Quantcast

what is a good pot set?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I gave up my pots and pans on the last move. I think I will be around for a while, so what is a decent pot set for the occasional cook.

I already have a teflon pot and pan for the day-to-day crap. I was thinking about stainless steel for durability. Any advice?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
There are tons of super high quality sets out there, it really just depends on what you cook and what you want to spend. Stainless is great but can be harder to clean up and the quality must be very high to avoid sticking and scorched food. If you can spring for it, get something that has a fat slab of aluminum on the bottom (or aluminum or copper sandwiched as a layer), it helps to distribute heat evenly - straight stainless will often give hot spots and lead to scorching. I don't like the basic calphalon grey aluminum stuff, but their non-stick is good and pretty cheap. If you have the time and inclination, consider individual pieces rather than a set. (The analogy is building a custom bike, with individually chosen components, rather than buying a complete bike.) IMO super expensive stockpots are not really worth it and they account for a lot of a cost of a complete set - you can get great aluminum stock pots with thick bottoms for cheap in some of the Asian markets on Clement Street (Kamei is probably best). Ask yourself what pots and pans you use most often and spend your money on those. Pick up a ten or twelve inch cast iron pan and learn to use it, they are relatively cheap, last forever with the right care, and are the best I've found for searing meat on typical weak home stoves, plus they can go in the oven.

I could go on forever but lastly I will strongly recommend a 4 or 5 quart chef's pan like the one below, they are great for combining pasta dishes and stir-fry style, I use mine all the time:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
You might hate his show, but the Emeril branded All-Clad stuff is what we got for a wedding gift last year. (the stainless set)

It rocks, and it's reasonably priced. Glass lids, triple layer bottoms, nice handles and finish.

http://www.emerilware.com/stainless.asp

Hint: Bon Ami cleanser.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Leave it to S.S. to provide a picture of the set, where it was purchased from and a price but no brand name or any real information about it ;)

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
binary visions said:
Leave it to S.S. to provide a picture of the set, where it was purchased from and a price but no brand name or any real information about it ;)
It's Costco's brand. (Kirkland)

:blah:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
If you want to go simple, amazon usually has some killer sales on open stock stuff. That way you can mix and match depending on what you need instead of getting locked into a set.

(I've personally never used my 8 inch frying pan. ****ing useless...)

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Silver said:
If you want to go simple, amazon usually has some killer sales on open stock stuff. That way you can mix and match depending on what you need instead of getting locked into a set.

(I've personally never used my 8 inch frying pan. ****ing useless...)
That's not a bad idea. As for the 8" frying pan.....what about for pancakes, sausage, grilled cheese, or maybe even omlette's? :confused:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
berkshire_rider said:
That's not a bad idea. As for the 8" frying pan.....what about for pancakes, sausage, grilled cheese, or maybe even omlette's? :confused:
An 8 inch frying pan has about a 6 inch bottom diameter.

It's pretty useless...except I did use it a couple of times for toasting small quantities of spices.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
berkshire_rider said:
Probably be more useful to a single person than anyone with a family. But I agree with Silver - they'll probably get used to toast pine nuts, spices, etc.

Besides - I hate eggs & pancakes on stainless. What a mess.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
We have this Analon Professional set we got for a wedding gift five years ago. Kind of pricey though for an occasional cooker. I use the hell out of them though and couldn't be happier. MBC dropped one of the glass covers and shattered it. We contacted Analon and they sent us a replacement free of charge. :)

Holy crap, it's only $200 at Amazon.com!? WTF? :think:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006910G/102-0697918-4489765?v=glance&n=284507

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
SkaredShtles said:
Besides - I hate eggs & pancakes on stainless. What a mess.
Drop your heat.

BTW - one REALLY nice thing about the Emeril pans is the way they curved the edge, you can pour liquids out with pinpoint accuracy. I use the saucepen in place of my tea kettle sometimes if I'm pouring alot of hot water - it pours that easily.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
H8R said:
Drop your heat.
I guess I could, but I just use my non-stick for eggs & griddle for pancakes. I don't have a pan big enough for cooking pancakes for my family. :D

BTW - one REALLY nice thing about the Emeril pans is the way they curved the edge, you can pour liquids out with pinpoint accuracy. I use the saucepen in place of my tea kettle sometimes if I'm pouring alot of hot water - it pours that easily.
Yeah - the Kirkland ones are like that. I poured off some bacon fat last night into a tiny little tin can. I was expecting the usual mess, but was pleasantly surprised how accurate the new cookware was. Hell - it didn't even drip down the side of the pan like my other set. :thumb:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
SkaredShtles said:
I guess I could, but I just use my non-stick for eggs & griddle for pancakes. I don't have a pan big enough for cooking pancakes for my family. :D
I love the look on my kid's face when I just make her one 12" pancake.

beestiboy

Monkey
May 21, 2005
Merded, ca
H8R said:
You might hate his show, but the Emeril branded All-Clad stuff is what we got for a wedding gift last year. (the stainless set)

It rocks, and it's reasonably priced. Glass lids, triple layer bottoms, nice handles and finish.

http://www.emerilware.com/stainless.asp

Hint: Bon Ami cleanser.

I have this set and really like it as well I think we paid $200 and All-Clad is usually double that.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
i use my 8 inch frying pan for everything. eggs, bacon, tofu. Any meal that I am fixing for myself. I hardly ever bust out the sauté pan unless i'm cooking dinner for tn and myself. I don't have a normal size frying pan. our set only came with the 8 inch and the saute' pan. I love it.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Silver said:
An 8 inch frying pan has about a 6 inch bottom diameter.

It's pretty useless...except I did use it a couple of times for toasting small quantities of spices.
that's what i use my only remaining cast iron pan for.

i would suggest:

- a good, large non-stick pan for eggs, pancakes and the like
- a good size stock pot for boiling pasta water
- a 3-4 qt saute pan

this will get you going, and later you can add stuff like braising pans or sauce pans.

i second H8R's call on the Emeril stuff...i hate the schmuck, but his line (made by all-clad, i believe) is very good for the price.

also check out the enameled/cast-iron thread; those are very useful and last forever.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
SkaredShtles said:
Just got this set from Costco for Xmas. Excellent heft. Haven't put them to the test yet, but I'm looking forward to good results:

Edit: Set was about $200, I think.

Got a set of those a while ago....they're bitchen.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I got a Silit pan stuff for Christmas. The Silargan stuff is quite amazing really. It's somewhat pricy, but it truly is quality stuff. :thumb:

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
those of you with the Emeril set...y'all still happy with it? fixing to finally drop coin on a set of cookware. want something good, and Emeril is on sale here. i've had my eye on the set for a couple years now...finally have a job, so i can afford it...somewhat.

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
My parents have a full Lifetime set that they got for a wedding present back in '73. I think a handle or two has worn out, but other than that the entire set looks like new. My mother is a farmer's wife so this stuff has been used almost every single day for what? 33 years? I've already called dibs on the set when they leave us. I don't believe it's in the cheap range, but its something that is going to be used for the rest of your life. I'd buy a set tomorrow if I wasnt going to inherit one...so basically, Im pretty useless for what you asked.