Quantcast

What cassette is this?

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van

It's a Shimano, but I don't know which. I presume the fact that the 15t and up are 1 piece that it's a cheapo.

i.e. it wouldn't work wiht these new-fangled 42t aftermarket cogs everyone love-hates these days...

if it is a "entry level" as I suspect it is, it is a STAIN on my fancy carbon bike... might need to remedy that.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Should be a part number on the carrier for the largest 3 cogs.

But yeah, that's not a high end one.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Nope, it's an SLX.

I hadn't seen the code on the lock ring. Having said that, I would have thought that the markings would be elsewhere on the cogs as well.

Lock ring says:CS-HG81-10

Intertubes tells me that's SLX.

Alloy carrier rather than aluminum, and bout 50g heavier. I don t care that much about the weight, but the compatibility with the 42t cog adapter is what I'd be after.

XTR is way lighter, but waaaaaaaaaaaay more expensive. Not worth it to me.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Uh, there are different kinds of aluminum used for bike parts, but as far as a I know they are all alloys (technically, they are "aluminum alloys"). Did you mean steel as opposed to aluminum?

Anyway, yes, aluminum carrier for the last few cogs.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
ah, right. well I think I might have made a silly assumption at some point during my e-research that the carrier was steel on an SLX, but alu on an XT. (both alloys, I'm sure)

I'm not even sure of that anymore. In any event, the XT is lighter, and the cogs are not pinned together in the same groupings as they are on an SLX. Not sure where the weight savings on the XT come from. Just assumed it came from a difference in the carrier weight.

the tech info on chainreaction says "alloy carrier" for both... So I blame chainreaction.