Quantcast

Well it has begun!!!!

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
I went for a six mile Urban assault course here locally.....I faired pretty well........

Made the climbs pretty decently......................

I need an idea as far as a diet during the day. Just enough carbs to give me energy, but not overboard as well. Any suggestions would be appreciated!!!!!

Felt great to be on a bike again!!!

ATXjimATX

the artist formerly known as OldDickDynamite
Oct 4, 2001
Austin, TEXAS
i dunno, i would say try getting the bulk of your carbs in by your mid day meal.
learn to love tuna fish.
another really good way to up your fat burning potential is to get up in the morning, drink some water and go do some cardio before you eat or drink anything else. in the morning, the glycogen stores in your muscles are gonna be kinda depleted; so when your body looks for fuel it will look to the fat much sooner than it would otherwise.
get a heart rate monitor and use it.
drink lots and lots of water.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Originally posted by ATXjimATX
i dunno, i would say try getting the bulk of your carbs in by your mid day meal.
learn to love tuna fish.
another really good way to up your fat burning potential is to get up in the morning, drink some water and go do some cardio before you eat or drink anything else. in the morning, the glycogen stores in your muscles are gonna be kinda depleted; so when your body looks for fuel it will look to the fat much sooner than it would otherwise.
get a heart rate monitor and use it.
drink lots and lots of water.
I kind thought the morning wouldbe better. Now, Is it better then, or the last thing at night....?

The first thing in the Morning sounds like a good theory!!

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Ralph, I personally try to get all my carbs in before 3:00 PM. Carbs that are consumed and not used turned to fat. For a before-dinner snack, you're better off with a high-protein, low carb food, such as a shake, chicken, fish, or protein bar.

No need to go crazy consuming carbs all day on days that you ride at night. For any ride under 10 miles, you are probably eating plenty of carbs with your normal diet (veggies, fruits, a bagel, etc).

Jim is right about water. If you are not pissing every 45 minutes, you are not drinking enough. Drinking lots of water keeps you hydrated, helps digest your food faster, helps carry nutrients to the rest of your body, and helps your body dispose of waste much faster. I drink about a gallon a day.

ATXjimATX

the artist formerly known as OldDickDynamite
Oct 4, 2001
Austin, TEXAS
Originally posted by sirknight6

I kind thought the morning wouldbe better. Now, Is it better then, or the last thing at night....?

The first thing in the Morning sounds like a good theory!!
well, something i was told recently, is that probably the next best time to get in cardio is after doing weight training, as it will deplete your muscular glycogen stores as well, to some degree.

also-- weight training can be as beneficial as cardio (although probably best in some combination) it will keep your metabolism operating at a higher rate for longer after you workout than cardio will. it can also tip the balance so that you can retain more muscle while losing weight, which is nice.

ps. on the water thing, drink it COLD!!! Your body will burn extra calories warming it up to body temp so you can process it.
every little bit helps.

Agree w/ATXjimATX.....if you glug down some water in the morn and then do cardio your body will switch to burning the fat much sooner because your body has converted all the glucose in the food you eat to glycogen, and by that time you should have digested all the food you ate the night before. So it then burns fat.

At night is the second best time if you can't run in the morning, and of course it's best if you don't eat after you do cardio at night, because it sorta does the same thing....your body is digesting the food you ate last meal, and once the food is gone, it switches to fat....and the fact that you just ran/biked/whatever means the conversion process is kicked into high gear.