Quantcast

What do you guys consider when selling your bike?

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Originally posted by strakos
How do you define the price you´re going to sell it for?

Do you take out 30-40% of the original price?
And what else?
lessee if 6yrs of college is of any good.......

start with a price you like, and then compare it to what your buyer can get new for that price, typically you will be selling to someone thats experienced since its used, so your buyer should be able to make the same evaluation.
now, your price should be lower since he has to take the chance on that your equipment ok.

but maybe the best would be to post in the buysell and see what comes out there.......

v

Dirt rider

Pro Rider
Nov 18, 2001
redneck wasteland
Find out what other people are selling simular bikes for. take the condition of the bike if your one of those people who have their bike in mint shape all the time you can expect to get more. touch up bigger scraches (ones down to the metal) with model paint and when a dude comes by to see the bike make sure it is clean muddy or dusty bikes are not that apealing to buyers. thowing in extra parts is good as long as the parts are in good shape. NEVER advertise "New frame" it may indate to buyers that the bike has been abused and will tend to skip it! as for price start at the highest resonable price and then have a minimum price in your mind that you will not buge on :D

Micro-Sanjay

I invented Erbon Assolt
Nov 26, 2001
Tustin- not in OC
what pisses me off is that when sellers try so hard to break even on what they paid for their bike originally and advertise it as a "barely used" bike which happened to be a 2 yr old model.... Barely used????? Ridden only 12 times. Up Bin Laden's scared arse!!! Some people just don't get the idea of depreciation value of merhandise. Enough ranting...

Anyways, I take the hit. For example, Intense M1 frames retail for $2700 alone so I usually sell my complete bike with top of the line parts and maybe some cool prototype stuff (tires, rear shock, etc) for just $2200-2500 range. That's just my Math.... I don't intend to make money (it would be great) but just to get something out of the bike that got me racing/riding for some time. I usually throw in some incentive items like whatever spare parts, tires, team jersey I have laying around with the package. That most money I have gotten out of my race bike was for $2990. But that was a sweet package. 98 Team Issue M1, 98 Xvert Carbon (with lower leg extension and was only a pro issue fork), full XTR, MRP and the works with Team Intense Jerseys and FRO Tires....the kid was stoke...for $2990 so was I...for the money.

just my piece

Ozzer

Old_Dude

Monkey
I was going to sell my last bike to this guy who saw my ad in the classifieds. He came over & was walking around the bike & suddenly discovered the "foliage" my ex girlfriend painted on the frame, then he snorted "Well, that'll HAVE to come off.

I was surprised at his reaction, got a bit pissed & told him it wasn't for sale anymore.

Some folks just can't appreciate art when they see it, for everyone else, there's that dude selling black velvet paintings on the corner near zippy mart.

Poser.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Originally posted by Old_Dude
I was going to sell my last bike to this guy who saw my ad in the classifieds. He came over & was walking around the bike & suddenly discovered the "foliage" my ex girlfriend painted on the frame, then he snorted "Well, that'll HAVE to come off.

I was surprised at his reaction, got a bit pissed & told him it wasn't for sale anymore.

Some folks just can't appreciate art when they see it, for everyone else, there's that dude selling black velvet paintings on the corner near zippy mart.

Poser.

rock on old_dude!!!!

some people dont understand that a bike is not something you just sell, theres got to be some empathy, its like giving away a puppy, you want it to have a good new home

v