Quantcast

What airline's best for shipping bike?

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Hey guys, I need some help.

I am planning my trip to Whistler but sending the bike with me seems like a costly idea. If I read the print right, it'll cost like......$100+ each way. That seems high but that is what it seems most airlines charge for this.

Which airlines aren't expensive or bikes can fly free as part of luggage because at this rate this is going to be an expensive trip or I'll be taking apart the whole thing smaller than a Trico case can hold.

Please let me know, I bet it can help alot more :monkey:'s then just me

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by Spunger
Hey guys, I need some help.

I am planning my trip to Whistler but sending the bike with me seems like a costly idea. If I read the print right, it'll cost like......$100+ each way. That seems high but that is what it seems most airlines charge for this.

Which airlines aren't expensive or bikes can fly free as part of luggage because at this rate this is going to be an expensive trip or I'll be taking apart the whole thing smaller than a Trico case can hold.

Please let me know, I bet it can help alot more :monkey:'s then just me
Here's a tip.

If you join USA cycling right now, you get two FREE bike airline passes on American airlines. The USA Cycling thing is only $50 , so at the very minimum you'll be saving $150, plus you wont have to sign up for day memberships at races anymore.

:)

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I plan to fly with Zoom airlines (some transatlantic budget airline) from london to vancouver and from what I can gather bikes go free, but are counted towards your baggage allowance.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
If you join IMBA (which as a Mountain Biker you should ANYWAY) and you book through their Travel Agency your bike flies for free.* On selected flights of course. I had a great experience flying to and from Ft Lauderdale on Frontier booked through IMBA

Good luck.

dirtdevil

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
Coto de Caza
I travel quite often and I have never paid for my bike to be shipped. I have a huge gear bag that fits my bike. When asked by the airline what is in the bag I just tell them that it is "bicycle parts". Don't let them know that there is a complete bike in there cause they can and will charge you up the ass. Airlines are scandilous and they will try and pull every penny they can out of your pocket.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Originally posted by - seb
I plan to fly with Zoom airlines (some transatlantic budget airline) from london to vancouver and from what I can gather bikes go free, but are counted towards your baggage allowance.
Seb mate, bit of free advice for what it's worth;) :) Get to the airport early and tell them straight away that your bags are overweight and then grovel. Worked for me.:) No excess buggage fee.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Originally posted by valve bouncer
Seb mate, bit of free advice for what it's worth;) :) Get to the airport early and tell them straight away that your bags are overweight and then grovel. Worked for me.:) No excess buggage fee.
Yeah, I do that every year when I fly out to the alps. Always works in London, but on the return flight they pretty much always sting us in Geneva.