Quantcast

what do you take with you on a ride?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
in terms of tools/parts/supplies - what do you take with you? I come from the dirt side of riding, so I'm used to taking everything I can fit in my pack. But now that I've started doing some road riding, I want to be a bit more minimalistic in my approach.

I'm thinking, tire levers, patch kit, tube (2 if it's a long ride), multitool and a few chain links. Is that sufficient? The multitool is pretty inclusive - chain tool, hex keys, spoke wrench, screw drivers, etc. Obviously something for nutrition and hydtration as well, but...

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Whatever I can cram into my saddle bag, which isn't that big. So....

spare tube, CO2 pump with two catridges, tire levers. That's all as far as parts and tools go. I also cram a cell phone, some Gu, a credit card, and some cash in the bag.

If I ever need to make mid-ride repairs, I am screwed.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
in addition to those things, I have a goodie bag that connects between stem spacers and TT that always has drugs, contact lenses and solution, chapstick, money, and handwarmers :)

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
First aid kit - Driver license, Medical insurance card and a credit card
2 tire leavers
1 tube
1 patch kit
1 thing of air

that's my club bike ride kit sometimes i'll only bring the first aid kit and sometimes i'll bring the whole thing and an extra can of air.

HarryCallahan

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
SC mtns
jacksonpt said:
in terms of tools/parts/supplies - what do you take with you? I come from the dirt side of riding, so I'm used to taking everything I can fit in my pack. But now that I've started doing some road riding, I want to be a bit more minimalistic in my approach.

I'm thinking, tire levers, patch kit, tube (2 if it's a long ride), multitool and a few chain links. Is that sufficient? The multitool is pretty inclusive - chain tool, hex keys, spoke wrench, screw drivers, etc. Obviously something for nutrition and hydtration as well, but...
In addition to what you listed:

Cell phone, change for pay phone, house key
Mini pump, clamped to frame below water cage.

I gave up on the CO2 gizmo after a fiasco with multiple flats and leaky tubes that used up a bunch of cartridges and left me walking.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
co2 which doubles as a manual pump
$10 bill, a one dollar bill and some change
tube
cell phone
levers
maybe a multi-tool

I've heard that if you tear a side wall, you can wrap a dollar bill around a tube to fill in the rip to get you back to the car. Never had to try it...

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Holy Crap - I don't know why really but I haven't been including any form of ID in my saddle bag.

That's pretty stupid on my part. What if something bad happened? :think:

I will start carrying something from now on.

I need a bigger and better saddle bag.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
MMcG said:
Holy Crap - I don't know why really but I haven't been including any form of ID in my saddle bag.

MBC and I have ID bracelets.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
MMcG said:

I need a bigger and better saddle bag.
I used to not carry id but there was a rash of riders being plowed down around here a while back and a few of them didn’t have id's. They weren’t id'd for a few days because their family didn’t know to look for them in the morgue.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
LordOpie said:
in addition to those things, I have a goodie bag that connects between stem spacers and TT that always has drugs, contact lenses and solution, chapstick, money, and handwarmers :)
Got EPO?;)

I'm that guy on the ride that carries everything.
Tools-a-plenty, tube/patches/PUMP, small first-aid-kit, food, phone, extra layers (some rides you can go thru 3 seperate seasons as far as the weather around here) and a camera to boot...but I still keep/make pace no problem.
I also come from the epic XC riding background, so carrying a well-packed camelbak doesn't really bother me. Besides, my water's ALWAYS cold!!:D
I'm sure I'd ride the living hell out of a bike if I went minimalistic, but I wouldn't feel safe/secure about riding out into the boonies.

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
This is the stuff thats always on my bike. Everything else is situational and goes in my pockets.

1 tube
2 levers
patch kit w/ unopened glue
Frame or mini pump
$1 bill for booting a tire cut
Spoke wrench

I need to find a good multi tool and carry that too. Most are too big though, or don't have what I need.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Drugs, money, condoms, multi-tool, 2 spare tubes, pump, chain links, one each brake and shift cables, mylar strips, food and a rain jersey or extra jersey so that I will have something dry if I need it on cool days. I pretty much backpack it wherever I go. Where I tend to ride the most there are very few services and no cell coverage.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Serial Midget said:
Drugs, money, condoms, multi-tool, 2 spare tubes, pump, chain links, one each brake and shift cables, mylar strips, food and a rain jersey or extra jersey so that I will have something dry if I need it on cool days. I pretty much backpack it wherever I go. Where I tend to ride the most there are very few services and no cell coverage.

...and you wouldn't want to be caught alone in the woods but for the animals w/o food, drugs and money(read:bait); cables, tubes & strips(read:restraints); and pump and condoms(read:sex tools). :eek:

Nate at RIT

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
bending stuff in the ROC
Pretty much a chain tool, 4/5/6 triangle, about 1/2 a chain, extra tube, patch kit, some money, my ROAD ID dogtag, 14mm cone wrench (chain tugs), cell phone, keys, tire lever.

Never had to use any of it yet. Running a fixie with Armadillos. Pretty much bombproof, and I haven't been run down yet (crossing fingers)

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Seatbag:

Tube, co2 inflator, multitool, tire levers

during the winter I put my light battery in there, too.

jersey pockets:

Phone, map(sometimes), ID and some food

Winter: jacket, arm/knee warmers

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The one tool I really like for road is the Sidetrak tool. Just a couple of tire irons with allen key/screwdriver ends:

dhriderII

Monkey
Nov 26, 2004
good ol' culpep
eh sounds like i keep it to the extreme minium... generally i only have water and a phone with me and if its a long ride that ive never done i generally take a phone and multi tool

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The one time I brought nothing on a ride, just a spin around the neighborhood I double flatted after sprinting over a pothole I didn't see. It was a long 2 mile walk home.

mtnbikej

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
So. CAL.
Seatbag:

Tube
2-3 CO2s
Patch Kit
Tire Levers
ID & credit card

Jersey Pocket:
Multi tool-Crank Bros. 17
Tube
CO2 Inflator
IPOD
Guu-# depending on the ride length

The multi tool and inflator are used for both road and mtn so it doesn't go in the seatbag.

mtnbikej

dhriderII

Monkey
Nov 26, 2004
good ol' culpep
Westy said:
The one time I brought nothing on a ride, just a spin around the neighborhood I double flatted after sprinting over a pothole I didn't see. It was a long 2 mile walk home.
yeah u would had thought i would learn to carry a tube with me after i flatted in catalpa one day when i had ridden from my house in white shop, about 20-30 miles from my house.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Seat bag:
Tube
2 CO2 cartridges
Patch Kit
Quick stik (tire lever)
Park IB2 multi-tool

Jersey pocket:
Ziploc bag
$10 & $1.00 & 4 quarters (the $1.00 and quarters are for vending machines)
ID card
Cell phone if I'm alone.