Quantcast

What happened to Harry Leary?

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
For those of you who remember Harry Leary, he was a BMX pro way back in the day. However, he kind of made a come back a few years ago in the BMX race scene.

Although, the last time I saw him at the track he was freaking out. Harry was talking to himself and basically trying to pick a fight with everyone who walked by him. At first I was getting pissed off at him, since he was being a total jerk to everyone and anyone. Subsequently, I relaized that he wasn't being a jerk to be a jerk, there was something wrong with him. I'm not too sure if he was on drugs or if there was some serious mental illness involved.

Nevertheless, I was wondering if anyone had the scoop on Harry? The last thing I heard about him was that he was running a clinic at a local track and tried to pick a fight with some kid's dad who brought his kid some water...

AZRacerX

Monkey
Mar 4, 2003
Kent, WA
I met him at Interbike a few years back and he was totally cool to me. That's sad to hear that he is having some probs, he was my hero back in the day and still kinda is. Anybody in their 40s who can still kick my butt on the track is ok by me.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
BMXman said:
I raced against him a few times...nice guy....D
That's what I have been told, and a lot of people were shocked by his behavior. The last time he was seen around here was when he tried to pick a fit with some kid's dad at a BMX clinic he was putting on. Basically, all of the parents got their kids and left...

Hopefully, he has gotten the help he needs. I hate to say this, but normal people don't act the way he was behaving; there was (is) something wrong with him. Hopefully, he got the help he needed before it was too late. At the rate he was going it was only a matter of time until he messed with the wrong person. One of two things would have happened to him, death or jail. He reminded me of Mike Tyson, just out of control and completely irrational--very strange.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
BMXman said:
I raced against him a few times...nice guy....D
That's what I have been told, and a lot of people were shocked by his behavior. The last time he was seen around here was when he tried to pick a fit with some kid's dad at a BMX clinic he was putting on. Basically, all of the parents got their kids and left...

Hopefully, he has gotten the help he needs. I hate to say this, but normal people don't act the way he was behaving; there was (is) something wrong with him. Hopefully, he got the help he needed before it was too late. At the rate he was going it was only a matter of time until he messed with the wrong person. One of two things would have happened to him, death or jail. He reminded me of Mike Tyson, just out of control and completely irrational--very strange.