Quantcast

what do you use to cut steer tubes?

Tweek

I Love Cheap Beer!
Never seen one of those before.
I usually just bend them back and forth until they break apart. (I'm huge, you see. :D :p)
Seriously, a hacksaw and a steer tube alignment thingy (sorry for the techno talk) that clamps over the tube to guide the saw.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
That's a pipe cutter from Home Depot. You just have to keep in mind home much pressure your applying because i might me possible to bend the tube while cutting. This one was about $25 but they do have cheaper models around $10.
You tighten the little clamp thingy to the tube. There is 1 cutter blade and 2 rollers. Turn around the tube a couple of times until the cutter has done its job, tighten a little turn, repeat until complete.

recidivist

Monkey
Aug 29, 2002
Soquel, Cali
Originally posted by The Toninator
I use this but had to buy a file because it creates a rim around the top.

(pic of tube cutter)
I always wonder why tube cutters aren't used. Maybe it deforms the tube? Despite the name, it doesn't really cut the tube, it kinda forces a groove into it.

I'm a strict hacksaw and clamp guy, even though it seems like a more violent way to go at it.

I assume this is true for steel and alu steerers. How about carbon?

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Originally posted by recidivist

I always wonder why tube cutters aren't used. Maybe it deforms the tube? Despite the name, it doesn't really cut the tube, it kinda forces a groove into it.

I'm a strict hacksaw and clamp guy, even though it seems like a more violent way to go at it.

I assume this is true for steel and alu steerers. How about carbon?
If you do it right it should not deform the tube. This one will "cut" thin wall copper without deforming it so a light touch and a steady head will do you fine.
I think a PVC cutter would be good for carbon or maybe even this one but I’m really just guessing. I think i would go to the hacksaw for carbon.
Tweek the blade is centered between the two rollers and you clamp to apply pressure. Once again a steady hand and a light touch will produce a clean level cut. Very minimal filing.

recidivist

Monkey
Aug 29, 2002
Soquel, Cali

If you do it right it should not deform the tube. This one will "cut" thin wall copper without deforming it so a light touch and a steady head will do you fine.
I think that's it. It you tighten the cutter too quickly (too many turns of the knob between cuts), it will definitely deform the tube -- either crush/ovalize it, or raise a ridge on either side of the cut.

I guess a hacksaw is more fool proof.

This tri-geek:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/techctr/maintenance/steerer.html

Suggests using a tubing cutter on carbon/alu steerers, or to put a 'reference mark' if you don't have a guide. Then go at it with a hacksaw -- but he suggests a 'toothless blade' ??? Maybe some diamond-impreg 'abrasive line' that goes in a hacksaw frame?

Profile suggests putting masking tape on the fork to hold all the pieces together when you accidentally shatter the steerer....

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
A tubing cutter won't work well on carbon. It will probably leave a frayed end. Likewise if you use a hacksaw, use a really fine toothed one or a toothless variety. If the saw blade is too coarse it will pull out individual fibers and leave a frayed end which I guess could unravel.

I use a dremel with a cut off wheel and use the stem and a spacer as a sacrifice guide. When cutting carbon tubes, wear a dust mask. Carbon dust is most unhealthy.

I have used tubing cutters on aluminum and steel steer tubes. But its a lot of work especially on thick aluminum ones. But you do get a perfectly square cut. Tubing cutters are perfect for cutting handlebars though.

The best is a nice sharp hacksaw and cutting guide though. Fast and clean.

I cut an aluminum steerer on a Judy SL last night, the same old way I ever do: put a blade appropriate for the material on the hacksaw, crank up the blade tension and cut. In this case, it was a nice new 22t blade and the cut was straight as ever (don't force it). Afterwards, I use a file to deburr and bevel the cut edge.

:monkey:

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
The hacksaw and guide method is best, a tube cutter makes a thick flange inside the tube that needs to be reamed out afterwards, and the potential for damage is to great.

And HELL NO on carbon tubes!!!

The key is use a new hacksaw blade w/ good tension and minimal pressure, with many strokes. Two old clamp-on stems w/ old spacers in between makes a fine guide. Or spring for the Park one if you install forks often.

Clean up with a bit of 120 grit paper and yer done.

Carbon Fetish

Monkey
May 6, 2002
Irvine, CA

I think a PVC cutter would be good for carbon or maybe even this one but I’m really just guessing. I think i would go to the hacksaw for carbon.
Yeah, pipe cutter on carbon is a big nono. Doing that will damage the steer and could crack or split the hole tube. You need a fine tooth blade (32 per inch) and it will cut very nicely almost like butta. I work in a shop so I use the Park SG-6

Zaskar Rider

Monkey
May 29, 2002
PNW
After plumbing all summer, which I quickly turned around and spent all the money I made on two new bikes :D, I don't think that the tubing cutter is a good idea. Those things tend to push the metal inwards leaving a flange on the inside of the tube that needs to be reamed. It seems like it could weaken the tube a little there...but I don't know if it would be enough to matter. Anyway, I'd just stick with a hacksaw.