Quantcast

Well still not able to beat the sandbaggers

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
But i did all right i got 9th. the course was brutal and i did a lot of things wrong (wore my hrm and forgot to take tums before hand) i totally bonked towards the end but was able to maintain to the finish.
i had a different approach to this was as opposed to last. I was towards the back of the pack on the start so as not to blow myself up on the start. I almost immediately caught up to the pack because there was a technical spot leading into the singletrac. Pushed a little hard and caught about 5 or 6 people and never got passed by anyone in my class on the course.
the cool thing is this was an AMBC race so i get more points for it.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Originally posted by Heidi
Why did you bonk?
2 reasons. Back and stomach problems and i was totally maxed out the whole race probably because i have had a cold/respiratory infection for the last 2 weeks. (oh that might have been three)
I need to leave the HR at the hotel because the strap restricts my breathing but I averaged 189bpms for the 55 minutes I was out there
:eek:

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by The Toninator

2 reasons. Back and stomach problems and i was totally maxed out the whole race probably because i have had a cold/respiratory infection for the last 2 weeks. (oh that might have been three)
I need to leave the HR at the hotel because the strap restricts my breathing but I averaged 189bpms for the 55 minutes I was out there
:eek:
Yah, being sick does weird stuff to your HR. I don't even wear mine in races anymore - unless it's a long one where I want to stay below a certain level.

So you're still having back problems?:(

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Was this on a new course Ton? Have you been able to compare your times to other people you have been racing against for the season? I mean, yah, there are always going to be people sandbagging and maybe you never win, but are you staying close to the same people everytime?

Is this making sense?

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Was this on a new course Ton? Have you been able to compare your times to other people you have been racing against for the season? I mean, yah, there are always going to be people sandbagging and maybe you never win, but are you staying close to the same people everytime?

Is this making sense?
Yes makes sense. Only the second race of this season but biased on the times last year, including mine i could have netted 6th. I improved almost 3 full minutes.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon

Yes makes sense. Only the second race of this season but biased on the times last year, including mine i could have netted 6th. I improved almost 3 full minutes.
Shoot, that's awesome Ton! You just have to look at this in perspective. Congrats dude! Keep up the training, honest, it pays off.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
I hate sandbaggers!!!

THe guy who took first in my category not only won there but beat every single other beginner.

still got fifth through a broken bike and a cold though.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Originally posted by pat873401
I hate sandbaggers!!!

THe guy who took first in my category not only won there but beat every single other beginner.

still got fifth through a broken bike and a cold though.
dude you broke another ****ing bike?

congrats on the finish.

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore

dude you broke another ****ing bike?

congrats on the finish.
thanks.

yeah. very minor though, front shifter housing got caught on the screw for the stem and was about to bust through, rear derailleur busted through 20 min before the race when i was making sure everything was working.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
So what is definition of a sand bagger? I hope it's just not anyone that beat you? These sandbaggers, were their lap times faster than the sport guys?

As for me, I raced beg 35-44 last Sunday at Hunter Mtn in NY, came in 3rd and got 2nd overall for the 3 race series > does that make me a sandbagger?

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
Originally posted by douglas
So what is definition of a sand bagger? I hope it's just not anyone that beat you? These sandbaggers, were their lap times faster than the sport guys?

As for me, I raced beg 35-44 last Sunday at Hunter Mtn in NY, came in 3rd and got 2nd overall for the 3 race series > does that make me a sandbagger?
a sandbagger is someone who races a class or more lower than they should (ex: expert racing beginner,etc.) a big problem in racing

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon

Hey Douglas - first of all, congrat on you race, that's great! NO, winning does not mean you are a sandbagger, unless like you ponted out, it is possible that race after race you could get a high placing in the category above you. Now, if your times in the 3 race series were fast enough for you to place in, say, the top part of sport 35-44, then perhaps you never really belonged racing in beginner.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Heidi,

thanks !

and the race i do have times for...beg did 2 laps, sport 3...... even IF I could have stayed at my same pace for another lap I would have came in last in sport.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
As per NORBA:

2.0 CATEGORY UPGRADING
2.1 Riders may advance as quickly as they wish. Riders who feel they can start racing in the Expert category
are welcome to do so. However, once a rider is classified, he or she will not be permitted to downgrade to a
less difficult category. The upgrading of categories will be noted on the racing license by NORBA. The
NORBA Official at the event may upgrade a rider to Sport or Expert by using a hole punch in the appropriate
box on the license. The official will then contact the NORBA office to record the change. A rider may also
contact the NORBA office to change his/her category. This can be done by email or letter. There cannot be
more then one-category difference between disciplines, except for Observed Trials. A rider may petition the
NORBA Office through written request to hold more then a one category difference.

2.2 Beginner racers must move to their appropriate Sport categories after placing in the top five in five races
(see 2.4 for specifics). Failure to do so may result in license suspension. If you participate in a state or
regional series these upgrading procedures still apply. You may contact the NORBA Office for a written
waiver to this policy that will allow you to finish a series in your original category for a title. A rider who
requests a wavier must have written approval from series director.

