Quantcast

What I did on my Autumn Vacation

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
So after being in the OC for about 10 months I recently took a trip back east to see friends and ride some familiar terrain. We took a trip down to Diablo Freeride park in northwest New Jersey, I’m sure you’ve heard about it by now…

Diablo was fantastic! The terrain is a good mix of really rocky tech sections, and some fast smooth flowy sections. They have put serious effort into making the trails fun (hint BB) by building bridges, ladders, putting transition on the drops (North East landings are typically flat), putting in nice berms, and building some great table tops!

Definitely a great place for the beginner/intermediate riders to learn, yet still fun enough for the advanced rider to really tear it up. This place is not as extreme as places like Plattekill (still my favorite) because there are no huge drops, and there are cheater lines everywhere. I personally would like to have seen some bigger stuff, but that’s just me. I was recently (post trip) told that the BMW trail has nothing to do with cars and everything to do with a little bike shop in the New York area… wish I had known that when I was there, maybe that has more crazy stuff? Regardless – I’ll be back next year!

The image quality isn’t that great because the lighting was difficult. It was cold and dark clouds one run… bright and shiny the next. Plus I was using a disposable camera, and my buddy was using his new digital at lower resolution to get more shots…

Heading up!

Exodus Trail – lots of drops and several ladders. Didn’t get too many pictures because we were having too much fun on the trail!!!

This looks tamer than it is b/c of the angle… it’s about a 6’ drop from the top of the rock until where he landed. As you can see by the tire tracks, you could also roll it if you wanted.

Bridge crossing

Roll out…

(nice reflector)

Twist Trail – Little section that was fun to session on.
Nice rocky approach to a drop, I like this sequence although it’s 3 different riders

Same drop, different angles

…to a ladder up and over a rock (with a 30 degree turn that I missed the first time!) and down a ladder (previous drop is in the background)…

…to another smaller drop. The rock/ladder can be seen in the background of the image on the right. You can also see the log roll option on one side, and a cheater line is behind the tree on the left.

Sachum (Sp?) – little section that was just fun to cruise through…

Side view of that last section

I’m not sure which trail these were on… but man do I miss rocks!!!

Dominion – TONS of fun table tops… shoot ya right up and over with very little effort, a total blast and a nice break towards the end of the day when your hands are just too beat up to handle the tech stuff. Unfortunately they were so much fun we didn’t take many pictures, and of the ones that we did; a lot were blurry or missed the action. This is Jen’s first time hitting stuff like this… looks pretty damn good!
(just after take off…)

I should be getting more photo's shortly (after the Red Sox win the world series so my freinds can send me the digital pictures).

TurnerGrl

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Metrowest MA
The rocky pics are from The Ripper - which ends with a sweet log crossing over a stream - unbelievably, none of us took a swim!!!

Too bad Boomer missed the pick of me descending Slayer.... :help:

Great time and man, I can't wait to go back next season!!!! :thumb:

Metal

President of FRONJ
Oct 17, 2001
Orange County, CA
Slugman said:
…to a ladder up and over a rock (with a 30 degree turn that I missed the first time!) and down a ladder (previous drop is in the background)…
When I was there 2 summers ago, I doubled from the first bridge, over the rock and onto the second bridge. It was just about the dumbest thing I have done. Well maybe not, but I landed on my front wheel only, and my back wheel missed the bridge to the left, but since I was leaning forward enough, I just rolled it out.

TYM

Monkey
Sep 10, 2001
Torrance CA
Metal said:
I landed on my front wheel only, and my back wheel missed the bridge to the left, but since I was leaning forward enough, I just rolled it out.
That's so ninja-like.

Nice pics and write up Slugman.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Metal said:
When I was there 2 summers ago, I doubled from the first bridge, over the rock and onto the second bridge. It was just about the dumbest thing I have done. Well maybe not, but I landed on my front wheel only, and my back wheel missed the bridge to the left, but since I was leaning forward enough, I just rolled it out.
I wish I had your skill... I hit that thing WAY too fast and heading in the wrong direction to get onto the second ladder. I tried to turn but it was too late - front end went off the side of the rock and I was flying. I tried to save myself and ended up hitting my right hand on the bridge, and proceeded to crash straight into the ground head-first. I lawndarted in and flipped onto my back... landing on the water pipes. My wrist still hurts... but luckily that was it!

I took that thing slow the rest of the time I was there!

EDIT* The crash was on the second run of the day, my first time on that trail...