and shape and save weight that way. its all personal though whatever make you faster.
Dg is smooth as butta though. If you have seen him ride, you might be surprsied. He could get away with it.

MorewoodKid

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
In the woods...
I don't want to discredit you, I am sure your experiences and statements are all valid, but in my experience with ISIS (I ran a few under our pro riders this season: Jonty Neethling, Cole Bangert and Geritt Beytagh) they are still pretty impressive. Sure the bearings are crap, and last only a few months if you are riding regularly, and the axles have been known to bend, but in my experience they are no worse than the Howitzer/ external BB setup.

I know it doesn't make sense from an engineering point of view, but I have had no better luck with the external style BB/ Crank setup. The bearings in the Howitzers lasted no longer than the bearings in the ISIS, and believe it or not we bent more Howitzer axles than we did ISIS.

:huh:

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
Basically everyone I know ran ISIS BB's on their big bikes all this last summer, without a problem. This also included 8 days in Whistler, 4 DH races, and countless other amounts ot riding.

Speak for yourself, don't make blanket statements like that.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
I think he rides.....but he definatly is not fast.

MorewoodKid

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
In the woods...
But it IS possible to build a safe 36lb DH bike! Take a look at the spec I attached earlier in this post and let me know if there is anything that is "unsafe"?
The whole purpose of this thread was to prove just that, that this is possible, and infact has just been done!

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
But it IS possible to build a safe 36lb DH bike! Take a look at the spec I attached earlier in this post and let me know if there is anything that is "unsafe"?
The whole purpose of this thread was to prove just that, that this is possible, and infact has just been done!
Your bike is Ill, I would ride it anyday of the season.

TM on the other hand.....Well he is a retard

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Believe it or not in the big Weight Weenie thread, V 1.1 about a year ago, he showed a pic of his V-10 on a digi scale and it was confirmed, that his ride is the real deal. He's got Ti everything, Sapim bladed spokes, UST tubeless, Boxxer Air WC... it's nuts.

How he can race it DH without it disintigrating is beyond me....:biggrin:
A guy who works at his shop called him out on faking the weight by hoisting the front wheel...Sanjuro to TM being a retard, pls.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Ok, well your bike is 36 pounds, I would change a few things but it seems very reasonable. The Montashu's bike is stupid, he started with a heavier frame than you did and put on parts that would scare most XC racers.

I seem to have lots of trouble with ISIS bottom brackets. I broke 5 the first season I rode DH and broke 2 this season on my trailbike. My external BB is pretty much dead but still rideable. Although I twisted my external crank arms up and bent them out.

And I realize I can't snap the rails on an ifly, I can however crack the rail.