Quantcast

What Cables for Avid Cable Discs?

kramerski

Chimp
Aug 23, 2002
Richmond, VA
I'm getting ready to upgrade to Avid's Cable Actuated Disc Brakes but I am wondering what type of cable to use?

I'm planning on running continuos cable housing front and rear.

I'm looking at Avid Flak JAckets, Aztec Cables (Teflon Inner and outer, anti-compression housing, similar to shifer cable casing) or Shimano XTR.

Thanks!

Really, any high quality cable/housing system is going to do you fine if you do a good, clean job of installation.

That said, I personally have good results and a long track record with Avid Flak Jackets, and also reccomend them to anyone whose bike I do cable/housing work on. The system is semi-sealed, the cables are good and the housing is very durable. The one thing to know about Flaks is that you should use a Dremel to cut them, rather than a scissor-style housing cutter.

On my latest build, with Avid mech discs, I used Flak Jackets and also the Avid Full Metal Jacket steel tube system for the front brake (I couldn't get a good routing for the rear). Their easy to incorporate with each other and work great.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Stainless steel. I do not like teflon. They are very smooth for a while, but as the coating wears off, everything gums up.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I just run whatever cables the LBS has, I use the speed dial levers with nearly the most leverage and my brakes feel great, I don't even notice that the cables are probablly too old as I've replaced the shift cables twice now but not the brake cables.