Quantcast

what do your ladies ride?

firetoole

duch bag
Nov 19, 2004
Wooo Tulips!!!!
after several months I finally managed to talk my wife out of getting a comfort bike and into getting a roadie so she can ride with me. this will be her first real bike and I was wondering what a good entry level wife bike was. sub $600 she is 5'8"ish
what do your ladies ride?

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
I've had good luck selling the ladies at the shop on the Trek WSD Pilot series (I think the lower end pilot might be in your price range) and the Trek WSD 1000 and 1500.

The WSD 1000 is a great entry level bike, nothing super special, just a fairly solid parts list and a lifetime warranty on the frame. Carbon fork and seatpost. The 06 is just a little bit over the $600 mark.

The Pilot's are more upright and if she is into a comfort bike then it might appeal to her more than the 1000. It may be a little pricier though (you would be looking at the 2.0 model). To somewhat mimick the Pilot, try getting the shop to put a little higher rise stem on the 1000.

Just from what I've heard from customers and other stores, the Trek women's series is one of the best out there. They do a very good job on it each year and it is a big part of their line up. Specialized also has a good set up you may want to look into.

The Ito

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I can't comment on specific women's models, but will suggest that you go for a road bike that emphasizes comfort. If you want her to ride with you, make it as fun and comfortable as possible.

As such, probably a compact design with handlebars even with the saddle... after the saddle has been properly positioned, of course.

Also, don't be afraid of Sora components... tho do try to swap out the rear derail for 105.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
LordOpie said:
I can't comment on specific women's models, but will suggest that you go for a road bike that emphasizes comfort. If you want her to ride with you, make it as fun and comfortable as possible.

As such, probably a compact design with handlebars even with the saddle... after the saddle has been properly positioned, of course.

Also, don't be afraid of Sora components... tho do try to swap out the rear derail for 105.
True enough...though I would be wary of Sora shifters. I just hate them.

As for frames and bikes, I always heard good things about Trek's WSD when I worked for a dealer. I'd be wary of women specific stuff if you wife is 5'8". That's pretty tall for a woman and if she has shorter legs or broader shoulders or something like that, it could be worse have a womens specific model than a regular one. Just get the fit right.

J

JRB

Julie started on a Sirrus, but was quickly ready for a road bike. She has a Soma Smoothie with mostly 105 now. She digs it a lot. I think the Pilots are pretty nice too. An OCR wouldn't be bad either, or a Specialized Sequoia.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
I'm a girl but have never ridden a girl-specific bike ever.
When I did ride on the road it was on a used Voodoo rada. I loved it.
I would find her a nice used steel road bike.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
At 5'8", she can probably any Small/Med mens bike, with possibly a switch of the stem and saddle.

Woman Specific Bikes are critical for shorter women, but medium sized women can fit on a mens bike.

Your options open then, because finding a 52cm bike is a lot cheaper than a WSD.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
My road bike is an Iron Horse. I use it mainly for training and exploring some back roads in the summer. The price was right and it's performed well.

Having spent more money, I would have definitely bought a Trek or the Specialized Allez. Both make great WSD bikes.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
My girlfriend started out with a Trek 1200, and within 3 months had grown tired of the horrible Sora Shifters, and the heavy parts. I got her an IF club racer in omaha orange with lime green panels as a graduation present. Nothing fits or rides quite as well as a custom bike, but obviously a first bike shouldn't be so expensive. I would avoid anything that is billed as "women's specific" like the plauge as most of it is complete and utter BS.

Giant is pushing their women's line this year, but in reality it is just the normal frames painted girly colors, and short-reach brake levers. Trek's "wsd" is just odd-sized frames, as they make the men's bikes in even sizes. Componet selection is often different, but it is generally not well thought out. Most companies put shorter crankarms on women's bikes, but women invariably have longer femurs then men, which would indicate longer crankarms for people who beleive in such things. The only variable that really makes a difference is the saddle, but even then a "women's" saddle is not necessiarily right for every woman.

I suggest checking out a few good shops, and taking the time to get her a professional fit. There is almost nothing available in the price range you are in, so I would either bump-up your price to about a grand, or look for something used. Lots of people buy entry level road bikes and almost immeadiately realize that the bike they bought is a dog and does not meet their needs.

The Trek Pilots and Giant OCR's are decent starter bikes with more upright geometry, but the basic models come specced poorly enough that they aren't worth upgrading.

And if it already appears that she enjoys road riding, I would look for a bike that has at least 105 level componets.
Plan to spend between $1100 and $2k to get a nice bike.

Arsbars

"Finger Lickin' Good"
Mar 25, 2003
Charlotte, NC
If you can afford the upgrade to Trek 1500 I would suggest that over the 1000 WSD. Now if she gets fit and is proportional from her legs/arms then go with the 1200. The 1000 comes with VERY entry level parts. If she already rides & will continue to ride more than once a week, she will end up wearing the Sora shifters out pretty quickly. Plus the shifters are 8speed which limit you to upgrading possiblities. (Though the derail should still be Tiagra which is 9 speed compatible.. the rear wheel might not be though.)

I think Specialized has a couple out as well but I don't know their line anymore.

sanjuro said:
At 5'8", she can probably any Small/Med mens bike, with possibly a switch of the stem and saddle.

Woman Specific Bikes are critical for shorter women, but medium sized women can fit on a mens bike.
Actually I find women over 5'5 have even longer legs, shorter arms & torso. Most bikes if I can't find a womens model I have to size down for the fact that the TT is way too long. (I'm 5'10 with a 33.5 inseam.)

Also Womens design bikes have more than just sizing. The seat, & bars are normally narrower & also most of the shifters come with shims already installed for easier reach to the brake lever.

Out of all the women I've fit 90% of them needed narrower bars & a better seat. The seat is especially for more recreational/beginner riders.

All this is coming from a woman that fits women....

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Arsbars said:
If you can afford the upgrade to Trek 1500 I would suggest that over the 1000 WSD. Now if she gets fit and is proportional from her legs/arms then go with the 1200. The 1000 comes with VERY entry level parts. If she already rides & will continue to ride more than once a week, she will end up wearing the Sora shifters out pretty quickly. Plus the shifters are 8speed which limit you to upgrading possiblities. (Though the derail should still be Tiagra which is 9 speed compatible.. the rear wheel might not be though.)

I think Specialized has a couple out as well but I don't know their line anymore.

Actually I find women over 5'5 have even longer legs, shorter arms & torso. Most bikes if I can't find a womens model I have to size down for the fact that the TT is way too long. (I'm 5'10 with a 33.5 inseam.)

Also Womens design bikes have more than just sizing. The seat, & bars are normally narrower & also most of the shifters come with shims already installed for easier reach to the brake lever.

Out of all the women I've fit 90% of them needed narrower bars & a better seat. The seat is especially for more recreational/beginner riders.

All this is coming from a woman that fits women....
I have always had great success fitiing women to Lemond's. The slacker seat angle creates a shorter front-center measurement, and is more appropriate to longer femurs and shorter torsos. They also have longer headtubes than the stock treks, which is always a bonus.

Salsa Estrada's are by far the best bars out there for anyone, but especially for people with smaller hands or shorter arms. The shallowest drop and shortest reach available, and without all the unfcomfortable "ergo" bends.