Quantcast

What have you girls been up to?

luvz2ridez

Monkey
Jul 19, 2006
Shoreline, WA
It's been sooo quiet on here. Are we all just awaiting the arrival of Spring? I know it was yesterday, but it was only 35 degrees this morning when I emerged outside! :disgust1:
Well, this weekend I'm traveling up to Vancouver to take a 2-day women's clinic hosted by Endless Biking www.endlessbiking.com, here's a quick description:
This camp provides the perfect environment for women enhance their freeriding skills with: Drops, Jumps and Steeps.
I'm hoping this class will help me get ready for some more North Shore riding and Whistler this year.
Now if this rain would ever clear up we could go ride! :D

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Nice :thumb: I have been working on organizing a women's DH skills clinic at Whiteface Mountain for July 7th. I also had knee surgery on March 6th so I have been nursing that back into health..atleast I can pedal again :) Now, I am waiting for the snow to melt, trails to dry up and spring to really come!

Have fun at the clinic and definitely post up a report!

luvz2ridez

Monkey
Jul 19, 2006
Shoreline, WA
I have been working on organizing a women's DH skills clinic at Whiteface Mountain for July 7th. I also had knee surgery on March 6th so I have been nursing that back into health

Have fun at the clinic and definitely post up a report!
Where is Whiteface?
Hope your knee heals good.
And I sure will post a report on the clinic, looks like I'll be getting wet this weekend though, the clinic is rain or shine... :plthumbsdown:

VT Mtbkr

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Richmond, Virginia
I'll chime in...

I just started biking again after taking the entire winter off since October. We took two weekend trips to Snowshoe to ski and snowboard and was surprised how well I did after not skiing for 3 years.

It feels good to be back on the trails but my lungs are not liking very much right now. We're most of the way through making wedding plans but still have a lot of honeymoon planning to do.

Summer plans are getting nailed down as far as how many races we can afford and how much time off we can take. I'll be attending the Shaum's March 4 day DH camp at Snowshoe this June.

Treesaw how did your surgery go?

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
I have been going to spin class all winter, riding my dirt bike, and in 2 days am leaving for vacation to Moab! Me and my BF of 8 years are getting married there March 27 with a bunch of our friends and family. So much fun!

After that a couple super d races, downieville downhill, bogus to boise endurance DH, and lots of riding.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Where is Whiteface?
And I sure will post a report on the clinic, looks like I'll be getting wet this weekend though, the clinic is rain or shine... :plthumbsdown:
Whiteface is in Lake Placid N.Y
(5.5 hours north of N.Y.City and 2 hours south of Montreal)
site of the 1980 winter Olympics.

Here are a couple of links with info:
This one should be updated shortly but has plenty of info.
http://www.whiteface.com/newsite/summer/mtnbiking.php

Photo album for new site. Only the photo album is ready at this point:
http://www.downhillmike.com/pictures/main.php

Details for women's clinic 7-7- & 7-8-07 to be announced shortly.

Downhill Mike
www.whiteface.com
downhillmike@highpeaksma.com

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
I have been going to spin class all winter, riding my dirt bike, and in 2 days am leaving for vacation to Moab! Me and my BF of 8 years are getting married there March 27 with a bunch of our friends and family. So much fun!

After that a couple super d races, downieville downhill, bogus to boise endurance DH, and lots of riding.
did you do downieville last year??? i love it out there. i'll definitely be there this year.

luvz2ridez

Monkey
Jul 19, 2006
Shoreline, WA
I too have been doing spinning classes and Pilates and that's been helping the endurance part of riding a ton.
Congrats on all the muddhunnie marriages this summer, that's 4 that I know of so far!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Where is Whiteface?
Whiteface is in Lake Placid, NY (northeastern). It's about an hour and a half north of where I live (Saratoga Springs/Lake George Area).

My knee is doing quite well so far so that's a big plus!!! I am not really looking forward to getting my brace, but if it still allows me to ride and to be comfortable then I'll gladly deal with it!

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!

Congrats Carrie!:monkeydance:

Sounds like you are healed up! Hope to see you at some Super D's this year.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Congrats Carrie!:monkeydance:

Sounds like you are healed up! Hope to see you at some Super D's this year.
The hand is holding up quite well. I will certainly hit up some races this season.

did you do downieville last year??? i love it out there. i'll definitely be there this year.
NO! I missed registration and you know how fast it sells out. I am watching the site like a hawk and the minute they open registration I'm on it. We went up there last summer for a wake though and the area was amazing. Can't wait to go back.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
NO! I missed registration and you know how fast it sells out. I am watching the site like a hawk and the minute they open registration I'm on it. We went up there last summer for a wake though and the area was amazing. Can't wait to go back.
i know. fills up super fast. if find out first about registration opening up i'll drop you a note. hopefully i'll see you out there! i'm already looking forward to it. such a fun event.

luvz2ridez

Monkey
Jul 19, 2006
Shoreline, WA
Whiteface is in Lake Placid, NY (northeastern).
I'm originally from MA and am planning to go home and visit the fam this summer, maybe I could drive out that way...hmmm, more summer trip planning? Where else do you ride? Anymore DH parks to check out?

