Quantcast

What do you watch on the trainer?

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Even though I haven't raced DH since '06, and haven't ridden my DH bike since early '08, I still watch DH videos while riding my trainer. I also have a bunch of grand Tour DVDs that I cycle through. What do you watch? On rare occasions I'll watch action movies or TV (commercials kill me).

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I wish my TV had bluetooth, because I can't watch any movies with dialog while I ride the trainer.

I usually watch sports like football since I don't need to hear any of it.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
I go pitch black and no music. Can't even see my hand in front of my face.
Aslo, i use a watch on my bars with a countdown timer. When it beeps i change what i am doing...

Found this to be almost meditative...

Give it a try sometime. Is nice.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Aslo, i use a watch on my bars with a countdown timer. When it beeps i change what i am doing...

I've thought about doing that, but the inability to tell my HR would be problematic. Then again, just cruising on the trainer keeps me where I need to be for longer rides. Yesterday I watched Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps. Awful trainer movie.

Other trainer-related question, anyone tried one of these?
http://www.realcyclist.com/kinetic-rock-n-roll-trainer-w-road-resistance-unit

I often find that in order to get my HR up for some exercises I'm throwing the trainer all over the room...the Kinetic seems like an interesting solution.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
I often find that in order to get my HR up for some exercises I'm throwing the trainer all over the room...the Kinetic seems like an interesting solution.
So your like Tom Boonen on your trainer.....?....I try to keep my upper body "Silent" when i'm on there. Don't want to have and accident....

I have a Kurt Kinetic (the regular style). Bought it after reading all the stellar reviews. It is good but not terrific...

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Edit: WHoops... Somehow found my way into the Road/Cyclocross forum. Please pardon the inturuption. I'll be leaving now. ;)

What is a trainer? ;)

#1 - I don't have the dedication to use a trainer
#2 - Living in SoCal the only time I might use a trainer is in the middle of the summer when it gets too HOT. We can ride all winter in shorts and a T (ok, maybe a long sleeve for the way downhill when you are all sweaty.

Last edited:

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007

Pitch black!? Seems odd, but I'll have to try it. Ever fall asleep when it's early morning? :)

Other trainer-related question, anyone tried one of these?
http:///kinetic-rock-n-roll-trainer-w-road-resistance-unit
I've always wondered about that trainer. You have to "balance" since it sways side to side. Would be nice for standing up. I hate the size though

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
http://www.cptips.com/stacyc.htm

"But before you turn up that stereo, a study of untrained men and women demonstrated that they rode an average of 27% longer when they cycled in silence rather than listening to music. And another study of trained cyclists found that a poorer workout when they cranked up the decibels.What's not clear is whether the hard core riders preferred silence and suffering and made the difference or whether it was the distraction of the music that kept everyone from maxing out."

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

"But before you turn up that stereo, a study of untrained men and women demonstrated that they rode an average of 27% longer when they cycled in silence rather than listening to music. And another study of trained cyclists found that a poorer workout when they cranked up the decibels.What's not clear is whether the hard core riders preferred silence and suffering and made the difference or whether it was the distraction of the music that kept everyone from maxing out."
Sounds like the wrong music.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california

I've found that music is helpful to get into a workout or a high-intensity rhythm, but not for long suffer-fests. Of course, YMMV.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
I've found that music is helpful to get into a workout or a high-intensity rhythm, but not for long suffer-fests. Of course, YMMV.
Just ran across this today. Contrary evidence to my previous post.:monkey:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/08/25/phys-ed-does-music-make-you-exercise-harder/?pagemode=print

In a typical study, from 2008, cyclists who rode in time to music used 7 percent less oxygen to pedal at the same pace as when they didn’t align themselves to the songs.
So the next time you go for a moderate run or bike ride, first increase the tempo of some insidiously catchy Lady Gaga downloads (or Justin Bieber or Katy Perry), and load them on your iPod. “Our bodies,” Dr. Kraus concluded, “are made to be moved by music and move to it.”

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Music just helped them hold a pace better.

Big difference between random college males, elite cyclists, and racing enthusiasts.
I don't believe the first study at all. I don't think it has been tested enough for anything conclusive, except that indoor training sucks and anything to alleviate the boredom is required.