Quantcast

What are some good protein/supplments to take?

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Hey guys.

I've got my diet under control and want to loose some more weight AND gain some more muscle. I have a treadmill and weights (bench set & dumbell set) and this is what I figured out about my diet.

I don't get enough protein, no matter what I choose and eat I don't seem to get enough.

So I wanted to look into a protein bar/shake that doesn't taste like cardboard (I'd prefer a drink) and be able to take that as a supplement to my diet for more protein since I'll be lift weights as well as running. Any suggestions on good quality protien powder mixes that taste ok?

I've lost about 10lbs and would like to go down atleast another 20-25 but at the same time gain some muscle as well. Any other good supplements to take that aid in muscle growth/weight loss?

Any tips or suggestions would be great :)

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
I haven't really tried a variety of things, but IMO any protein summplement you buy is going to taste like cardboard. That said, just find a choco flavor one and low fat milk. It doesn't taste great, but after a workout you can choke one down. Protein bars aren't worth the money, but MetRX bars taste pretty good. Power bar sucks, don't bother. Really I'd say a protein shake a day, fridge full of low fat yogurt, boneless/skinless chicken breast or thighs, eggs, pasta, fresh veggies, cheese, and some ice cream for sweets cravings. Oh and peanut butter and wheat bread or oatmeal for breakfast. Couscous has a good amount of protein and is good for you, easy to cook. If you eat correctly you don't need those protein shakes, they are most useful IMO because of the concentrated calories.

The Ito

Aug 24, 2004
I always recommend Pro Complex by Optimum Nutrition. It has about 50 g of protein and only about 4 carbs per two scoop serving (you could always cut it in half if your protein needs arn't that high). It has the best amino acid profile of just about any powder protein out there. You can get a 5lb. tub from www.dpsnutrition.com for around $40, thats about half of what you would pay at GNC.

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
MorphineFreak said:
I always recommend Pro Complex by Optimum Nutrition. It has about 50 g of protein and only about 4 carbs per two scoop serving (you could always cut it in half if your protein needs arn't that high). It has the best amino acid profile of just about any powder protein out there. You can get a 5lb. tub from www.dpsnutrition.com for around $40, thats about half of what you would pay at GNC.
LOL good gawd that is a high ammount of protein. That's what I was looking for, something with a high amount if I am going to be working out. I might have to order some of this and give it a shot.

I'm workin on the chicken, cheese, veggies etc....... I just need something to supplement my protein.......this might be it :)

jmvar

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
"It was a funny angle!"
Canned tuna. has a lot of protein (I think like 20-30g per can), cheap, and it tastes good.

Comes canned in oil or water. I usually use the oiled one for salads as a topping and the one in water for tuna salad sandwiches mixed with avocados instead of mayo.

I know some people can't stand the taste or smell so you might have to find another source.

If you go the powder route, don't buy the 40 servings bucket without trying it first. Some proteins can be harsh on your stomach so make sure you can digest it ok before spending the money on a big tub of the stuff.

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
What is it with cheese? I love cheese but I didn't think it was good for you if you were on a diet due to it's fat content etc...???

I wish I could eat Tuna but it reminds me too much of cat food. My girlfriend loves the stuff, I can't stand it :(

Thanks for the tips guys. I agree with trying the powder out before jumping into it, because if it's nasty you just pissed away $30 on powder.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
ito said:
I haven't really tried a variety of things, but IMO any protein summplement you buy is going to taste like cardboard. That said, just find a choco flavor one and low fat milk. It doesn't taste great, but after a workout you can choke one down. Protein bars aren't worth the money, but MetRX bars taste pretty good. Power bar sucks, don't bother. Really I'd say a protein shake a day, fridge full of low fat yogurt, boneless/skinless chicken breast or thighs, eggs, pasta, fresh veggies, cheese, and some ice cream for sweets cravings. Oh and peanut butter and wheat bread or oatmeal for breakfast. Couscous has a good amount of protein and is good for you, easy to cook. If you eat correctly you don't need those protein shakes, they are most useful IMO because of the concentrated calories.

The Ito

That, but lose the Pasta, chicken thighs, and icecream.
For sweets, try apples or frozen Yogurt.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
-BB- said:
That, but lose the Pasta, chicken thighs, and icecream.
For sweets, try apples or frozen Yogurt.
Chicken thighs are about half the price of breasts at the local safeway(I'm a college student) plus, at my weight I can use the little extra fat the thighs seem to have. Pasta, I need some carbs, 200+ miles a week is no good if I'm downing only protein(brown rice is also a staple). Ice cream is a rarity, but I like it and I find that if I have something sweet now and then I don't eat a lot of it, so it's nice in the fridge(I will check out frozen yogurt). Apples and bananas are always in the fridge.

If you can pay for it, Shrimp has a high protein content and very little fat...tasty too. Also, FDA warns against eating tuna daily and in excessive amounts. It has a high Mercury rating(though canned tuna is slightly better than fresh, apperently), which can cause health issues(supposedly).

