Quantcast

Western Spirt N. Rim (part 1?)

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
I say "Part 1?" because between the two of us we have nearly 900 photos and I've only sorted the majority of mine which are only ~200. If I have the gumption, I'll post the more interesting ones. If I had to come up with some dislikes I'd say don't bring your nicest set of cranks because the Western Spirit van rack holds your bike by the crank arm in a steel channel. Thicker XT and XTR cranks don't fit so well and get a bit chewed up. Also, as I've mentioned before, the confirmation packet tells you to tip your guides. Which I find offensive.

So we took off from the Emerald City at 7:30 am with the last stop out of town being Safeway since Western Spirit is BYOB and I don't trust Utah for beer or the hours it's for sale. That turned out to be unfounded since one of the stops the guides made on the way out to the canyon sold full cases of Dead Guy. Live and learn.
We drove straight to SLC to stay with some gracious friends after 13 hours on the road. Day two was much more relaxed with a drive over American Fork to have breakfast at Sundance with said friends and a few more. On the way into the restaurant we saw Alan Greenspan and Andrea Mitchell having coffee on the boardwalk. I figured that guy might have secret service people all around him but I didn't see a soul.

325 miles later we were in St. George and settled in for a couple nights to recover from the drive. The next morning we took in some of Zion Nat'l Park and hiked Angel's Landing.

I'm told they call that a "hog's back". It's a couple miles up a steepish, mostly paved trail and then .5 mile over the hog's back. This last .5 mile takes over an hour. 8-10 feet wide in places with ~1,000 straight down drop-offs on either side. Makes for some interesting hiking in many ways....

That's a 'must do' hike in my book and Zion is a 'must do' Nat'l Park.

The next 5 days we were coddled by our Western Spirit guides, Simon and Meagan. 6 other guests and 2 guide trainees filled the van to an almost uncomfortable 12.

This trip was well described on their website as recommend for couples with an imbalance of skillsets. I didn't go into this thinking of it as a riding vacation but rather to see the Grand Canyon with some riding thrown in. While the riding was a bit challenging being at ~8000 feet most of the time, and I can't say it was the most spectacular riding I've done, I still had a blast. Two highlights were coming up on what appeared to be a wild herd of bison

and riding the Rainbow Rim trail with parts of the trail coming close enough to the edge that it was easy to mentally go through landing a drop...

The main goal of the trip was simply to see the Canyon with my ulterior motive being to try and get my better half hooked on mt. bike trips. I succeeded in both.
One thing I'd change is that I'd bring more booze. You may have read about Simon in the most recent issue of Bike magazine. He and Meagan dragged those poor folks on parts of the same trip we did and they describe him as a "World Class Drinker". I can't say I witnessed this but the stories told in the mag and on the trip suggest a bottle of Anejo would have been a welcome addition to the booze stores. We had enough beer but the riding was easy enough and the evenings social enough that it would have been nice not having to ration the ale.

It's really nice to not even have to think about possibly being hungry. The first day we rode 5 miles and came upon lunch and chairs

Then we rode another 7 miles and came upon chairs, beer and dinner and pretty much repeated that the next 4 days.
Here's some of my favorite shots so far. I'm still learning photoshop so go easy on me.

View from camp:

On the last day before driving back to St. George, the group took off to ride the south part of the Rainbow Rim trail which I'd ridden the evening before. I decided to stay back, enjoy my coffee, watch the world go by and screw around with the 300mm zoom

A couple things I learned on this trip were that tequila is full of electrolytes and I might need a bigger frame

Last but not least, a sunset montage as seen from our last two nights in camp

We rounded out the trip with a zip over to Bryce,

camping and riding at Brianhead

and a couple days in Walla Walla wine country at the corporate headquarters of www.manninacellars.com

It was a good trip. It just didn't last long enough.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Cool report. The wife and I have been thinking about doing a Western Spirit trip for a while now. Good to hear about one from someone who's actually been! Thanks!!

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Glad it went well and it sounds like the "ulterior motive" was accomplished. If I could only get my Heidi to do that too...
I've thought about doing a WS ride someday when I feel really lazy and want to be pampered.
How was the grub?

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
Glad it went well and it sounds like the "ulterior motive" was accomplished. If I could only get my Heidi to do that too...
I've thought about doing a WS ride someday when I feel really lazy and want to be pampered.
How was the grub?
I wouldn't say lazy plays into the decision. With all the hiking and 5 days living ~8000' higher than I usually do I felt like I was getting a good workout everyday with the exception of the last day with W. Spirit. Sitting in the stillness of the morning, watching the sun finish coming up was priceless though.
I'd give the food a 7/10. The breakfasts were good, lunches great and dinners were mostly good. I'm a food snob though and that is just an average to make things easier. The first night was heaven with grilled salmon, pesto penne, killer salad and dessert (pound cake and fruit).
The last night was fajitas and the steak was more like chewing on an innertube. Inedible in my book. In their defense, there isn't a Whole Foods in St. George and the guides probably had Sunday evening to shop for the trip. Utah's shopping hours and options are horrible, esp. on Sunday in smaller towns so the food will probably vary depending on where the trip is based.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
It works really well.
I only use it for local transport though. Bikes are in the back on long trips for protection and that extra bit of fuel mileage.
It's my own design using some Boeing Surplus extrusion, SS tubing and marine fittings with a couple 'off-the-shelf' bike rack parts.

Patent pending and I'm currently the only authorized dealer. :greedy:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Great write up man. Sounds like an awesome trip, got some great shots. Your photoshop work is just fine, i've seen some pretty choppy work myself included haha...

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
Sounds like a perfect (almost) trip. The Grand Canyon is on my list of places to visit before they plant me.
Don't wait. Just go. It's definitely something I need to go see again. Next time I might organize my own trip to see and ride some of the same stuff we did on this trip and add some extras or do just a hiking trip with the Havasupai. The old North Rim Lodge was pretty sweet so I'd like to stay there a couple nights. Some of the cabins are right at the canyon's edge.
http://www.grandcanyonnorthrim.com/Gallery-563.html

If I were to do another guided trip, I might look into www.magpieadventures.com
They have the same trip at the same price with two attractive changes: one night is spent in the Kaibab Lodge just outside the park and the food is all organic.