2.3 A Sport rider must advance to Expert after five top five Sport category finishes (see 2.4 for specifics).
Failure to do so may result in license suspension. If you participate in a state or regional series these
upgrading procedures still apply. You may contact the NORBA Office for a waiver to this policy that will allow
you to finish a in your original category series for a title. A rider who requests a wavier must have written
approval from series director.

2.4 For upgrading purposes, classes must consist of the following competitors:
Class Men Women
Senior 20 15
Master age 30-39 20 15
Master age 40-49 15 10
Master age 50+ 5 5

In those classes that require a minimum of ten competitors, the top three in the class are counted for
upgrading. In those classes that require five, the top finisher will be counted for upgrading. If an individual
feels that they are being required to upgrade to rapidly, they may request, in writing, a wavier for one year
from NORBA.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
everyone had spot on defs, but yes pretty much any body that beats me is a sandbagger:rolleyes:

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Heidi,

thanks !

and the race i do have times for...beg did 2 laps, sport 3...... even IF I could have stayed at my same pace for another lap I would have came in last in sport.
Hehehe, well then you can be absolutely sure you are NOT a sandbagger!;) Again though, congrats on the good placings! Will you move up next year to sport? Here if you podium in your class you are pretty much expected to move up and accept your ass whoopin. Hey, with some offseason training you can probably easily move up to mid pack sport.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
woah check this out. the course was really muddy early when the sport racers went out. I counted 11 broke rear derailluers just in 3 sport class starts then i quit watching. Moment of silence for the fallen please......
Then later when we went off the course was tacky and fast not a spot of mud was left. Ah texas got to love it

Men Sport Master 30-34
PLACE NAME TIME LICENSE BIB TEAM
001 Mike Gilheany 02:07:12.000 B0188577 299 Adventure Sport of Lubbock
002 Kevin Holubar 02:09:23.000 B0185760 289 Wheels and Fitness in Motion
003 Brien Gonzales 02:09:55.000 B0013607 296 Wheelss N Motion/ Team Knucklehead
004 Robert Delgado 02:14:41.000 B0159843 294 Rideaway Bicycles
005 William C. Mize 02:14:57.000 0 274 STORM
006 Garth Mccann 02:16:29.000 B0128178 283 BIKESPORT
007 Jonas Rullo 02:22:55.000 B0165416 276
008 Keith Couch 02:28:56.000 0 288 Hill Country
009 David Randolph 02:30:54.000 b0178652 277
010 Sean Knox 02:54:40.000 B0155447 297 Bucks Bikes/Team XXtream
DNF Dustin Barton 0 285
DNF Bryan Davis 0 290 Team Paul Mitchell
DNF Karl Griswold 0 271 Chipotle
DNF Chris Holmes 0 282 K2
DNF Craig Irwin 0 292 Happy Hill Farms
DNF Kevin Leger 0 275 UYS
DNF Bryan McDaniel 0 286
DNF Anton Ordoveza 0 293 www.OrthopedicStore.com/Team Dog Fish
DNF Chad Symcox 0 291
DNF Adam Zimmerer 0 298
DNF Stephen Kellicker B0127514 273 REI Austin Cycling Team
DNF Nelson Morales B0157494 279 WestSide Schwinn
DNF James Ellis B016061 295 Pedalmasher.com
DNF Clyde E. Stafford B0165289 280 Wheels and Fitness in Motion/K2
DNF John Rigdon B0166741 281 Westside Schwinn
DNF Tim Woodruff B0168509 284 CHAMPIONS CYCLERY
DNF Brian Boyd B0169631 287 Southwest Golf and Sport
DNF Jorge Rico B0185744 272
DNF Troy Owens B0188534 278 Texas Flyers

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride

Hehehe, well then you can be absolutely sure you are NOT a sandbagger!;) Again though, congrats on the good placings! Will you move up next year to sport? Here if you podium in your class you are pretty much expected to move up and accept your ass whoopin. Hey, with some offseason training you can probably easily move up to mid pack sport.

Well, I do race sport DH...........but sport XC?, have to see how my training goes over the winter. Also, this was the 1st year for the series I raced so the competition wasn't as tough as other XC races in the nearby (sorta) areas. The last race (I got 3rd by 23 sec's) was a blast.......all 7 in my class finished withing 6 minutes of each other!
and thanks again!

Chris01

Chimp
Aug 13, 2002
Dallas Area
Yea, Ton, not sure if I am glad I didn't do this one or not... Had I been able to just finish, it would have been enough to move into the top ten. Then again, the conditions during the sport race look like they were just brutal.

Don't let the ninth finish bug you... just get out and train, train, train... are you doing your intervals? Keep building right through the season and into the winter... take the spring series and enjoy the podium!!!

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Originally posted by Chris01
Yea, Ton, not sure if I am glad I didn't do this one or not... Had I been able to just finish, it would have been enough to move into the top ten. Then again, the conditions during the sport race look like they were just brutal.

Don't let the ninth finish bug you... just get out and train, train, train... are you doing your intervals? Keep building right through the season and into the winter... take the spring series and enjoy the podium!!!
i was doing intervals twice a week but now with the weather and me being sick i'm lucky to be on the bike twice a week. We'll see how it goes.
You did not miss anything. i would not have raced sport had i the ability to see what i saw. it was pure carnage. on the other hand the kids did have a good time in the mosh pits: