Quantcast

What did you have for dinner tonight?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Started with caprese - fresh cherry tomatoes (from the garden) and mozzarella... entree was roasted chicken parts that had been marinated for two days in fig balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Side was a butter sauté of zucchini, yellow squash, and haricots vert - all straight out of the garden. Dessert - leftover peach pie. :drool:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
On my way through Colorado....I plan on stopping in for dinner.

Sounds good, I'm guessing you didn't eat it in front of the TV?
Fock no! Although I had to take the middle boy to soccer practice and then go to "curriculum night" at their school after that... dinner was kinda late. :dead:

Now I'm a little bit buzzed on a pint of too-strong margarita. :thumb:

When are you coming through? 'Cause it would be a shame if it was after the first hard freeze and the garden was dead. :(

Oh - and a friend just brought over about 10 lbs of peaches that were picked yesterday from her neighbor's peach tree. Goddam they're even better then the Palisade peaches we got a couple weeks back.

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
bbq'd cabi sausage with mustard, sauerkraut, and homemade bread

followed by mojitos - my mint garden needed another haircut.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Too lazy to cook last night, so it was a white pizza with three cheeses, garlic, basil, and italian sausage, and a spinach salad. Couple Junipero and tonics prior, then Burgess Zinfandel.

asa

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Rubicon Pizzaria at Northstar. Had the Portobella mushroom penne pasta, a couple of Fat Tires and free sushi slipped to me covertly by my waiter from the $35 Thursday night sushi bar:biggrin:

asa

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Yeah, it is really good! But I have buddies at Big Wave and the Rubicon who know how to help a poor girl out:brows:

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Suateed onions, zukes, squash, and tomato with melted cheddar cheese. Served with a side of black beans and an ear of corn.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Funny, if that's a gin and tonic I had quite a few of those last night myself while being fed "test" dishes by a local chef friend. Tortelloni in brodo, tagliatelle with chanterelles and crab, and tuna "sliders," all good and coming to the menu soon. Pretty cool sitting at the bar and having the chef bring you stuff to eat and discuss.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
How did this one work out? It isn't the type of combo I'd think would work... how did he prepare it?

Very tasty but the least successful. I really like the combo of mushrooms and crab but it was a cream sauce (with basil). He was going for a light cream feel but I thought it was a bit heavy, would have worked much better without the cream, something with wine/stock.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Hope you're enjoying your retirement. Good call - I'm having paella tonight and a marg may be in order to help everything come together.
Just gonna chill for a few days, redesign my resume and see what shakes out.

I've always wanted to give someone a paella pan as a gift just to see how uncomfortable they get.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Damn, that is one serious paella. I do a very simple version with chorizo and shrimps and some veg. Mark Bittman did an article on a tomato paella in the Times recently, his version was surprisingly similar to one I've been doing for years. Great technique, easy to do.

The article is archived but here is something close to Bittmans:

http://wednesdaychef.typepad.com/the_wednesday_chef/2007/09/mark-bittmans-t.html

I basically do the same thing except I use less tomato, brown some chunks of chorizo with the onion and rice, and add a few shrimps at the very end. MMMM now I'm friggin' starving.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
i hate you all. the food here at school isn't very good. there's an amazing italian place in town, but all of my money is for booze. i at least can get food for free so beer takes priority.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Sat night I had two of the best cheeseburgers I've had in a long time. Nothing fancy, but they were grilled over a wood fire at our campground near Northstar after a day of crushing rocks. Washed back with lots of beer and an epic camp fire session, it was sublime.

Last night was sushi in the 'hood, good stuff.