Quantcast

what goes in an xvert carbon?

T0mo

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
nedtown, colorado
ok, I just found a manual and have another question. Do you need oil in both legs, or just the tpc side? I'm retarded and tired, any help would be great.

T0mo

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
nedtown, colorado
the manual says about 8 inches from the top. thanks for the help, I'm gonna go pick up some oil today and get my bike going for tomorrow.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
All manitou tpc and tpc+ forks should have oil heights of 10cm from the top of the fork. They work best with 7.5 oil too. The best way to alter the damping characteristics of a Manitou fork is via re-valving them.
For instance if you want a greater level of low-speed compression damping, change the screw-end shim to a 13 mm shim from the 11 is likely stock. Other adjustments are simillary affected by changing the appropriate shims.

Jose at MRD confirms that changing end-stack shims is the most effective way of altering damping characteristics, and the oil flow kinetics are such in the TPC system that changing the diameter of the shims at either end of the stacks is the most effective way to change damping characteristics.

HTFR

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Chelsea, Quebek
Originally posted by SuspectDevice
All manitou tpc and tpc+ forks should have oil heights of 10cm from the top of the fork. They work best with 7.5 oil too. The best way to alter the damping characteristics of a Manitou fork is via re-valving them.
For instance if you want a greater level of low-speed compression damping, change the screw-end shim to a 13 mm shim from the 11 is likely stock. Other adjustments are simillary affected by changing the appropriate shims.

Jose at MRD confirms that changing end-stack shims is the most effective way of altering damping characteristics, and the oil flow kinetics are such in the TPC system that changing the diameter of the shims at either end of the stacks is the most effective way to change damping characteristics.
wow dude thanks for all the great info!!! but, do you realy think that he would be able to do it??? he doesn't even know where the oil is!
no offence tomo.

oh, and can you re-shim the newer shermans the same way?

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Originally posted by HTFR

oh, and can you re-shim the newer shermans the same way?
The TPC+ ones are essentially the same. So yeah, flicks, sherman dj's etc... all work the same. Spv kind of eliminates the need for fancy re-valves as the platform is sensitve on the compression stroke, and there is plenty of compression damping stock. All that being said I haven't really been inside a SPV fork yet.

T0mo

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
nedtown, colorado
Originally posted by HTFR
he doesn't even know where the oil is!
no offence tomo.
dude, I just got the fork and it was dry inside.

no offence taken, remember:

Originally posted by T0mo
I'm retarded
now, another question. The fork sounds like it's sucking air in at the beginning of every compression and every rebound. Any ideas?