I'm glad your knee is ok, how did you hurt it? Bike accident?

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
theresa - i checked out yr blog. the pic of syd in the swing from last november made me smile. she looks so ridiculously happy. very cool.
Thanks!!! I really am blessed with one of the happiest and easy going babies in the world! Someday I will have some actual riding shots (of Syd on her trike and maybe even me) to put up too ;)

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
I'm originally from MA and am planning to go home and visit the fam this summer, maybe I could drive out that way...hmmm, more summer trip planning? Where else do you ride? Anymore DH parks to check out?

I'm glad your knee is ok, how did you hurt it? Bike accident?
Sweet!!! I think it would be worth the drive up...especially when I can post up the details! We have some AWESOME local MTB trails that have everything from natural FR features to gruelling climbs too. I also DH at Diablo (Mountain Creek, NJ), Jiminy Peak (NH), Mt. Snow (VT) and Plattekill (NY).

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
hmm... didn't get in nearly as many spin classes this winter as I would have liked, my PT for neck sprain interfered.

I've had one real outdoors ride so far this spring.:disgust1:

What I have been REALLY busy with is advocacy work! In addition to being our local mtb club president, I am the coordinator for a local trail system/open space project. We've got about 30 miles of trails in a system that is heavily used but not recognized. No maps, no easements etc. We got a grant to put together a proposal to recognize the system: get all the different landowners, utilities, parks people into an agreement so we can make a map, apply for grants for trailhead development and so on.

www.fttrc.org if you want

I had not one, not two but three meetings this week about it, aargh!!

all for the greater good.:monkeydance:

T23

Chimp
Jul 13, 2006
Hi Treesaw when you get your knee brace you might want to look at a DonJoy, they work really good and they let in a good amount of air. Its been about 2 year since my knee surgery, and i've used my donjoy everytime i ride and do DH racing and it's held up nicely

luvz2ridez

Monkey
Jul 19, 2006
Shoreline, WA
What I have been REALLY busy with is advocacy work! In addition to being our local mtb club president, I am the coordinator for a local trail system/open space project. We've got about 30 miles of trails in a system that is heavily used but not recognized. No maps, no easements etc. We got a grant to put together a proposal to recognize the system: get all the different landowners, utilities, parks people into an agreement so we can make a map, apply for grants for trailhead development and so on.

www.fttrc.org if you want
You are talking about Beacon, right? Sounds great what you guys are doing out there! Major :thumb:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Hi Treesaw when you get your knee brace you might want to look at a DonJoy, they work really good and they let in a good amount of air. Its been about 2 year since my knee surgery, and i've used my donjoy everytime i ride and do DH racing and it's held up nicely
Thanks! My Dr. has already fitted me & ordered one of these:

Looks like a lot of hardware to me, but if it gets my kneecap to heal in the right place I'll be happy!

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
I haven't been riding much at all. The occasional commute to work is about it. I am desperately trying to finish up my masters, but I am managing to squeeze in a weekend of Dh in arkansas in two days. And boy do I need it.

miatagal96

Chimp
Feb 7, 2007
Cool....a mud hunny forum!!!

I'm trying to motivate myself to go to a spin class tonight...ate a whole bag of Famous Amos cookies to make myself feel guilty enough to go to class (how is that for a rationalization to eat cookies?)

Since our Valentine and St. Patrick's snow storms pretty much made trail biking impossible, I've been x-c skiing and doing a little spinning (to mountain bike flicks). Bought a new (my first) down hill bike and I'm really, really looking forward to going to the Whiteface mud hunny down hill clinic in July that Tree Saw is organizing!!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Cool....a mud hunny forum!!!

I'm trying to motivate myself to go to a spin class tonight...ate a whole bag of Famous Amos cookies to make myself feel guilty enough to go to class (how is that for a rationalization to eat cookies?)

Since our Valentine and St. Patrick's snow storms pretty much made trail biking impossible, I've been x-c skiing and doing a little spinning (to mountain bike flicks). Bought a new (my first) down hill bike and I'm really, really looking forward to going to the Whiteface mud hunny down hill clinic in July that Tree Saw is organizing!!
Hey there stranger!!! Hopefully I will see you on Tuesday night too :D

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Hey ladies! Winter was pretty mild in town this year so I've done a ton of riding. I had the studded tires on for my commutes and whenever it wasn't too icy I rode even more.

