Quantcast

What are you cooking for thanksgiving?

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Anyone doing anything exciting (food wise)?

This year I'm not doing a whole turkey. Instead I'm doing several "split" breasts (bone-in)... and I'll probably do them on the BBQ. :thumb:

So far Im thinking that two will be enough since they are pretty large. Maybe I'll do three though. All of them will be brined, but probably different brines for each. As of now it will be one in a lemon/pepper/sage brine and another in a Cajun brine. If I do a third, it will probably be some sort of southwest brine.

For cooking, as I said, I'll use the side-box BBQ and cook them for about 2-3 hours at about 250 degrees with some Hickory chips and lump mesquite charcoal.

In addition to the Turkeys, I'm doing the dressing/stuffing. Might do two batches to match the two turkeys. One will be an Andouille Sausage stuffing with french bread... that much I know. The other... not sure. I have a pound of lump blue crab, so that may be a separate stuffing, or I'll add it to the andouille one. :weee:

For Veg... Maybe braised brussel sprouts with bacon and grated aged cheddar?

So come on guys... What are your ideas/traditions?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
cooking two turkeys. one fried another baked. im responsible for frying the turkey for my future in-laws and their gigantic family...great

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Same thing we do every year. Buddy who owns a local BBQ joint is smoking teh turkey, wifey makes salad and pies, other friends make more pies and sides, I bring a bottle of:

Cant freaking wait. Though I am working turkey day. :(

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I am doing two spatchcocked turkeys on my drum smoker. Creole butter injection with a cajun rub. Yum!
So I had to look up Spatchcocked... sounds interesting.

So how would you define the Creole vs the Cajun? Not historically, but as far as it relates to your recipe?
Historically, Creole is the more black/Spanish/French/Caribbean influences in Louisiana...more Neworleans. Cajun are the French "Acadians" that came down from Canada and live out in the bayou.