Quantcast

What are the best clipless pedals for road biking?

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
please let me know the applicable shoe to, if it matters. this is my first set of clipless, so i figured id learn on a road bike so it's less painful.

200xRyder

Chimp
Jun 27, 2002
TrikeRiders.com
A clipless Pedal is a Clipless Pedal I say. I have some SHimano SPD 636's platforms (I think thats the #) on my BMXer and then I have a pair of Shimano SPD's without the platform. For Road BIking, Id assume you wouldnt want platforms. Just get some non-platform, SPD (type of clipless pedal), Double Sided Clips.

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
road pedals are 1-sided. It provides better ground clearance when cranking through corners. If you've ever touched your pedal to the ground when spinning through a corner on a road bike, you DEFINITELY understand why they do that.

I have little or no experience with road pedals. My road bike has Ultegra SPDs on it, and I like them a lot. Frankly, it beats the crap out of me whether Look (or one of those other fancy Euro-types with the wacko retention systems) is any better. I like Ultegra just fine. I don't have to get special shoes, or anything like that. Plus, they're pretty cheap. I'd recommend 'em...

On the other hand, if you're trying to learn clipless to transfer over to your MTB, then get some mtb spuds, so you can take them off the roadie and use them on the mtb. There's a million good ones out there. SPD-wise, if you can find PD-M747s, they're awesome, but out of production so you'll probably have to go used. 515s are good, cheap, plentiful. 959s are pricey, but supposedly very good - no mud packing or any of that junk. You could also look at Eggbeaters or Times, or whatever else, I guess.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
the Ultegras have been known to have some issues after a while of use.

i'd go with Egg Beaters...which is what i'm gonna do when the road cleats come out.

then there's Speedplays. eh....the only one's i'd consider are the Zeros, which have 0-15* of float.

TIMEs and Looks are pretty popular among the hardcore guys for some reason. i've never ridden them, and think they look like crap, but the platform is huge.

but yeah, if you want to switch them to your mtb, go with the Beaters.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Actually I don't think road pedals have greater ground clearance than typical spd xc type pedals. There is no need for two sided as you tend not to have too many dismounts. That said, I tried some one sided SPD road pedals and they were awful. I could not learn to get into them quickly without looking. Almost always rotated on me, plus on really long rides where you're rarely off and running, spd's can be a bit uncomfortable to some people as your standing on a dinky platform. Road cleats and pedals privide a large surface which most people find better. I have Ultegra spd-r which i like just fine. I had some Looks but with my 39 Shimano shoes I could not adjust the cleat far enough to the inside of the shoe to prevent my heel from rubbing the crank and frame. The sho was only about 4 mm from the crank. So some combinations of shoe, pedal and shoe size might not work.

Most pedals offer some degree of float and some are adjustable. Some have adjustable tension. The big manufacturers are Time, Look, Shimano, Campagnolo. Others are Keywin, Speedplay, and I'm sure there are others. I recommend the bigger manufacturers because parts availability is better and cleats do wear out and accidents can happen.

There ia new Look pedal out, the CX-7 that looks sweet. Adjustable in all directions, carbon body and silly price, like over $500 Canadian. Yikes. A set of pedals. And for 03, a titanium axled version.

Oct 26, 2001
God Hole NC
I use some of the really old dura-ace look style pedals on my road bike. I tried running the spd type (old ritcheys) and what I noticed is since there is no tread really on road shoes, they slide around quite a bit with nothing to help them stick. The large platform type cleat does make big difference.

I believe there are 3 types of shoe patterns being Time, Look and SPD (I think they make adapters also but they tend to raise your foot from the axle). My suggestion would be to try to pick up some Look's or Times off e-bay or something for pretty cheap and then find some shoes to match. I think time is the better system but look compatable shoes I believe will be easier to find at a good price. Oh, I have not used them myself but have heard good things about the speedplay road pedals also.