Quantcast

What did I get myself into?

Bigdude408

Chimp
Aug 7, 2011

So I scored this for about 140 bucks. I havN't rode a bicycle for 14years. But really want to give a shot at it. I go to timberline ski resort in cannan valley wv 4 or 5 times a year. It seems pretty popular there, due to the ski lifts and downhill funness. ;)
I'm using this for some fun exercise, I don't want to compete. I'm
6'1 260lbs, and want to be 220 by next bike season. I'm hoping this will be a good stArterbike, that I can learn to work on and have it grow with me for a year or more.
Where do I start?

Thanks in advanced

Nerf Herder

Chimp
Mar 26, 2010
I reckon take the tree catchers off (bar ends), unless you do alot of open fire trail type climbing ... then just ride it as hard are you can.

My handy hint ... make sure your qr levers on the wheels are on tight before you start hucking gutters or anything bigger :)

welcome back

Bigdude408

Chimp
Aug 7, 2011
I don't see much function in the tree catchers either, although I am taking it easy for a while.
As far as mechanics go, what should I check? I'm a newb, but I work on autos/motorcycles/quads/even some nitro rc cars, I should be able to hold my own working on them.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
If the gears are shifting well and not skipping as you pedal, and the brakes feel good, then that is about it.

Bigdude408

Chimp
Aug 7, 2011
Ok so I figured out the gears. Everything else seems good to go. I'm ready to ride.
Do I need bar ends to replace those stock uprights?
Kickstand might be necessary at first, plan on trying a baby seat on it untill I get a comfort bike for that.

Last edited: