Quantcast

What a Day

dhchix

Chimp
Mar 26, 2006
NC
So, how many of you have a had day when you wake up feeling like blah and everything you have planned for the day seems like a chore. My husband and I went to our local trails today to ride and I was hoping it would make me feel better. Well, it didn't. I struggled the entire ride. I could not get it together today. I was short of breath feeling like my airway was going to close together and my muscles struggled to push the pedals. I wasn't even riding that hard. :banghead: I felt like I was going to shut down. I hate this feeling because I know where my body can take me but it just wasn't going there today. Why Oh Why I Wonder. Has anyone else ever had a day like this?

Thanks.

RideHard

Monkey
Apr 4, 2005
I know what you mean, however usually riding loosens me up after a hard day. We had some really bad weather today, so we had a pretty rad sesh at our indoor skate park, it was epic to say the least.

Tomorrow will be a better day, just keep on pushing through and things will work out.

VT Mtbkr

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Richmond, Virginia
Yep. Been there done that. I usually find that if I get up and feel blah then I either bag my riding plans for fear of having a terrible riding experiance or I go out anyway and it end up having a extra-ordinary ride. Sounds like you should have gone with my option 1. Wish there was some way to know before-hand which option to choose.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
hey dhchix, i totally feel for you.
last weekend i had the most killer weekend of riding. i was riding fast and hitting this i normally go around. and then this weekend i climbed like an asthmatic and crashed FOUR times off a jump i normally have down. bummer when this happens at the end of the season.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I definitely know how you feel. About two weeks I woke up felling blah, but we were planning a ride so I tried to suck it up. I started out well and then, went OTB (funny crash) but after that, I was a little off. Next thing I know, I crash hard hard in a spot that I haven't crashed at in a long while. Definitely made the rest of my ride suck and I am still a little sore where the bars hit me. :( I am still not really sure what happened.

A lot of times I can just go out and ride and that makes my day better, but not that day.

dhchix

Chimp
Mar 26, 2006
NC
Thanks for sharing your stories with me. I fine the Mud Hunnies to be very supportive. Thank You.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
i feel like most of us experience the same issues.

alot us have mental blocks from time to time.

it's hard to explain to the guys i ride with. yesterday i was complaining that the problem with my riding is that it is really incosistent. as in some days i'm totally on and other days my riding sucks. my husband's advice???
'you should try to ride more consistent.'

soooo helpful.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
my husband's advice???
'you should try to ride more consistent.'

soooo helpful.
:banghead: Men, you gotta love them.

I've had days like that too... I trail I can ride totally clean on one day, then I go back a week later and you'd think I'd never been on singletrack before. I try to blame it on hormones. I am convinced there is a cycle phase that makes you really clutzy.

gg

thePINKster

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
bay area, Cali
i know what you mean about bad days...

today was one. i'm 17, and REALLY dedicated to bikes and my racing. About a month ago my dad threatened to lock up the bikes for the rest of the year over not babysitting my brother for the night. I was heartbroken.

then I called him this morning asking him when he would unlock the bikes because i missed it so much. I figured he would've been,"I hope you learned your lesson" but he said, "well, till the end of the year". I couldn't believe it.

so then today i completely made my walls bare. Posters of April Lawyer and Jill Kintner that used to be oh so inspiring made me completely depressed. I took down all of my medals, all my trophies, all my winners jerseys, even my worlds numberplate and skinsuit. I figured it was the end of biking for me, because if my parents keep threatening to take away the thing in my life that i feel like i belong in, i cant bear to have it threatened over and over again. Especially now that i cant ride until 2007. It is completely depressing, but it was all i could do at the moment.

it started out as a bad day, just gets worse. sorry to hear about yours, cuz they really suck. hope your happier now in hindsight.

best of luck to you
-chrissie

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
i was a bad kid when i was your age and would get grounded alot. and back then time seemed to go by so much slower. like being grounded for a month seemed like an eternity. i feel for you.

but 2007 will be here in no time. have you thought about taking the next 2 months to cross train, get in shape, and set some goals for the next season? make the most of it. 2 months isn't all that long considering how much time people must take off at times with major injuries.

cheer up chrissie!

Y

yadadada

not a bad day, a bad week....

so this last week has been kinda crappy... I had car problems and had to get work done (with money this grad student doens't have). Then I had a 15 page paper due, and at the "end" realized that I had missed a big section of it... an hour before class! Then I had a stomach bug for about a day or so, followed by an early appointment to get my wisdom teeth pulled out. With no sedation, just local anesthetic. And with even more money that this grad student doesn't have. And now, I'm in pain, and the chocolate chip cookies on the counter are mocking me because they know I can't eat hard food for two days.

Anyways... I'll live... at least I only have to have the wisdom teeth out once, cause this isn't at all fun!

dhchix

Chimp
Mar 26, 2006
NC
Chrissie,
I'm sorry to hear about your biking situtation. You should put those posters back on the wall and get thoses medals, trophies, winners jerseys, worlds numberplate and skinsuit put back in there proper place. You earned those things by being the best and you should keep them displayed no matter what your parents do. Use those things to keep you motivated during this time and to keep your focus on the things to come in 2007. I think Amydalayna had some good suggestions. Use this time do rejuvenate the mind and body.
Things will get better. Good Luck.

dhchix

Chimp
Mar 26, 2006
NC
not a bad day, a bad week....

so this last week has been kinda crappy... I had car problems and had to get work done (with money this grad student doens't have).

Don't feel bad because I'm having car problems too. It started Saturday when the heater on my car stopped working (it was a cold day). My husband and I continued our day as usual and on the way home I noticed the thermostat guage was maxed out. I yelled out to my husband "Oh my god the car is over heating". Luckily, we were close to a Subaru dealership so I left my car there and called them first thing Monday asked them to look at my car. Later that day, the dealership called me back to inform me the head gaskets had leaked coolant and now I have to have them replaced. It is going to cost me a few thousand to fix. Money I don't have. Talk about being VERY FRUSTRATED.:rant: Oh well, Sh%! happens.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
i was a bad kid when i was your age and would get grounded alot. and back then time seemed to go by so much slower. like being grounded for a month seemed like an eternity. i feel for you.

but 2007 will be here in no time. have you thought about taking the next 2 months to cross train, get in shape, and set some goals for the next season? make the most of it. 2 months isn't all that long considering how much time people must take off at times with major injuries.

cheer up chrissie!
Chrissie - I would agree with AmyD. Use this time to cross train and work on some core body strength. Get those posters back up on the walls and use them for motivation. Your 2 months will be over sooner than you think!

goodtobeIrie

Monkey
Aug 25, 2004
nor cal
Chrissie - I would agree with AmyD. Use this time to cross train and work on some core body strength. Get those posters back up on the walls and use them for motivation. Your 2 months will be over sooner than you think!

not to mention the time off the bike will get your "fire burning" for riding harder when you do get your bike back...and it'll end up saving you from biking burnout before the race season even begins...

thePINKster

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
bay area, Cali
not to mention the time off the bike will get your "fire burning" for riding harder when you do get your bike back...and it'll end up saving you from biking burnout before the race season even begins...
tis true...

well goodnews for me. i sucked up majorly and pulled of being able to ride if i did chores everyday for a long while. so, let's just say it's riding day for me!!!!