Cheese is tasty, but like you said, it has a high fat content. As for me, I can't really eat a ton of it or I start feeling sick. Too much dairy isn't a good thing if you are riding a ton.

I agree with Jmvar, protein supplements can play havoc on your stomach. Don't switch over to large servings right away, add it in slowly. I know the first week I spent on protein I had slight stomach aches. Cut back a bit and they went away, added more protein and no more stomach issues.

Oh and in the last year or so I've put on about 25lbs(going from a skinny 5'7 sub-120 to bulkier 145) with a diet more or less resembling what I put above. Obviously I wasn't going for fat loss though.

The Ito

The Ito

jon cross

Monkey
Jan 27, 2004
Banner Elk, NC
Maybe try a 3-egg cheese and salsa omelette for breakfast and a grilled chicken sandwich for lunch with a cup of yogurt in the middle. You might not have to go with the powders at all.

sniperfodder

Chimp
Mar 20, 2005
if you don't like the whey powders, try egg whites. You can split the eggs, or get the pre-seperated egg whites. The advantage of the pre-seperated one is that they are already pasturized. That means on top of making whatever eggs you like, you can pour it into drinks and shakes. You won't even taste them. They are no more expencive then eggs either.

I would not recommed eating raw egg whites. You will mostlikly be fine, but if you do get sominella poisoning, you could lost all the weight you worked hard to put on, all in a day or two. Flush flush. Not an issue with the seperated ones.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
MorphineFreak said:
Ditto that!! I've been using that powder (vanilla) for about five years. I mix two scoops with four frozen strawberries, two ice cubes, a cup of water, a tbsp of flax seed oil, and 5g creatine. And I order all my supplements from DPS.

Spunger, if you are looking for a powder that actually tastes good mixed with only water, check out the Nectar proteins by Syntrax (check that dps link MorphineFreak posted). It's not the cheapest stuff out there, but it tastes good and provides 20g protein per scoop with just 120 calories.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've been battling the protein thing myself for a while. I was doing the designer protein powder thing but recently it started giving me really bad gas. Then I started thinking that it did not make much sense to take a crapload of protein in one sitting. The body has no way of storing it and it can't use a 50 gram chunk of it all at once. So lately I have just been trying to get a constant supply of it through the day. Snacking on chunks of chicken breats and drinking some skim milk between meals. I also try to snack on something protein based right before bed so my body can use it when it is doing most of the muscle repair.

Am I way off base here?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Westy said:
Am I way off base here?
Not at all. I take the 50g protein shake because it's loaded with lots of vitamins and amino acids as well, but I don't think my body can digest much more than 20-30g protein in one meal. I'm probably just pooping out the rest.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
I Are Baboon said:
Not at all. I take the 50g protein shake because it's loaded with lots of vitamins and amino acids as well, but I don't think my body can digest much more than 20-30g protein in one meal. I'm probably just pooping out the rest.

TMI !

instead of having a big bowl of ben&jerrys or 1/2 of bag of chips as a nightly snack, I have been throwing a banana, a scoop of whey protein, a little bit of 1% milk, and a few small scoops of low fat ice cream in a blender

yummy milkshake!

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
It should be kept to PM's but man my PM box would fill up fast :)

I started paying attention to the protein in some of the foods/drinks I drink and hot damm, dairy has protein up the wazoo for what you eat/drink. Milk @ 2% fat was like 10g per serving. I drink a little over a gallon a week. I started looking more at the protein I am eating trying to get that up some as well.

But I might still get some of that Syntrax? stuff and some bars and such.

Hucknificent

Chimp
Mar 24, 2005
I only say that cause I am pretty knowledgeable about nutrition and I could spend like two pages just explaining how to take it! Anyways, Isopure is one of the most pure forms, in short your body will process more of it. It's 60g's per serving and I would take 1-1.5g x body weight to bulk up, .9-1g x to maintain and decrease gradually to lose mass(per day). For sure one shake directly following workout. Also use a good creatine powder. If you are plateauing using the same workout(even w/ more weight) change your workout routine and the days you workout certain muscle groups. Your muscles have memory and changing the workout will shock them over the plateau.

rec

Chimp
Oct 1, 2004
Central Va.
I have been taking the "ON 100%" Whey Protein powder and really like it. It does not make me have to run to the bathroom and does not upset my stomach. Taste is decent when mixed with water and better with milk.
Here is a link that will give you some more info on protein. I am a type 2 diabetic and this stuff has only 3 carbs per serving and 110 calories. I usually take it 2-3 times a day. Seems to help me at they gym, not sure about biking yet though.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/index.html

Good luck

REC

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
MorphineFreak said:
Wrong, your body can process in upwards of 60 grams a protein in one sitting.
But what is it doing with it? Can it throw all 60 grams at muscle repair or is it just getting broken down into regular calories to burn?