Quantcast

what does biking mean to you?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
well i figured we dont really have a thread about this and i thought it would be cool to do so. Its not like this is a forum site centered around it or anything. So why do you ride? What does it bring to your life? Is it for fitness? Fun? To impress the ladies? whatever the reason please feel free to express your love of tho wheels as deeply and passionately as you wish. Feel free to post a pic of ya like whatever floats yer boat. It would be cool if people would also talk about where they plan to take their riding in the future. Do you plan on becoming a pro racer? Do you want to acheive a certain level of fitness?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Good topic.

I guess I like to ride just because it's fun. It doesnt do anything for me on a spiritual level and I dont plan to ever make a living at it, or in the industry at all. Just getting out and cruising the trails or pumping some adrenaline by doing jumps and drops is a good time. I also like how its a fun way of keeping in shape. I could probably have just as much fun in any other sport but this is where Im at right now and its cool.

Pedalist

Monkey
Sep 20, 2003
Clayton, NC
I ride because it is the only thing that I have ever done that was everything I put into it. The more I ride the better I get the more I ride the more fun I have the more I ride the healthier I am the more I ride the more fun I have. Sometimes riding is as crazy as I am sometimes it is layed back daydreaming to the sound of my rearhub. I do not have enough experience at my age to go pro. I do my best to take all kinds of people with me to ride. I take people who never even thought about riding with me and they are always amazed at what they are missing. This is something that is what you make it. Everyones style and everyone's reason is different. It is all about what you want to do. Even when it is a group of people riding we are all alone together.

Wingnut

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2003
Sorry, I'm Canadian ..sorry...
Mostly for fun. Fitness is a bonus, or side effect!?!

I do enjoy pushing myself to new hights, and watching others push their own limits as well. It aslo includes a little "getting out of the house" some days....

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
biggins said:
So why do you ride?
Because just as when i was kid it affords me the freedom to go places i would normally not go, and go further. And it's lead to meeting great people even if it's just a passing friendly hello with another trail user. Along with the other assorted positives of being a splendid unique recreation.

biggins said:
What does it bring to your life?
Balance in the form of being physically fit, from the cardio of a long climb, to the strengh of a hard pushing climb, to the balance of being challenged on technical sections, to the euphoric feeling of accomplishment of climbing mountains and flowing freely downhill with much speed as a reward.
A stress reliever for sure.
A good physical activity to keep my body in shape for a hard ardous physical job i have.
A spiritual enhancement in riding the Creators great landscape.

biggins said:
Is it for fitness? Fun?
Yah and there are so many other variables you can do with mt. biking. That's whats makes it so nice, and you can choose what you want from it.

biggins said:
To impress the ladies?
nah i do that in bed... or on the couch or counter or floor whatever....

biggins said:
Do you plan on becoming a pro racer? Do you want to acheive a certain level of fitness?
Goals are great, but from what i see can also lead to unnescessary expectations. As long as what you're doing is fun, enriching, and fulfilling i say more power to you. i prefer to be well balanced all around good rider, but i have no motivation of pulling of 50 mile off road epics to prove i'm a goat, or sky 30 foot road gaps to prove i'm an eagle. But i'll ride with the goat's and eagles and have a great time trying to keep up.

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
The adreniline rush as you approach a jump, and the sense of acomplishment you get when you stick it. The fact that you know if you mess up your gonna get hurt and how it makes you so much more aware of whats going on and what you have to do.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
It is fun.
It keeps me healthy (but hurt too).
I LOVE progression. let me expand...I love getting better & striving to improve my fitness level, bike handling ability, going faster, AND I love watching other people get better too. Like Laura who I was with when she bought her 1st real mountain bike 3 years ago & now she kicks my ass.
It keeps me sane but insane too.
Going fast is one of the best feelings in the world.
I love the commeraderie, friendship & bonding ( & this is coming from a non-people person).
One word.....NATURE.
I love tinkering on bikes.
Traveling to ride.

I will stop gushing now.

The future....:think:
To keep on riding...forever....even if I am 80 & have to get a recumbent. :D

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I guess a big reason I ride is because it's just something to do. It is one of my few hobbies. It keeps me busy and gives me something to look forward to. I played football for a long time and I need some sort of athletic activity to fill that void. Riding helps me relax but it does not really get out my anger; it's mostly a new place to apply my emotions in a physical way. I also like the freedom aspect. I never leave for a ride knowing where I am headed. I just decide as it comes, which is a change from the normal structure of life.

The biggest reason is plain and simple: riding a bike is fun. It's fun to go fast, be outdoors and develop skills. I think like most (or at least many) people here, the fitness aspect is nice but is not the main reason and is mostly just a byproduct. My best rides are not the ones where I do the biggest climbs or ride the fastest or keep my heartrate up. The best ones are all-day solo summer adventures that may involve a trailside nap, lunch or any other number of non-biking activities.

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
biking is: riding down a busy street at 2am on a downhill bike in downtown chicago scratching up the side of a taxi with your barend because im not paying attention to where im going, getting chased for 4 blocks by an angry taxi driver, then putting a big fvckin dent in his hood because he tried to spit on me

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
I ride for friends. It's a whole subculture, and I've made some of my best friends through mountain biking. Pushing each other to progress, sharing stories, talking technology; it's all part of the lifestyle.

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
dexterq20 said:
I ride for friends. It's a whole subculture, and I've made some of my best friends through mountain biking. Pushing each other to progress, sharing stories, talking technology; it's all part of the lifestyle.
WERD! :stupid: I :heart: Dexter.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Biking (road, XC, DH, FR) means EVERYTHING to me. It's my life-blood, my religion, my soul, my addiction and, unfortunately, the closest thing to having sex at present.:o:
For sure, it has kept me away from becoming a full-on alcoholic over the last 12 years...at the same time, it has provided me with some of the most euphoric moments in my life to this point.
Now that I'm primarily focused on freeriding, it is constant progression and sharing the vibe with friends and strangers. The shock of clearing something for the first time and the moments of trepidation leading up to it. It's my reason to cross the border into Canada as well...The Shore, Whistler and the many other fine spots to ride.

Did I mention riding means everything to me?:D

smedford

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
Bellingham, WA
Riding means many things to me. I have a job where I sit all day, so sometimes it is fitness; but that is rare, like when I am riding to the store to pick up some food.

I ride trails around my house solo most of the time. Usually it takes away from everything else going on in my life. When I ride it is just me. If I see a gap or a step I enjoy flowing over it. I don't need other people at those times I am just one person riding that is all I am thinking about.

Other times I ride with a group. That is when I push my limits and become better. It feels so good to try something new that others of your riding level are doing. It is a good bonding experiance, you will always remember the first time you hit a drop that used to scare you. Even if it looks small to you now, you still have that memory.

Riding means a lot to me. Right now my friends and riding are pretty much all I need. I work to pay my bills, but would rather be on the trails.

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
Well when I first started, it was to get back in shape. I sit at work all day. What I found out was, riding relaxed me. I found it to be a big stress reliever. Now I get pissed if I can't ride. I look forward to it so much, that when I can't, I get even more frustrated. Of course it's fun as heck. I love pushing myself or trying things, jumps, or drops that might cause some serious pain if I don't make it. A couple of guys were laughing at me because I was so pumped after this climb I could never make. So I guess I see riding as being pretty rewardings, physically, and mentally. Do I have the desire to go pro....nah. But I plan on racing next season in our local series. Should be a good challenge for me.