Quantcast

What are you drinking

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
out of?

I need a new hydration pack. My camelback octane has been good but is a little flimsy for my liking and is starting to break down. I LOVE the hip pockets, but don't want a lumbar pack. I've heard good things about Osprey. What's good?

RoboDonkey713

Monkey
Feb 24, 2011
Maine
I quit wearing packs for 85% of my riding. I use Skratch Labs mix in Bottles. One on the bike and one in the pocket of my bibs. I can ride 3 hrs on 2 bottles. On rides longer than 3 hours, I use a pack and put bottles in my pack.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I rarely wear a pack, but when I do its an Evoc with an osprey bladder.
Went Evoc because they come in sizes (I'm 6'4 and most packs are too short) and the spine protection.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Seriously, WTF is that about? At first I thought it was a character limit during one of the upgrades, but now I think BV was just fucking with me.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I have an Osprey Raptor 14 and like it, but when carrying a rain shell along with the regular tools, snacks etc it's packed pretty tight.

I just got a Zealot 15 which has more storage with a big expandable main compartment, but less internal organization (tool pockets / dividers). It does have zip up belt pockets the tool pouch at the bottom which is nice.

My old pack was a DaKine, which had the best overall storage/pocket layout IMO, but it wasn't as comfortable to wear on long rides.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
If Osprey could make a pack where the hose doesn't immediately go in the dirt when you set it down....in fact, all packs should have the hose inside of the shoulder strap with a zipper on the strap that lets you get it out when you want it (like my winter camelback).

New camel backs are nice, I have osprey and just got a new hawg, the hawg is pretty light and expandable, hip pockets, nice ventilation, rain shell, etc.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Thank you for the actual replies. I find that my octane 14 has a little TOO much room, and not enough structure. I would like to have everything in its right place. The reality is that I don't ever do those 12hr epics, so I mostly need a shock and tire pump, various tools of choice, and food/toob. I love having the big bladder though, no sense in getting a small one.

I really like the ospreys but don't really know where to start....I'll check out that 14 tho

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Thank you for the actual replies. I find that my octane 14 has a little TOO much room, and not enough structure. I would like to have everything in its right place. The reality is that I don't ever do those 12hr epics, so I mostly need a shock and tire pump, various tools of choice, and food/toob. I love having the big bladder though, no sense in getting a small one.

I really like the ospreys but don't really know where to start....I'll check out that 14 tho
I can't remember if it was about the same size as my Mule - but the USEFUL space is much larger in the Osprey. Used to be I could pack everything I needed for a big ride into the Mule but shit was sticking out all over and even those awful elastic cords got used. The Osprey does not have this problem. There is only one small pocket on it that is only semi-useful.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I had an Osprey Viper 13 for a few years but just recently sold it and got a Camelback Skyline 10LR instead.

The Osprey is well built, the bladder is great, and it has good internal pockets and organization. However it just moved around too much on my back; it seems to sit high, and tended to slide up on jumps or log piles. While the straps have a lot of adjustments, I could not get it to stay put. The Raptor is probably better with its more substantial hip belt. My GF has a Raptor and really likes it.

I was intrigued by the CB Skyline design and really positive reviews, and it fits me well. I don't have a ton of riding time on it yet, but so far it seems more stable and I like having the weight positioned lower.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I've had the Dakine nomad (Lower link driven model) for a long time and like it. Holds everything but isn't massive, or so small that it can't hold helmet, rain jacket, etc. Not a fan of the bladder though, I always switch to a big camelback sack.