Race season is getting near so I'll be heading out most weekends to go to something. Hopefully I'll see some of the Oregon people around. :)

NJ Jess

Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
mtbnj.com
I've been down and out for the past 2 weeks with the stomach flu and now bronchitis. The trails are drying up here in south jersey. I'm going to do some TM with nycmtb.com on saturday. They have 13 dumptrucks of dirt for a new jump park in NYC. Then on Sunday, I'll do some local TM at Allaire. Finally, I'll bring out the singlespeed. I just wish i could stop coughing.

luvz2ridez

Monkey
Jul 19, 2006
Shoreline, WA
Well guys, the Hot Wheels clinic put on by Endless Biking was amazing...I learned so much and the coaches Kelli Sherbinen, Catrina Strand, and Lisa Lafroy were fantastic as explaining and really accentuating the movements so we could see exactly what to do. I highly recommend it. And at the end, they took us up for a ride, which happened to be my first time riding the North Shore, and I actually felt like I was not completely over my head riding that stuff. Although, I did not know I had so many muscles that could be so sore at once. How do people ride like that more than one day!?

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
Well guys, the Hot Wheels clinic put on by Endless Biking was amazing...I learned so much and the coaches Kelli Sherbinen, Catrina Strand, and Lisa Lafroy were fantastic as explaining and really accentuating the movements so we could see exactly what to do. I highly recommend it. And at the end, they took us up for a ride, which happened to be my first time riding the North Shore, and I actually felt like I was not completely over my head riding that stuff. Although, I did not know I had so many muscles that could be so sore at once. How do people ride like that more than one day!?
any tips you could pass on to the rest of us that you found particularly interesting?

luvz2ridez

Monkey
Jul 19, 2006
Shoreline, WA
any tips you could pass on to the rest of us that you found particularly interesting?
I always thought you were supposed to just apply equal pressure on both brakes at the same time, but that is not true when going downhill :poster_oops: . They taught us that when your rear wheel slides out going down a steep descent to let off the rear brake a little and the rear wheel will move back into place. And I actually used this going down Ned's on Seymour Mtn. Sunday afternoon.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
O.K.... so some of you ladies have expressed an interest in downieville. just letting you know that registration opens april 16th at 8am. if you are thinking of doing it, then don't delay. it fills up FAST.

NJ Jess

Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
mtbnj.com
been riding for 4 days now. Trying to "catch up" on base miles since I had that stomach flu and bronchitis. I'm still coughing, but the guys on the ride don't mind. Been riding the geared, SS, and today the DH. WOW. I only rode the DH 2 X last year in the backyard. Today, I was on the trail and finally understood how people get hooked on this stuff.

I ride with a lot of guys and they rip the corners,...big guys that lean hard. Wow,...I was doing it too!!!!! I have these 2.7 fat tires on my Rocky Mountain Slayer. I felt I was riding a LazyBoy recliner on the trails. It really sucked up the bumps, and although I had to stand on my pedals to go up hill,...it was grand!

One can't learn too much in one day, but today I was told to lean face first into the corners,...to weight both tires for traction,...and push the bike into the turn. Yea! The bike sprung back into the trail for more speed and traction!

I also learned I should do more push ups and core workouts. More is better,...strength is a definite plus. Hope to see you folks at Diablo!!!!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
been riding for 4 days now. Trying to "catch up" on base miles since I had that stomach flu and bronchitis. I'm still coughing, but the guys on the ride don't mind. Been riding the geared, SS, and today the DH. WOW. I only rode the DH 2 X last year in the backyard. Today, I was on the trail and finally understood how people get hooked on this stuff.

I ride with a lot of guys and they rip the corners,...big guys that lean hard. Wow,...I was doing it too!!!!! I have these 2.7 fat tires on my Rocky Mountain Slayer. I felt I was riding a LazyBoy recliner on the trails. It really sucked up the bumps, and although I had to stand on my pedals to go up hill,...it was grand!

One can't learn too much in one day, but today I was told to lean face first into the corners,...to weight both tires for traction,...and push the bike into the turn. Yea! The bike sprung back into the trail for more speed and traction!

I also learned I should do more push ups and core workouts. More is better,...strength is a definite plus. Hope to see you folks at Diablo!!!!
Definitely core workouts and strength training. It takes a lot of muscles to DH (and XC for that matter).

NJ Jess

Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
mtbnj.com
on Saturday. I will probably be off a bike for the week on the trip. I'm planning on going to the ships gym for weights, maybe they have bikes. Coming up with a cabin workout routine, but my 3 friends thing I'm going overboard. Oh, found some Dj (dirtjumps) today deep in the woods. Strange. Someone must have built these,...must have had a Bobcat to do it too. I will try them when I get back, don't want to hurt myself before the trip. Hope the spring weather comes back soon.

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
The countdown for Whistler memorial weekend has started and the training has begun. Finally, it doesn't rain every day here in Seattle and we can get down to the local Flow Park where they have all sizes of drops and jumps. We've been trying to go two times a week. I've stepped up my game this spring, gotten a new Roco shock on my Yakuza, and have my Whistler goals for this year. I want to do all 3 GLC drops, do the high steeps and do at least 3 of the practice drops - not sure if I want to tackle the 4th one yet as it's big! :eek: We'll see how it goes though. Definitely want to get lots faster... I think my big bike is set up for me now to really rip it.

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
A girl we know who's a really good rider did it last year. Even her hubby didn't do it. There was a pic posted. I believe it's over 10' as I think the third one is close to 10'.

Yeah Whistler, here we come!