Quantcast

what is a time trial bike?

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I have been looking for a road bike lately. I have found a Litespeed "Tachyon" time trial bike. Is this bike well suited for regular road riding & maybe some beginer races? what makes it a time trial bike?

thanks skinny-wheeled-dudes!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
TT bikes are make to be very aerodynamic. Typically they will sacrifice comfort for speed. Might not make for the most comfy ride but I would guess that always depends on the specific geometry.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
after googling it, I found it is a tri-bike.

is that much difference?

it is a really good deal $1000 w/ 105 group & a fluid trainer ( i cant remember any more).

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
TN said:
I have been looking for a road bike lately. I have found a Litespeed "Tachyon" time trial bike. Is this bike well suited for regular road riding & maybe some beginer races? what makes it a time trial bike?

No it would not be very well suited to road riding. It has a 78 deg seat tube angle which sets you way over the bottom bracket into an aero position. A normal road bike is in the 72 to 73 deg range. The seat tube is going to be shorter as well because of the steep seat tube angle.

The handling would suck for normal riding nor would it be comfortable. As for racing it in a pack, I'd call it dangerous.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
TN said:
after googling it, I found it is a tri-bike.

is that much difference?

it is a really good deal $1000 w/ 105 group & a fluid trainer ( i cant remember any more).
Not much different.

Its a good deal if you need a time trial bike but that doesn't sound like what you are looking for.

The cool thing about road bikes is that you should be able to find a very good used bike for a good price. Specialized and Cannondale (for that matter most manufactures) also have new models that are nice in the $1000 to $1200 range.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
DRB said:
What size are you looking for?
52cm...although I havent been properly fitted yet.

thanks for the info. I will keep on looking.

I have a lot to learn about roadie geometry...among other things.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
TN said:
52cm...although I havent been properly fitted yet.

thanks for the info. I will keep on looking.

I have a lot to learn about roadie geometry...among other things.
You could probably go to a shop and have them give you a quick fit to verify that and even get a chance to try different bikes.

A used road bike isn't a bad deal. www.roadbikereview.com is a good source. Even ebay has a huge selection.

Good luck with finding a road bike. They are great to have especially when the trails are wet.

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
Heidi said:
Agreed, keep looking. They just aren't comfortable, or stable bikes for long distances
Like this and sh*t?

I thought time trial was like a state of mind where you ride like you were being timed? I feel that way.

lanman

Monkey
Nov 2, 2001
Natick, MA
like it was said before the angles are much steeper, they are not comforatable (for the average person, I find tri-geeks have an abnormally high pain threshold) and generally in that size frame you will find a 650c wheel if the frame has normal time trial/triathalon geometry

dhriderII

Monkey
Nov 26, 2004
good ol' culpep
good luck with finding a bike look at local pawn shops in my 2 cents i picked up a bran spankin new cannondale r600 for 500 bucks never once been riden well until i got it. but good luck.

mtnbikej

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
So. CAL.
DRB said:
Not much different.

Its a good deal if you need a time trial bike but that doesn't sound like what you are looking for.

The cool thing about road bikes is that you should be able to find a very good used bike for a good price. Specialized and Cannondale (for that matter most manufactures) also have new models that are nice in the $1000 to $1200 range.
Check out Felt bikes if you are looking for new road bikes. They offer quite a lot for a nominal price. Feltracing.com

mtnbikej

mtnbikej

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
So. CAL.
TN said:

This is a Time Trial Bike:

This is a Typical Road Bike:

See how the TT bike is designed way more aerodynamic and puts your weight lower and over the front end more. Not very comfortable for normal rides.

mtnbikej